(D1, ME) Everyone wants to be a Sailor (Play)

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Kakita Akihiro

Re: (D1, ME) Everyone wants to be a Sailor (Play)

Post by Kakita Akihiro » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 am

Having totally been here the whole time, Kakita Akihiro sat through the entire dramatic performance and even offered polite praise at the end of it. Kami knew why anyone would want to marry a Mantis even if they could write. But thankfully it was an Ide, who while not as excellent as the Kakita, were more than respectable sort and very kind besides. Though recently Akihiro had been questioning if the Kakita were so great...

He touched his mask and felt the cold steel to break those thoughts off. Time to look around and...mingle.
Crane | Kakita | Duelist | Newest Fashions | Disfiguring Scar

Honor: 66 | Glory: 42| Status: 35
ceremonial kimono or traveling kimono, daisho, silver chopsticks for hairpins, mempo, if needed palanquin, Ryuusuke the attendent

Shiba Tomoe

Post by Shiba Tomoe » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am

Present somewhere in the crowd, Tomoe had mostly stayed back from any other attendees and watched the play with clear enrapture. It was an excellent show to watch and way to relax after her day and afternoon sparring. She reacts at all the appropriate moments and applauds at the end. As it comes to completion, she wonders if she might discuss it with anyone.
Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Guard • Friendly • Down to Earth
Honor: 45 | Glory: 40 | Status: 25
Carries: clothing, daisho, corded amber pendant. For battle, ashigaru armor, yari, nagamaki.

Kaito Oubaihime

Post by Kaito Oubaihime » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:51 am

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:21 am

Slightly surprised by the appearance and approach of the Phoenix, the Lion bows almost on reflex.

"Ah, of course - it would be my honour to join you this evening."

Looking over the Kaito for a moment, he found he remembered the visage from the gift giving this morning, although they hadn't been formally introduced.

"Thought I don't believe we've formally exchanged names - this one is Kitsu Moshumaru. To whom do I owe the pleasure?"
The young lady bowed. "This one is Kaito Oubaihime." She took a seat beside the man. "It is an honor to meet you Lion sama. Has Inari blessed you this day?"
•Phoenix Clan •Shrine Maiden •Water •Clumsy •Softhearted •Lucky •Medic •Random Samurai #71
Smells like flowers
D7:carried a copper bells.
•H: Idealistic Samurai •G: Apprentice •S: Samurai and Monk

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:57 am

Kakita Sakura wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:36 am
Sakura is very appreciative- and giggles several times during the performance at the sheer ridiculousness.

“Usogawa-sama, I can't partake in the Game of Letters for… obvious reasons. Is this sort of thing common? These misunderstandings?”
Emiko had managed to keep herself from laughing too much as she was translating the play, but it was obvious she was enjoying it.

"It's actually more common than one might think. It's easy to misunderstand intent in haiku, ne? I haven't done many games of letters myself, or at least very few wrote to me."

There was a pause, before she added "if there was a way for you to partake in it, would you want to?"
Otter Clan * Kuge * Heir * Courtier * Dancer * Musician * Very Pretty(Dangerous Allure) * Clumsy * Profile
Courtship points: ?
Equipment: Fan, pretty clothes, makeup/perfume, pillowbooks (sometimes), Tea set (sometimes), Flute (sometimes), odd looking stringed instrument (sometimes)

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:02 am

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:57 am
Kakita Sakura wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:36 am
Sakura is very appreciative- and giggles several times during the performance at the sheer ridiculousness.

“Usogawa-sama, I can't partake in the Game of Letters for… obvious reasons. Is this sort of thing common? These misunderstandings?”
Emiko had managed to keep herself from laughing too much as she was translating the play, but it was obvious she was enjoying it.

"It's actually more common than one might think. It's easy to misunderstand intent in haiku, ne? I haven't done many games of letters myself, or at least very few wrote to me."

There was a pause, before she added "if there was a way for you to partake in it, would you want to?"
"Mmmmm, perhaps. But from what I understand, it is more than the simple words on the page, and I suspect that my own messages would... lack subtlety in comparison? I am perfectly adept at using poetry to convey my meaning, of course."

Sakura pauses. "The play itself was rather more conservative than I expected, I admit, given the reputation of this theatre."
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 am

Kakita Sakura wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:02 am
"Mmmmm, perhaps. But from what I understand, it is more than the simple words on the page, and I suspect that my own messages would... lack subtlety in comparison? I am perfectly adept at using poetry to convey my meaning, of course."

Sakura pauses. "The play itself was rather more conservative than I expected, I admit, given the reputation of this theatre."
"I don't think you would confuse someone enough to think you were from the Mantis at least?" Emiko brought up a sleeve to cover a giggle "sometimes subtle isn't entirely needed. It's the message that's important, and I believe in kakita-san."

She nodded at the last part.

"I believe they didn't wish to shock on the first day, I think it was more comedic in design. What kind of play style does Kakita-san prefer?"
Otter Clan * Kuge * Heir * Courtier * Dancer * Musician * Very Pretty(Dangerous Allure) * Clumsy * Profile
Equipment: Fan, pretty clothes, makeup/perfume, pillowbooks (sometimes), Tea set (sometimes), Flute (sometimes), odd looking stringed instrument (sometimes)

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 am

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 am
"I don't think you would confuse someone enough to think you were from the Mantis at least?" Emiko brought up a sleeve to cover a giggle "sometimes subtle isn't entirely needed. It's the message that's important, and I believe in kakita-san."

She nodded at the last part.

"I believe they didn't wish to shock on the first day, I think it was more comedic in design. What kind of play style does Kakita-san prefer?"
Sakura blushes gently at the compliment, smiling. "Hmmmm. Those that are heavy in dialogue, for obvious reasons, I think- I have a slight preference for kabuki over noh."
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:10 pm

Kasuga stokes the crowd to hiss at the Mantis rivals.

Those dopes aren't that clever. How did anything think it might be one of them? Now a Tortoise on the other hand....
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:50 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 am
[...]
"This one looks forward to providing any assistance Shiba-san might find himself desiring," she murmured just before the lights were dimmed, and she drew her gaze to the stage.
The play kept her rapt, and she smirked to herself smugly at the reveal that Yohachi no longer wished to marry Kitsu Rei, that his heart had lied to him, and his head won out in the end.
She grew thoughtful then. What an interesting take to perform at a miai.
Of course the play ends with a miai, and while Narumi feels called out by the constant misunderstandings of the main character, overall she very much enjoys the play all together, and adds her applause when it's over.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Kakita Sakura wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 am
Sakura blushes gently at the compliment, smiling. "Hmmmm. Those that are heavy in dialogue, for obvious reasons, I think- I have a slight preference for kabuki over noh."
"I've performed in a few Kabuki plays. They're a lot of fun, but I can understand a preference for noh. Kabuki is really energetic, the costumes can be really heavy too" Emiko shook her head "I remember falling off a stage once. It was so embarrasing."