Ask the GM

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Asahina Bo

Re: Ask the GM

Post by Asahina Bo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:52 pm

As a note to the discussion part of setting your stance on a turn is also setting your grip on your weapon.

The 'Prepare Item' action would be then to change that grip (based on what your opponent did) or to ready something else.

(Which is why I had left it off my summary of actions since that's unlikely to come up during Iaijutsu dueling)
Crane Clan Bushi • Guardian Gourmand • Gentle Giant • Overly Honest • Unintentionally Uncouth
Glory: 39 • Honor: 67 • Status: 35 • Courtship: 34

Always carried: Daisho, ceremonial clothes, rare spices, a peony pendant
Expecting trouble: As above plus lacquered armor, yari

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Saibankan wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:02 pm
I would apply the critical strike first, then the damage. Gives more of a passing out from shock but can still be roused feel as opposed to a stay down vibe
Sai, on this timing specifically, I just saw a discussion on it earlier today. It might chance your understanding or it might not, just pointing to it

https://www.reddit.com/r/rokugan/commen ... on_l5r_5e/

Specifically the comments:
There are three types of opportunities. "Normal" Opportunities that are resolved in the order of their spending; this is majority of Opportunities in the game.

"If you succeed" Opportunities, that are resolved in addition of the effects of your successful check.

"If you fail" Opportunities, that are resolved on top of whatever are the results of failing a given check.
And
To elaborate more: Critical from Strike is a "if you succeed" type of effect, which happen after resolving effects of your success. Effect of Successful Strike is to inflict damage.

If the wording was "Opportunity Opportunity: One target of your action suffers a Critical Strike", it would happen the moment you spend the Opportunities, and thus before damage.
Also - bumping Moto Mitsuki's question above that didn't get an answer :D
Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:43 pm
More duel questions:

Are we considered to be wearing Common Clothes of Resistance 1 during the duel?

If so, correct me if I read this wrong:
These clothes reduce damages, and therefore the fatigue we take, from normal strikes by 1.
They do nothing against critical strike created through opportunities.
If we suffer a "Close Call" critical strike, the duel continues, but the clothes become Damaged, and they have no effect anymore.
And a further Duel question:

I assume the "Iaijutsu Cut" techniques can *not* use 2Opportunity symbol to cause a critical strike in the same way as the normal "Strike" action, right? Since they're actually a different attack action? (each of the strikes with their own rules, also!)
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:30 pm

Asahina Bo wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:52 pm
As a note to the discussion part of setting your stance on a turn is also setting your grip on your weapon.

The 'Prepare Item' action would be then to change that grip (based on what your opponent did) or to ready something else.

(Which is why I had left it off my summary of actions since that's unlikely to come up during Iaijutsu dueling)
Ah... so wait, you *can* change your grip when you change your stance even without using an action, then?

EDIT: Aha! Nevermind, just found the reference to what you said! Pg. 251. for reference:
As part of setting a stance, a character may set the
grip with which they are wielding a weapon (see page
230). A character may also drop any number of items
on the ground. Readying a new weapon requires an
action, however.
Gosh... so much to learn with this system :shock:
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Sai, on this timing specifically, I just saw a discussion on it earlier today. It might chance your understanding or it might not, just pointing to it

https://www.reddit.com/r/rokugan/commen ... on_l5r_5e/

Specifically the comments:
There are three types of opportunities. "Normal" Opportunities that are resolved in the order of their spending; this is majority of Opportunities in the game.

"If you succeed" Opportunities, that are resolved in addition of the effects of your successful check.

"If you fail" Opportunities, that are resolved on top of whatever are the results of failing a given check.
And
To elaborate more: Critical from Strike is a "if you succeed" type of effect, which happen after resolving effects of your success. Effect of Successful Strike is to inflict damage.

If the wording was "Opportunity Opportunity: One target of your action suffers a Critical Strike", it would happen the moment you spend the Opportunities, and thus before damage.

Welp, guess it's stay down damage then. They really did not like glass cannon duelists from 4e it seems :) Alright, as per the understanding, it's after.
Also - bumping Moto Mitsuki's question above that didn't get an answer :D
Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:43 pm
More duel questions:

Are we considered to be wearing Common Clothes of Resistance 1 during the duel?

If so, correct me if I read this wrong:
These clothes reduce damages, and therefore the fatigue we take, from normal strikes by 1.
They do nothing against critical strike created through opportunities.
If we suffer a "Close Call" critical strike, the duel continues, but the clothes become Damaged, and they have no effect anymore.
Well I suppose you can duel naked if you really want to. Might cause some talk though. However, for the purposes of dueling, I am counting "Close Call" results as good enough to win a first strike duel. It's already hard enough to get the 2 successes and 2 opportunities needed for a critical strike, I don't want to force people to also have to worry about hitting between where someone might resist the strike denying the win and maiming them.

I assume the "Iaijutsu Cut" techniques can *not* use 2Opportunity symbol to cause a critical strike in the same way as the normal "Strike" action, right? Since they're actually a different attack action? (each of the strikes with their own rules, also!)

No, because then they become absolutely pointless for first strike and first blood duels outside of finishing blows.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:07 am

Bear-sama, another duelling question, specifically regarding the timing of receiving Strife for the Staredown phase for the purposes of the Mind's Edge Kata...

The rules on staredowns read:
"During the staredown, each character receives strife equal to the number of the round (...).
Additionally, after receiving this strife, each character who is not Compromised may bid additional strife(...).
Then, all simultaneously reveal their number, and each suffers that amount of strife, and adds it to their initiative for the round."

The Mind's Edge Kata reads:
"the next time you would receive strife, reduce the amount you receive by 3" and
"Void Opportunity symbol: This effect applies each time you would receive strife before the start of your next turn instead"

So... does that mean if you do 'not' activate the opportunity you reduce the 'per round' part of the staredown (but suffers any strife from the bid normally), but then if you *do* activate the opportunity you reduce the strife taken from both the 'per round' part and the bid part?

Thanks!

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:29 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:07 am
Bear-sama, another duelling question, specifically regarding the timing of receiving Strife for the Staredown phase for the purposes of the Mind's Edge Kata...

The rules on staredowns read:
"During the staredown, each character receives strife equal to the number of the round (...).
Additionally, after receiving this strife, each character who is not Compromised may bid additional strife(...).
Then, all simultaneously reveal their number, and each suffers that amount of strife, and adds it to their initiative for the round."

The Mind's Edge Kata reads:
"the next time you would receive strife, reduce the amount you receive by 3" and
"Void Opportunity symbol: This effect applies each time you would receive strife before the start of your next turn instead"

So... does that mean if you do 'not' activate the opportunity you reduce the 'per round' part of the staredown (but suffers any strife from the bid normally), but then if you *do* activate the opportunity you reduce the strife taken from both the 'per round' part and the bid part?

Thanks!
Seems good.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:55 am

For added fun, note that Iaijutsu Cut: Rising Blade (the default Iaijutsu kata of the Kakita) has been errated, changing its TN from 3 to "target's vigilance" (at rank 1, this will always be in the person using the kata favor).

EDIT: Especially as Vigilance drops to 1 when Compromised, so the kata will always strike against TN1 if used as a Finishing Blow... Or maybe 2 if the target is in Air Stance? Could rule points from all over the book could stop interfering with each other please?
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:18 am

Saibankan wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 am

No, because then they become absolutely pointless for first strike and first blood duels outside of finishing blows.
Just to be sure, in prevision of future games: This is a house rule right? Not something deeply hidden in an official errata or something?

Apparently, according to the Internet, the idea of the Iaiijutsu kata is that a true Kakita duelist, should spend their turn using the Center/Predict action, and only win through the finishing blow, instead of striking early like a mere brawler
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:21 am

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:18 am
Saibankan wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 am

Just to be sure, in prevision of future games: This is a house rule right? Not something deeply hidden in an official errata or something?

Apparently, according to the Internet, the idea of the Iaiijutsu kata is that a true Kakita duelist, should spend their turn using the Center/Predict action, and only win through the finishing blow, instead of striking early like a mere brawler
House Rule. Man, you're going to have to have some muddy Kakita to wait that long. Also, since finishing blow doubles the severity, and if you apply the kakita tech before the doubling, I'm not sure how Kakita don't just always kill their target XD

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:54 am

The Deadliness of a bokken is just high enough that a player might inflict the Lightly Wounded condition on their opponent if they fail their Fitness check to mitigate the Critical Strike effect. Or even the Severely Wounded condition in case of a finishing blow (since this doubles Deadliness).

So... Do the Shika provide healing?