Cedar trees, oak swords (D6 MA, Expecting)

Walking paths thread their way through flower and tree
Suzume Senseki

Cedar trees, oak swords (D6 MA, Expecting)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:11 am

Despite the rain, Senseki was back to the gardens, again looking up at the Cedar trees with a serene, pleased face. He knew 'getting to know one's style' was hardly a particularly good reason to call someone to meet during a miai... and yet here he was.

He kept thinking as he observed the water dripping from the leaves, then from his wicker hat, then from the leaves again. He should probably have written a poem instead of just a note. Perhaps he should try that later... he did like poetry, didn't he? Even if he had no training at all in it... he had even done quite well when showing his poetry skills a few days ago!

But then, what would he write about? Two bokken, one yam, one bokken, two heavens...

... it would hardly do. But then, perhaps he could just forget about that for now. Think about that later. Perhaps he should try writing more often...

...he raised his bokken and positioned himself in a gedan stance, smile back to his lips as he shook his doubts away. There would be time for doubt later.

Bokken down, he looked up at the cedar leaves again, then at the hem of his hat. The water poured down incessantly.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Mirumoto Haruhi

Re: Cedar trees, oak swords (D6 MA, Expecting)

Post by Mirumoto Haruhi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 am

"Quite the location for a duel ne? The towering trees, the movement of the rain, and before it all a Sparrow in a straw hat." comented Mirumoto Haruhi entering the clearing.
Dragon Clan * Duelist * Miai Candidate

"Shall we continue Kakita and Mirumoto's conversation then?"

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:04 am

Mirumoto Haruhi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 am
"Quite the location for a duel ne? The towering trees, the movement of the rain, and before it all a Sparrow in a straw hat." comented Mirumoto Haruhi entering the clearing.
"It would be, wouldn't it?", the Sparrow said with a contained smile as he turned to face her, then bowed low to her. "Much wetter setting than I'm used to, but a beautiful one nonetheless", he said with his head low. "Thank you for meeting me, Mirumoto-sama. Suzume Senseki, my pleasure. I had been hoping to make your acquaintance since hearing about your talent and your interests", he adds with his smile widening a bit, although his head is still low. "I... would like to ask one thing of you, if it wouldn't trouble you"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Mirumoto Haruhi

Post by Mirumoto Haruhi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 am

Haruhi bowed.

And I, Mirumoto Harushi would be honored to hear your request," she said before laughing a bit. "That....came out a bit stiffer than I intended."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Mirumoto Haruhi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 am
Haruhi bowed.

And I, Mirumoto Harushi would be honored to hear your request," she said before laughing a bit. "That....came out a bit stiffer than I intended."
Still bowing, the Suzume's smile widens a bit and he lets out a soft chuckle. "Well, this one's honoured that you'll hear it!", he says. Then, still looking at the ground. "Mirumoto-sama... as you might expect, I've heard a great deal about your family's sword-wielding style, directly from my honoured sensei.... and also from a great many stories."

He finally raises his head slightly to her. He'd like to tell one of these stories, of course... but now was not the time, so he just smiled before continuing. "Unlike Mirumoto-sama, this one couldn't claim to be an accomplished duelist, exactly, but... I would still be very honoured if I could experience your honoured style and famed skill. Perhaps I could even learn something that may improve my own technique in the future", he adds - clearly not as a challenge, per se, but friendly.

Mirumoto Haruhi

Post by Mirumoto Haruhi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Haruhi grinned at that.

"Of course, Suzume-san!" she agreed readily. "I've heard stories of Suzume duelists telling a story to focus their mind right before a duel. Is that true?

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 pm

Mirumoto Haruhi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:38 pm
Haruhi grinned at that.

"Of course, Suzume-san!" she agreed readily. "I've heard stories of Suzume duelists telling a story to focus their mind right before a duel. Is that true?
The Suzume raised his head slighty, although still bowing. "Thank you so much for humouring me, Mirumoto-sama!", he says, happily. Then he falls silent for a bit, thinking, before smiling again and starting...

"Well... telling stories plays a large part in focusing our minds and keeping our ties in many situations, I suppose! I suppose it's no different in duels", he says with a weak grin. "In fact... there's at least one story my family told of a Suzume duelist who became relatively famous in the 9th century. Suzume Hanashi I think was his name", he said thoughtfully, smiling. "As the story goes, he was as skilled with his words as with his blade, if not more... and more than once, it's said, a story he told to his opponent before the duel started gave him the victory even before the swords were drawn."

A weak grin. "Of course the story might be an exaggeration, but... well, you know, our people are known for stories, after all". Then, bowing to her again. "But forgive me for the long windedness, Mirumoto-sama!"

OOC:
Pasting the roll here!

D6 MA - Agenda vs Mirumoto Haruhi (NPC for the day, Haruhi for the Session)
D6 MA - Agenda roll vs Mirumoto Haruhi, hopefully. Earth/ Performance TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image

3 Success symbol; => Grants me 2 Agenda points

Mirumoto Haruhi

Post by Mirumoto Haruhi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:04 am

Haurhi chuckles a bit at that.

"Long-windedness, Suzume-san? I doubt you could even consider that a zephyr." she says. "There's always time for a properly told story....especially if it's about dueling. So many times the Empire has rested on the edge of a blade."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:09 pm

Mirumoto Haruhi wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:04 am
Haurhi chuckles a bit at that.

"Long-windedness, Suzume-san? I doubt you could even consider that a zephyr." she says. "There's always time for a properly told story....especially if it's about dueling. So many times the Empire has rested on the edge of a blade."
"Ah", the Sparrow smiles at her comment. "I hope it wasn't an uncomfortable breeze, then, at any rate. But, as you probably expect, I certainly agree!" A friendly nod at her, and he adds. "Might I ask which of the many interesting duelling stories is Mirumoto-sama's favourite, then?"

Mirumoto Haruhi

Post by Mirumoto Haruhi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Harushi snort at that.

"You're going to make me choose but one, Suzume-san? Such cruel austerity. The story of Kakita and Mirumoto Hojatsu, then. Probably the most popular story of dueling, just ahead of Kakita and Matsu. Both very important stories for very different reasons." she offered.

"And yourself, Suzume-san?"