Ask the GM

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Saibankan

Re: Ask the GM

Post by Saibankan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:28 am

Bayushi Mitsu wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:23 am
So, on strife...

(1) Are we allowed to take strife on a roll that exceeds our composure, as long as we started the roll with strife below composure? For example, if at 4 strife out of 10 composure (one can but dream!), if I then make a roll, can I keep dice showing a total of 7 strife? Or do I have to stop keeping dice once I get to 6?

(2) If the former, and I'm at 11/10 strife after the roll, I'm now compromised and cannot keep any dice with strife. But I can still roll and just only keep dice without strife? And my other option at that point is to either unmask, or wait until the next timeslot, where strife will reset to half-max? And in that next timeslot or following I can also pursue a passion to reduce strife.

(3) Lastly, at 10/10 I'm not compromised, correct? Just at the limit.
1) Yes, even if you are at strife = to composure, you don't enter compromised until the roll resolves, so you can take all those lovely lovely strife dice Good thing you reset to 50% at the start of the next time slot, neh?

2) Yes to every part of this.

3) Also correct. You don't break down until you hit 11+
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Seppun Unsei

Post by Seppun Unsei » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 am

Imperial ❀ Shugenja ❀ Professional Dumbass ❀ Benten's Curse ❀ Sixth Sense ❀ Affect of Harmlessness
Glory: Reputable Status: Average Imperial Honor: Average Profile!
Carries: Fan, smol knife, wakizashi, finger of jade, divination kit!

Wears: Unsei often is seen wearing star-covered robes in shades of black, dark blues, and gold. In the center of their forehead is a small birthmark in the shape of a diamond/star, and they always wear a hat with a short veil and tassels on it. Their hair is kept in a long ponytail that reaches down to their ankles.

"You might've heard of me. I was the Imperial that broke their toe falling out of a tree at Shiro Kuni."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 am

A question about stakes.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of betting in general and will more or less always find a way to complain about betting rules.

I'm under the impression only very few people are staking Honor/Glory on rolls, and I can understand why: Staking is already dangerous if you know the odds, as you're still betting on a good dice roll; doing it fully blind, not knowing at all what the roll will be about (Ring/Skill), just seems foolish.

Instead, would it be possible to do it on the same day, after looking what the event is about, simply by specifying it in the description of the first roll for the event? The risk would still be there, there would be no cheating possible (you cannot change a description on Sakkaku after the roll has begun), it would make staking more tempting, and it would still make sense in universe (simply boasting in front of the judge or in the bleachers instead of at the bar the previous day).

Though I guess this would be unfair to those whose favorite skills have been rolled during the first few days, and who played by the old rules...
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:28 pm

Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 pm

The problem with this is that glory is betting on whether or not you'll come in at the top tier. If you hold betting until you see the event, you have encouragement to hold off on participating until the very last minute, trying to figure if you can snipe top tier or not, which isn't fair to thee people who participated earlier.

I might, however, move honor betting to first roll, giving everyone the benefit of seeing the event before betting their precious honor on an event that suddenly as a high TN in it.
Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 am
A question about stakes.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of betting in general and will more or less always find a way to complain about betting rules.

I'm under the impression only very few people are staking Honor/Glory on rolls, and I can understand why: Staking is already dangerous if you know the odds, as you're still betting on a good dice roll; doing it fully blind, not knowing at all what the roll will be about (Ring/Skill), just seems foolish.

Instead, would it be possible to do it on the same day, after looking what the event is about, simply by specifying it in the description of the first roll for the event? The risk would still be there, there would be no cheating possible (you cannot change a description on Sakkaku after the roll has begun), it would make staking more tempting, and it would still make sense in universe (simply boasting in front of the judge or in the bleachers instead of at the bar the previous day).

Though I guess this would be unfair to those whose favorite skills have been rolled during the first few days, and who played by the old rules...

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:54 am

I was re-reading the rules on damage and critical wounds and I think I'm still confused about some things... I mean, both in general and how they apply to PbP.

So please bear with me (*drumroll*):

If you suffer the Lightly Wounded / Severely Wounded conditions, apparently you can only roll (and it's a difficult roll!) once per week to recover. That's like once per game... right? Are there other ways to remove these conditions that I'm missing? Or anything specific for the PbP environment?
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Asahina Bo

Post by Asahina Bo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:06 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:54 am
I was re-reading the rules on damage and critical wounds and I think I'm still confused about some things... I mean, both in general and how they apply to PbP.

If you suffer the Lightly Wounded / Severely Wounded conditions, apparently you can only roll (and it's a difficult roll!) once per week to recover. That's like once per game... right? Are there other ways to remove these conditions that I'm missing? Or anything specific for the PbP environment?
The RAW answer: Two rolls per week (one by another character with Medicine, one by the wounded character for natural healing) per injured Ring. Path to Inner Peace can remove also Lightly Wounded with an Opportunity spend.

Then any specialty rules our illustrious GM may mercifully grant.
Crane Clan Bushi • Guardian Gourmand • Gentle Giant • Overly Honest • Unintentionally Uncouth
Glory: 39 • Honor: 67 • Status: 35 • Courtship: 34

Always carried: Daisho, ceremonial clothes, rare spices, a peony pendant
Expecting trouble: As above plus lacquered armor, yari

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 am

Asahina Bo wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:06 am
Suzume Senseki wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:54 am

The RAW answer: Two rolls per week (one by another character with Medicine, one by the wounded character for natural healing) per injured Ring. Path to Inner Peace can remove also Lightly Wounded with an Opportunity spend.

Then any specialty rules our illustrious GM may mercifully grant.
I would say that if you suffer those conditions the Deer will provide healing to remove the condition. It'd be hard to be much of a catch in a miai limping around ;)

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:48 am

Saibankan wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 am
I would say that if you suffer those conditions the Deer will provide healing to remove the condition. It'd be hard to be much of a catch in a miai limping around ;)
Fair enough, thanks ! Asking also b/c they actually seem quite easy to come across, as they're among the least serious critical wounds :)

Thanks for the answers! (Also to Asahina Bo!)
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.