If It Weren't For Bad Luck, I Wouldn't Have Any Luck At All- Raizo Q and A

Here's where you can post questions to each other about the game, life, and everything after.
Shiba Raizo

Re: If It Weren't For Bad Luck, I Wouldn't Have Any Luck At All- Raizo Q and A

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:40 am

Kaito Oubaihime wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:34 am
Sad that Raizo and Aimi didn't get paired up.
Would you consider a Musha Shugo?
Raizo is a terrible samurai, and could well go ronin, depending on how things shake out... not a Musha Shugyo, but a full-bore "fuck all of you."
Will you visit those who you met in the way here in the future?
A lot of that would depend on their willingness to stomach what he might become. I mean... a lot of Raizo's story is the Phoenix in general and his family in particular just assuming he's going to be a dutiful soldier, and then shipping him off to learn all of the ways bushido's idiotic- and this whole process of the miai ultimately meaning absolutely nothing to his result (again, he's paired to someone he has literally never met, meaning the entire two weeks of jumping through hoops for the Deer is a total waste of his time, which means he has to question every order that sent him here), so... him choosing a selfish course of action? Entirely possible.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:09 am

What did Raizo actually learn during the miai, and what was he too stubborn to realize?
Shiba Raizo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:32 am
As for a good fight, I dunno, 5E's approach to fights makes me think it would have been... ugly.
Really depends of the type of fight.

Both Shiba and Seppun are good at Earth so assuming they both spam that stance for safety, at least at the start. They also both have access to the naginata, so no weaponry advantage here (truly this is a mirror match).

If both fighters are armored, with Striking as Earth as part of his school techniques, Raizo could put themselves in a situation where Yuzu can barely graze them (by spending as much opportunities as possible on Striking as Earth each turn).

On the other hand, Yuzu is quicker (Seppun School Ability), and I don't think Raizo can tank enough to offset the advantage of striking first without armor, especially with the high damage output of the naginata.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 am

The best Seppun School ever in all editions. Just for this single thing, I already enjoy 5E.
Imperial • Bushi • Kuge • Governor • Blessed • Dangerous • Precocious
Honor: Honor Is the Ideal • Status: Chisei District Governor • Glory: Reputable Samurai
DescriptionTheme

Wears: Iron Sheath, Daisho, (No Knife from D13 on)
Outdoor Gear: Lacquered armor, Naginata, Traveling Pack
Indoor Gear: Sanctified robes

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:25 am

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:09 am
What did Raizo actually learn during the miai, and what was he too stubborn to realize?
Hard to say, really... as of EM Day 14, what he learned is that the whole goddamn thing was a joke, since after two weeks of weird events and socializing, he's paired with someone he literally never spoke to (and who didn't exist before poor Sai had to make up NPC names). So what he learned is that the Deer are sadists who should probably be wiped out for the good of the human race :lol:

Too stubborn to realize? Honestly, drawing a blank on that, because... hurt and mad as he is, he KNEW not getting paired with Aimi was a real possibility, and tried to stay realistic about things. He didn;t even let himself think about how many kids he and Aimi might want because he knows the world is a shitty and unfair place- something the results plainly bear out for him.

And he didn't interact with enough people (seriously, all those open threads, and I think he maybe talked to like, half of the PCs who were active by the end) to not realize things about the people he talked to...
Really depends of the type of fight.

Both Shiba and Seppun are good at Earth so assuming they both spam that stance for safety, at least at the start. They also both have access to the naginata, so no weaponry advantage here (truly this is a mirror match).

If both fighters are armored, with Striking as Earth as part of his school techniques, Raizo could put themselves in a situation where Yuzu can barely graze them (by spending as much opportunities as possible on Striking as Earth each turn).

On the other hand, Yuzu is quicker (Seppun School Ability), and I don't think Raizo can tank enough to offset the advantage of striking first without armor, especially with the high damage output of the naginata.
Bold of you to assume he'd fight fair :lol:

Also, Raizo doesn't have Striking as Earth- he has Striking as Water. And he has Tactics 2, a skill he never once got to use the entire goddamn game :mrgreen:
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am

Well, even if you are a bitter ol' phoenix fighter, Mura's still happy to have him visit. Raizo was good fun. We had a lot of back and forth with little snippets. I imagine that's just their cadence, but i enjoyed it.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 am

Kitsu Murato wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am
Well, even if you are a bitter ol' phoenix fighter, Mura's still happy to have him visit.
And if he goes ronin to skip out on a marriage he finds contemptible to someone from a clan he despises, selfishly forsaking his duty (and effectively ending his family line within the Phoenix) for his own personal feelings?

I honestly feel like people are being a wee bit too forgiving of Raizo's possible actions here... :lol:
Raizo was good fun. We had a lot of back and forth with little snippets. I imagine that's just their cadence, but i enjoyed it.
I think Raizo has that sort of relationship with a lot of people, truth be told. He's pretty used to keeping everyone at arm's distance, since a lot of the people he associates with end up dead or horribly maimed...
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 am
And if he goes ronin to skip out on a marriage he finds contemptible to someone from a clan he despises, selfishly forsaking his duty (and effectively ending his family line within the Phoenix) for his own personal feelings?

I honestly feel like people are being a wee bit too forgiving of Raizo's possible actions here... :lol:
Even then. Because it's not his place to judge. It's Emma-Os. He wouldn't agree with the action but he'd understand it. No reason to hold his own pain against him.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:25 am

Bold of you to assume he'd fight fair :lol:

Also, Raizo doesn't have Striking as Earth- he has Striking as Water. And he has Tactics 2, a skill he never once got to use the entire goddamn game :mrgreen:
With Striking as Water only shining when several persons focus on hitting the same target, the number of enemies Yuzu has made through the game and that first comment, I think we can assume what would have happened quite easily.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Not a question, but Raizo and Narumi being gossiping bitches together with zero sexual tension was truly the best highlight of the game for me. So thank you for that!
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kaito Oubaihime

Post by Kaito Oubaihime » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:21 pm

I got to say I also enjoyed Raizo's stories about his little squadron bothering Bai.
•Phoenix Clan •Shrine Maiden •Water •Clumsy •Softhearted •Lucky •Medic •Random Samurai #71
Smells like flowers
D7:carried a copper bells.
•H: Idealistic Samurai •G: Apprentice •S: Samurai and Monk