When to apply Advantages and Disadvantages

Player etiquette and other mechanical considerations
Saibankan

When to apply Advantages and Disadvantages

Post by Saibankan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:31 am

While I do like the common sense method of when to resolve advantages or disadvantages, it may not be feasible for me to rule on every single possible instance of when an advantage or disadvantage might apply. Therefore, they will automatically apply if it is one of the specific skill checks listed in it's description, or a closely related one from the same skill group. However, if you encounter a situation where it would really make sense for an advantage or disadvantage to apply, you may alert me in your private forum and request permission to apply it. And as GM, if I see a situation where it clearly should apply, even if it's the wrong roll, I reserve the right to apply it as I see fit, and will alert players of such.

Examples of overrides:

The character that is Akodo Tempura's Kharmic Tie with has become lost in the woods, and Akodo Tempura has gone out to search for them. This is a survival roll, which is not in Kharmic Tie's description. However, feeling it would make sense that he should have some sort of sense or attraction to his kharmic tie, Tempura asks the GM if they can apply it to the roll, and the GM allows it.

A shady Yasuki is offering Doji Tofu some opium right before court. Doji Tofu has Addiction (opium). Rather than roll Earth/Meditation to try and resist the Yasuki's wiles (and triggering his disadvantage) Doji Tofu decides to instead launch into a freestyle rap about how winners don't do drugs to convince the Yasuki to changes his ways with Fire/Performance. GM notes that while it's certainly a creative approach, it HAS been awhile since Tofu had his last fix and informs Tofu to apply the disadvantage anyways.

It should be noted that neither an Advantage nor a Disadvantage should apply to every single roll. It's not fun to have permanent Unluck, and it's not fair to have permanent Luck. If you feel that your advantages or disadvantages are triggering too often, or not often enough, please alert the gm, so we can adjust gameplay as needed.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind