Side Goal: Everyone has an agenda

Player etiquette and other mechanical considerations
Saibankan

Side Goal: Everyone has an agenda

Post by Saibankan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:33 pm

Miais are more than just a chance to see your future spouse, as with any gathering of samurai, there's time to build, maintain, and utilized social connections long before the snows of winter.

Step 1: Choose an Agenda.

At any point if you do not already have an agenda in play, you may choose an agenda in your private forum under the following guidelines

1) The agenda must be conceptually within the realm of possibility that could be accomplished by those present and could logically be initiated by one or a few samurai lobbying for it.

Valid Agenda Examples:

-The local monks look into their records to find more information on an unknown ancestor.
-The Deer clan will exchange some students with a school of my clan.
-I secure a Winter Court Invitation at Kyuden Shika for myself.

Invalid Agenda examples:

-The Emperor names me as the Fortune of Awesome (While in the Emperor's power, he's not here, and it's not something a couple weeks of politicking could get you.)
-The Lion Clan enters into a permanent alliance with the Scorpion clan (Far outside the power of those in attendance to make happen)
-I become a kenzershin (While possibly within your power, it's not feasible within the timeframe of the game

The GM is the final arbiter of whether or not an agenda is valid.

2) Agenda involving/targeting PCs must have their consent to be valid. Politicking is not mind control, and you may not invalidate another player's agency. That being said, if a player approves you being able to blackmail, seduce, etc them, that is valid. If you are targeting a named NPC, the GM has final say as to whether it's valid or not. For the most part I will try to be accommodating, but if agenda are suggested that would be far outside the possibility of happening, in my opinion, they will be rejected.

3) You choose what skill and what approach you will typically take when pursing your agenda. Courtesy is a fine default, but it can be any relevant skill that pertains to your agenda. If you're going to pursue an agenda of people getting to notice how great you are with swords, Martial Arts Melee can indeed work.

Step Two: Pursuing your agenda

1) Swaying your fellow PCs: Once per timeslot, you may target one PC you are in conversation with that you have not targeted this session with an attempt to push an agenda (Yours or somebody else's). The TN is 2 with the relevant approach and skill noted above. Passing the roll grants that agenda one agenda point, plus one point per bonus success. Please note that success on this roll does not mean they agree with your position, but someone who saw you did.

2) Once per day, you may target one NPC listed in the cast guide (not random nameless peasants) you are in conversation with that you have not targeted this session with an attempt to push an agenda (Yours or somebody else's). The TN is 2 with the relevant approach and skill noted above. Passing the roll grants that agenda one agenda point, plus one point per bonus success.

Step Three: Changing your Mind

At the start of a session, you may pick up a new personal agenda. It should be noted that you can always choose to push another character's agenda instead of your own, it does not require a session change to do that. Only new personal agendas that you want to start pushing require a session change.

Step Four: Getting what you want

At the end of the game the top third of non-conflicting agenda pointwise will occur. It should be noted that named NPCs also have agenda and earn a certain number of points per day. Their pursuits can be aided by PCs who want to push their agenda, and their totals will go into the calculations as to which agenda get enough traction to get off the ground.

It should be noted that while NPCs have agendas strictly focused on marriage, these goals do not override them getting chosen due to courtship points first. It is not allowed to choose marriage to a PC as a goal unless that PC agrees to it, and again, does not override Courtship point picks. Marriage to one of the NPC candidates is acceptable as a goal, but again, does not override Courtship picks, merely influences them.

Example:

Final points tally of nine total agendas pushed throughout he space of the game:

A gets the apple: 60 points
B gets the banana: 50 points
C gets the banana: 40 points
D (NPC) marries E: 30 points
E (NPC) marries M: 20 points
F (NPC) gets the fig: 15 points
G gets the goat: 14 points
H gets a new horse: 13 points
I gets some ice cream: 10 points.

There are nine total agendas. Therefore the top 3 should go through. However, B and C conflict, there is only one banana and they clearly cannot split it. So agenda A B and D would go through. However in a tr4agic twist of fate, when we're scoring the main goal, D gets chosen by a PC for marriage before D gets to chose. Happily for E they get to chose M during the final courtship scoring. Therefore, the final resolution for the side game is A gets the apple, B gets the banana and E gets to marry M.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind