The stress game

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Moto Mitsuki

The stress game

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 am

So here we are.

I'm not a PbP veteran by any mean, but from the few I've partaken in, I've noticed a pattern emerging. If the game has a scoring system, in roughly its last quarter, the ambiance will change from "it's all fun and games" to "aaaaaaaaah, my whole life is going down the drain if I don't get an explosion on my next roll".

This degradation is of course amplified by the accumulated fatigue (even assuming a normal sleep schedule, a PbP is still yet another thing your brain has to reserve focus for), and will in turn make the game more stressful, less relaxing and thus more tiring.

This is not specific to this game at all. However, since this one is a marathon (one month and a half instead of the usual month), there are still three whole weeks of it to go through.

We're not at the point of no return yet... But taking the subject on after it's past would be quite pointless, wouldn't it?

So. How do we keep things cool?
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Asahina Bo

Re: The stress game

Post by Asahina Bo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:18 am

A big one is don't feel like you have to do everything or use every timeslot. That's just begging for burn out. Yes it sucks that I don't get to meet as many people or have as many fun interactions but I start or enter only as many threads as I know I can handle for the next few days at a time. Sometimes that's a lot sometimes it's one.
Crane Clan Bushi • Guardian Gourmand • Gentle Giant • Overly Honest • Unintentionally Uncouth
Glory: 39 • Honor: 67 • Status: 35 • Courtship: 34

Always carried: Daisho, ceremonial clothes, rare spices, a peony pendant
Expecting trouble: As above plus lacquered armor, yari

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:47 am

Always, always pace yourself.

The scoring metric is actually less significant, in my experience, than simple investment in piloting your character to whatever awaits them. "Winning" is broadly in the hands of Sakkakku, after all, since we're all so new to the system that only optimal builds are likely to be complete accidents.

I made a decision pretty early (once I found out it wasn't mandatory) to not have Raizo bother with agendas. Does it mean the Unicorn are getting aid against the Phoenix (whatever that ends up meaning) while the Phoenix appear to be doing absolutely squat as a Clan? Yeah, but it's not gonna cost me any sleep.

Also... build in contingencies in case someone you're joined to at the hip drops for whatever reason.
For example- If Aimi were to drop, Raizo's main personal and romantic plotline would pretty well collapse in terms of useful threads- just a side effect of how I've piloted him up to this point. Given how load-bearing she is to his story thus far, I've actually got a contingency plan (mostly talking about how great she is and how it's a bummer she's gotten sick). But it's also why I spam a lot of random pop-ups- because it establishes that my guy does other things in the course of his day.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:21 pm

All of the above.

Also, breathe. Take a day off; we'll miss you, but we'll welcome your triumphant return.

It's a game; having fun is the only victory!
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 pm

I'm here for the fun and the drama. If I fail rolls, drama and fun. If I succeed, fun and drama.

Yet, I confess keeping tabs on strife is kind of hard since it fluctuates so much. Also, nice that in D8 event we have TNs changing for other Rings. I wouls suggest adding the disads and ads that would trigger at them, too.
Imperial • Bushi • Kuge • Governor • Blessed • Dangerous • Precocious
Honor: Honor Is the Ideal • Status: Chisei District Governor • Glory: Reputable Samurai
DescriptionTheme

Wears: Iron Sheath, Daisho, (No Knife from D13 on)
Outdoor Gear: Lacquered armor, Naginata, Traveling Pack
Indoor Gear: Sanctified robes

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 pm
I wouls suggest adding the disads and ads that would trigger at them, too.
While I 100% agree on the theory of this, the fact the (dis)advantages, and the skills commonly associated with them, are spread through all the books, is likely to make composing such a list "quite a pain in the ass".
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:44 pm
While I 100% agree on the theory of this, the fact the (dis)advantages, and the skills commonly associated with them, are spread through all the books, is likely to make composing such a list "quite a pain in the ass".
There's truth in this. I usually address it by giving a representative list. But that'll have limits, too.
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:02 pm

Well, I've muted the game Discord's channel for a start.

While Discord is useful when setting up a game, I find it just toxic during the game itself. It encourages (including from myself) immediate, raw, emotional responses that one would never have written down if they had taken a little more time to think about them. Plus, due to the constant flow of new, unfiltered messages, any piece of actually useful information, will quickly be lost at sea, sometimes mere minutes after it has been given, certainly after any long period offline (sleep, work, real life...). Likely by design.

In other words, it feels like half the time spent on Discord during the game is to fix issue occasioned by the use of Discord itself (Ask. Your. Questions. On. The. Forum), with a bunch of stress offered as a bonus.

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:11 pm

I found, in my moment of “ack” that taking it to DMs and focusing on the player-player relationship helped a lot.

I think, ultimately, most of will get along in the way a tabletop party does if we remind each other that we’re here for a common purpose. And if we act towards trying to work through things. It feels easier to forget there’s another human typing into the ether here than in person.

Also, getting a non-invested eye to check a conflicting moment can be great for noticing where one has failed as well,

Thanks for starting this thread. As a total newb, this is helpful.
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:57 pm

There are two big ways I can think of to reduce stress levels in a game:
A) First is to think of your character as "the NPC I'm playing", as opposed to one's personal character.
B) Set out some kind of story goal which doesn't require dice before you play.

With A), this kind of detachment makes it easier to get along and enjoy the game despite losses. This is because in this mindset it is not you losing because of a bad roll, it's (in my case) Kitsu Moshumaru suffering because he couldn't bring himself to succeed. By making this distinction, it's also easier to let yourself not worry about things such as filling every time slot,

With B), it means you can almost guarantee some kind of forward momentum, even if the dice don't work out. If your character has a goal of telling people about their home town, for example, then they can advance that goal win or lose.
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired