Ask the GM

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Suzume Senseki

Re: Ask the GM

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 am

Another question on the duel scoring system, from my duel with Nesshin:

If one duellist has *not* Met their objective (I.e. no critical strike inflicted), but has inflicted enough fatigue to get more total points, do they still count as "winning" in some way?

Or does meeting the objective trump points?

(In the former case.... This might use a change in next games maybe! :D )

Thanks!
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:12 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 am
Another question on the duel scoring system, from my duel with Nesshin:

If one duellist has *not* Met their objective (I.e. no critical strike inflicted), but has inflicted enough fatigue to get more total points, do they still count as "winning" in some way?

Or does meeting the objective trump points?

(In the former case.... This might use a change in next games maybe! :D )

Thanks!
I put achieved the crit as the primary scoring mechanic, and put duel scoring system after it for purposes of tiering. If you get a crit, you're very likely going to be higher tier, since that was the point of the excercise, not run up the duel scoring mechanic by beating them with a stick.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am

Asahina Bo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:59 am
For consideration for future games:

When researching deadliness it came up that Kiho, unless otherwise noted, have a deadliness of 8 which, frankly, is mind-boggling. It surpasses any weapon, falling vast distances, having a person dropped on you, etc. and only the most powerful (or lucky) shugenja will come close with spell deadliness.

Given that there are rank 1 attack kiho without specified deadliness (that would replace the 8) that makes kiho-wielders a lot more dangerous, even with a starting character, than others. (Also if a kiho-wielder ended up in a duel and cheated to just kiho-punch their opponent for the Finishing Blow they would be dealing Instant Death severity critical but hopefully monks will be avoiding duel or being honorable...)

Some potential fixes, if you think it should be fixed:

Have unarmed attack kiho use unarmed attack deadliness not kiho deadliness. It still means some of the more mystical damage dealing ones can be super deadly but those are less common and usually higher ranks. (This might even be the rules' intent but I couldn't find it spelled out anywhere)

Have kiho use the ritual/maho deadliness rules (Deadliness = ring used for check + bonus successes)
I think this one might be on purpose actually. Sure, 8 is crazy high, but a two-hand katana/wakizashi is Deadliness 7 already (so just one less), and can be increased to 8 with a single opportunity (due to being Razor-Edged).

So, for the Togashi to fire punch in the same category as samurai slash, Deadliness 8 is actually on par. Maybe one or two points too high, but nerfing it that hard would just make breathing fire worse than using a knife (Deadliness 6 when two-handed).

EDIT:

Example:

Akodo Bob uses a Strike attack with a katana, rolling exactly the two success required. Their (rank 1) School Ability adds another, bonus one, so they hit at range 1 for 4+1=5 damages and 5+2=7 deadliness.

Togashi Alice uses her Air Fist kiho, also rolling exactly two success. Their (rank 1) School Ability grants them another success, allowing them to trigger their Burst Effect and to hit a target at Range 0-1 for 3 damages (assuming their Air Ring is of 3) and 8 deadliness.

Now, was Bob to roll more success, they could increase their own damages by 1 for each extra success. Having more opportunities would be even better, as they could increase deadliness (razor-edged) and/or trigger an automatic critical.

Meanwhile, Alice's is still locked into 3/8, and the Burst Effect cannot (unless I've missed another sidebar) trigger a critical except if it hits someone already incapacitated.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Will we get a breakdown of votes cast for endgame, or will you only reveal the winners?
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:36 am
Is there an in-game roll we can make to find out if we're on an NPC's list?
Bumping this and wondering if NPCs will have let people know if they're likely "on the list" as players are expected to do.

Because it's almost decision day and we have at least a couple NPCs in a position to make crazy things happen if they have lists (as I was thinking was said at some point) including PCs with high point totals. Those players may believe they "control their own destiny" and could be wrong.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Hmmm. Sorry for the delay in response. Those darn page flips.

I suppose it'd be Water/Courtesy as you ask around the Deer to see if any of them give up hints as to what the Deer's thinking is on such matches. We'll say Water/Courtesy. TN concealed, so you get a void point back.

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Usogawa Narumi wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm
Will we get a breakdown of votes cast for endgame, or will you only reveal the winners?
I think just the winner. There's a chance for hard feelings either way, but I'd rather you have hard feelings at me, than at your fellow players for not voting the right way.

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:20 pm

Saibankan wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm
Usogawa Narumi wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:13 pm
I think just the winner. There's a chance for hard feelings either way, but I'd rather you have hard feelings at me, than at your fellow players for not voting the right way.
Valid! Thanks!
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Saibankan wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm
Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Hmmm. Sorry for the delay in response. Those darn page flips.

I suppose it'd be Water/Courtesy as you ask around the Deer to see if any of them give up hints as to what the Deer's thinking is on such matches. We'll say Water/Courtesy. TN concealed, so you get a void point back.
Same rules as with agenda-ing, so we can't scope out the terrain/rumor mill if we're doing other mechanical stuff in that time slot?
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Same rules as with agenda-ing, so we can't scope out the terrain/rumor mill if we're doing other mechanical stuff in that time slot?
Nope! Do it whenever you want....but you only get to do it once. It reflects you running about and asking the Deer, if you don't find out, you don't find out.