Ask the GM

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Saibankan

Re: Ask the GM

Post by Saibankan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:25 am

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:14 am
Because of this:
Busy Bee: Highest post-count at game end: 5 Courtship points (GM will disqualify those who spam to achieve this)
Could you when game has started remove posts counts from OOC/PFs counting as part of post counts so we get a more accurate number? People are nearly on/over 100 posts already and the game hasn't started
Well, no for a couple of reasons.

1) My skills in pbp forum are not nearly strong enough to do that.

2) Busy Bee was always likely to go to someone who spends a lot of time in ooc. Just like MM should go to someone with really sharp rp skills, and social butterfly will go to someone who consistently pushes agenda and so on and so forth. Each special award is to reward certain player behaviors and well...I wanted to give something to the peeps who come and share things consistently in ooc rather than just sticking to discord since we've got players not in the discord. There's lots of opportunities for points in the game, so this is my thank you for people engaging in it, even if they can't roll the best in events, they still bring something special to the experience.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:46 am

I feel like rewarding potential OOC/PF spam with in character points for the main that could cause a player to lose a position and a pick/go to another clan isn't really great. While I agree that it's good to talk in the OOC, and I don't think putting a reward on it has made people post more, it would be incredibly feelsbad for someone to lose their main pick because of OOC posts.

Edit: Even more so when some people were able to register 2-4 weeks before others and begin to shoot up a post count.
Otter Clan * Kuge * Heir * Courtier * Dancer * Musician * Very Pretty(Dangerous Allure) * Clumsy * Profile
Courtship points: ?
Equipment: Fan, pretty clothes, makeup/perfume, pillowbooks (sometimes), Tea set (sometimes), Flute (sometimes), odd looking stringed instrument (sometimes)

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:46 am
I feel like rewarding potential OOC/PF spam with in character points for the main that could cause a player to lose a position and a pick/go to another clan isn't really great. While I agree that it's good to talk in the OOC, and I don't think putting a reward on it has made people post more, it would be incredibly feelsbad for someone to lose their main pick because of OOC posts.

Edit: Even more so when some people were able to register 2-4 weeks before others and begin to shoot up a post count.
Well, I think, "shoot up a post count' is perhaps overstating things a bit. The earliest birds were here looking for obvious errors in the rules/descriptions which was mostly communicated to me over discord, because I wanted things to look nice/run nice for everyone. Mostly I just wanted to give it as a little present for engaging with the,game regardless of whether it was pre-game excited talk in OOC, or still doggedly posted in the late days of the game when people have wandered off to fight rl no oni.

However, if it's going to lead into arguments about 'what is spam' and accusations of gm favoritism, then it's harm is clearly outweighing it's good. Therefore, I'll do the thing that is fairest for all the players, and simply remove the Busy Bee award.

Kitsuki Hajime

Post by Kitsuki Hajime » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Not a pressing question, but for connection purposes: Where was last year's Imperial Winter Court?
* Dragon Clan * Courtier * Dangerous Allure * Fashion-conscious * Preening * Striking a Pose * Inquisitive *

Courtship Points: 17 Honor: 52 Glory: 44 Status: 30

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Kitsuki Hajime wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm
Not a pressing question, but for connection purposes: Where was last year's Imperial Winter Court?
Kyuden Otomo. Rumors that it was held there because the Emperor is too old to travel to courts further from the capital are, of course, completely unfounded, untrue, and blasphemy. Surely if the Emperor willed it, he could have held it in Kyuden Hida, standing shoulder to shoulder with the warriors of the Crab.

It was...um....just the Otomo family's turn to hold such an honor.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Is it possible for a player to create an agenda that their character is not overtly aware of? Something that the player would work toward but the character does not realize they may be affecting? Ex: Earn the attention/blessing of an ancestor/animal/trickster spirit.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Kitsu Murato wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm
Is it possible for a player to create an agenda that their character is not overtly aware of? Something that the player would work toward but the character does not realize they may be affecting? Ex: Earn the attention/blessing of an ancestor/animal/trickster spirit.
Hmm, interesting thought. I suppose it's theoretically possible, you'd just have to figure out what your character does do to push things that way. Something like Void/Theology as you offer prayers to the Heavens not directly petitioning your ancestor for their attention, but honoring them. Or something like Water/Survival as you go around tending the local wildlife gaining the attention of an animal spirit.

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:55 pm

A related question - how aware are we IC of various NPC's agendas at the beginning of the game? Do we need to learn about them, or do we have a general idea, or does the answer vary by person?
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:02 pm

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:55 pm
A related question - how aware are we IC of various NPC's agendas at the beginning of the game? Do we need to learn about them, or do we have a general idea, or does the answer vary by person?
As aware as you care to be. In an ideal world, you'd interact with the npcs, chat with them, and it'd come up naturally over conversation. However, multiply a couple dozen npcs by a couple dozen pcs and we learn just how limited our time on earth truly is XD So you can justify it with "Hey, i interacted with this npc" or "Hey, overheard this npc is..." Know whatever you need to to enhance your story. Ignore the things you don't want to or don't care to know. The town is alive, and not every conversation need happen on screen.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:24 am

Query-
This occurs as long as you have not gone more than 24 hours without three consecutives time slots of sleep. If you have gone more than 24 hours without sleep, you will need to sleep for at least 6 consecutive hours (three times slots) to regain this recovery ability.
So as written... you cap out at needing three time slots of sleep, regardless?
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe