Ask the GM

Chat, character planning, and whatever else you the player need to say publicly.
Asahina Bo

Re: Ask the GM

Post by Asahina Bo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:00 am

From Discord:
Normally when entering a stance you ready your weapon. Is that true of entering the stance automatically after initiative?
This only applies to changing grips if the weapon is already readied.
Crane Clan Bushi • Guardian Gourmand • Gentle Giant • Overly Honest • Unintentionally Uncouth
Glory: 39 • Honor: 67 • Status: 35 • Courtship: 34

Always carried: Daisho, ceremonial clothes, rare spices, a peony pendant
Expecting trouble: As above plus lacquered armor, yari

Asahina Bo

Post by Asahina Bo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:25 am

So Water stance says you can take two actions that are not of the same type as long as only one is a check... then the book does not label what types the duel actions are.

Strike is obviously Attack but what about the rest?
Crane Clan Bushi • Guardian Gourmand • Gentle Giant • Overly Honest • Unintentionally Uncouth

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:37 am

Asahina Bo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:25 am
So Water stance says you can take two actions that are not of the same type as long as only one is a check... then the book does not label what types the duel actions are.

Strike is obviously Attack but what about the rest?
Uh? They're specified (Core, page 260). Maybe it was missing from early editions of the book?

In all cases, here what's the book says:

Calming Breath/Center/Prepare Item: Support
Predict: Attack and Scheme
Strike: Attack
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Asahina Bo

Post by Asahina Bo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:39 am

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:37 am

Uh? They're specified (Core, page 260). Maybe it was missing from early editions of the book?

In all cases, here what's the book says:

Calming Breath/Center/Prepare Item: Support
Predict: Attack and Scheme
Strike: Attack
Ahhh I was looking for a tag but it's in the description... of course. thanks!

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 am

Yet another technicality found, on which we need your input. From the book:
When fought to the first strike, the duel objective is to inflict a critical strike on the opponent.
A duel draws to a close at the end of any round in which one or more characters achieve their objectives
However, just achieving the duel objective is not always sufficient for victory; both characters might achieve their objectives within the same round
As written, if a character gets a critical strike on their opponent, but that opponent has yet to act that round, they still get one opportunity to strike, assuming they're not bleeding on the ground (from a fluff perspective, they're acting close enough to simultaneously).

If that's the case and they successfully hit, the winner might not be the one that got the actual first strike, but the one has to instead refer to the page 261 table and tally up points. There's a good bonus for the one who struck first (+3), but if the other side managed to inflict way more damages, they might still win.

EDIT: Technically, one could win without ever achieving a critical hit, but that's just impossible at our level (they would need to inflict at least 15 points of damage in their single counterattack strike)
EDIT2: Also the opponent could possibly trigger the Finishing Blow if the original attack left the first striker Compromised, for two attacks a round...
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm

As an addition to Mitsuki's question - the way some of the entries in the duel scoring table interact in different types of dues confuse me a bit:
  • Achieved your objective: +6 points
  • Struck the enemy first: +3 points
  • Inflicted fatigue on the enemy: +1 point per fatigue
  • Inflicted one or more critical strikes on the enemy: + points equal toseverity of the highest critical strike (after reductions)
  • Killed the enemy (in a duel to the death only) 14 points
  • Unmasked: –2 points
  • Was witnessed cheating: Automatic loss
One thing that confuses me a bit: Should "Struck the enemy first" be read as 'actually hit'... that is, "Inflicted one or more critical strikes"?
In that case, the first to inflict a critical strike would have both "achieved the objective", "struck first" and "inflicted one or more criticals"... right? (And "inflicted fatigue" as well I guess!). This would be more 'logical' I guess, but then it pretty much stacks points for the same single thing, so not sure if that was the intention?

If "Struck the enemy first" is read as "attacked first" instead, then even attacks that did not cause a critical count, right? So the first one to attack - even just for a bit of damage - would gain the +3 bonus from 'stuck first' and some points from 'inflicted fatigue' (possibly giving them a chance to win in a duel to first strike even if they do not actually cause a critical? I mean, it's unlikely, but possible I guess?

So... which one is it? :?
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:32 pm

And a much simpler question! For the purposes of game-end bookkeeping, is this thread good enough, or do you want me to add the end results somewhere else? :)

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=764

Thanks!

EDIT:
Shit, there's one more! Could the Suzume technique be used to add successes to someone else's Initiative (for the event, I'm assuming we're all in the same area?)?! I just noticed the possibility and thought it was worth asking!
Suzume Storyteller Technique wrote: You may roll Performance anytime you would use the
meditation skill, provided your character tells a story.
Once per session, you may have a number of allies equal to half
your school rank(rounded up) benefit from your roll, gaining
the benefit of success but not any opportunities or strife.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:37 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm
As an addition to Mitsuki's question - the way some of the entries in the duel scoring table interact in different types of dues confuse me a bit:
  • Achieved your objective: +6 points
  • Struck the enemy first: +3 points
  • Inflicted fatigue on the enemy: +1 point per fatigue
  • Inflicted one or more critical strikes on the enemy: + points equal toseverity of the highest critical strike (after reductions)
  • Killed the enemy (in a duel to the death only) 14 points
  • Unmasked: –2 points
  • Was witnessed cheating: Automatic loss
One thing that confuses me a bit: Should "Struck the enemy first" be read as 'actually hit'... that is, "Inflicted one or more critical strikes"?
In that case, the first to inflict a critical strike would have both "achieved the objective", "struck first" and "inflicted one or more criticals"... right? (And "inflicted fatigue" as well I guess!). This would be more 'logical' I guess, but then it pretty much stacks points for the same single thing, so not sure if that was the intention?

If "Struck the enemy first" is read as "attacked first" instead, then even attacks that did not cause a critical count, right? So the first one to attack - even just for a bit of damage - would gain the +3 bonus from 'stuck first' and some points from 'inflicted fatigue' (possibly giving them a chance to win in a duel to first strike even if they do not actually cause a critical? I mean, it's unlikely, but possible I guess?

So... which one is it? :?
The former. "Inflicted a critical strike first" not "Hit for a bit of damage first." It's supposed to favor the person who did the thing first in the case of an iaijutsu duel. It's written the way it is so if you're not doing an iaijutsu duel, the system still stands.

Like if you're doing a "To defeat" duel, Hitting first and achieving your objective are two very different things.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:32 pm
And a much simpler question! For the purposes of game-end bookkeeping, is this thread good enough, or do you want me to add the end results somewhere else? :)

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=764

Thanks!

EDIT:
Shit, there's one more! Could the Suzume technique be used to add successes to someone else's Initiative (for the event, I'm assuming we're all in the same area?)?! I just noticed the possibility and thought it was worth asking!
Suzume Storyteller Technique wrote: You may roll Performance anytime you would use the
meditation skill, provided your character tells a story.
Once per session, you may have a number of allies equal to half
your school rank(rounded up) benefit from your roll, gaining
the benefit of success but not any opportunities or strife.
That's fine.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:02 pm

Imperial • Bushi • Kuge • Governor • Blessed • Dangerous • Precocious
Honor: Honor Is the Ideal • Status: Chisei District Governor • Glory: Reputable Samurai
DescriptionTheme

Wears: Iron Sheath, Daisho, (No Knife from D13 on)
Outdoor Gear: Lacquered armor, Naginata, Traveling Pack
Indoor Gear: Sanctified robes