[D9EE] The oral history of the Moto tribe (Expecting)

The woods surrounding Kyuden Shika
Moto Mitsuki

[D9EE] The oral history of the Moto tribe (Expecting)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:34 am

Two riders make their way into the depth of the forest. One, on a big gaijin horse, is talking a lot, and is unmistakably Mitsuki.

"One cannot understand the history of the Moto, material and spiritual, without starting with horses. That's it's a cliché does not make it any less true."

Mitsuki stroked the head of her own mount.

"The Sands, as well as some of the lands bordering them, are not welcoming to anyone. With a very few exceptions, the places where one can live, where water, food, respite from the sun are available, are few and far between, spread through a gigantic territory, and with only so few resources that can only support that many people and beasts during so much time, and only at a certain period of the year.

The solution to this conundrum? Always be on the move. Leave before the pasture is fully drained, and return the next year, or after a couple of years, when it will have grown back. The Sands are thus frequently traversed with migrating herds, one or more tribes going from one of their safe spots to the other.

The issue is, one simply cannot walk the Sands. Have you tried to walk, to run, on sand? On a Crane beach maybe? Far more exhausting than on solid ground isn't it? Now imagine if you had to travel the whole Crane shore in these conditions, while only being allowed to drink the water you were carrying on your back. That's the definition of impossible for normal humans.

Here come in the domesticated animals of the desert people. Goats, cows, camels, that have both naturally evolved and be bred especially for the purpose of walking tirelessly in such dire conditions.

And of course, horses.

Horses are your lifeline in the desert. You only live because they allow it. The horse can survive without. You cannot survive without them. In the desert, murdering a horse is a crime as grave as murdering a human, because killing the mount is akin to killing the rider.

To take a less gloom example of the importance of horse, one of the legends of the Moto tell what when one of the Ujik tribes saw Shinjo approaching, they look at her with disdain in spite of her being a literal god, a giant among humans, radiating with the power of heavens. But when they saw the steed Utaku Shiko was riding, they prostrated themselves."
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Asahina Soyokaze

Re: [D9EE] The oral history of the Moto tribe (Expecting)

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:55 pm

Soyokaze listened attentively while he wrestled with his pony, urging it to keep pace with the larger animals strides. "Why stay? Especially with the people being so accustomed to travel and finding new lands why try to live somewhere so hostile to life?"
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Mitsuki had Avel slow down to remain at the same level as the struggling Crane, ready to help if need be:

"First, most Moto did leave and now live in the Unicorn lands east of the desert.

Second, for unwelcoming that the place may be, it is one of the most important commercial crossroads in the known world. On the Sand Road travel spices, ivory, crystal glass, fortunes worth of precious goods that can only get to their destination with the support of the people living in the Sands and knowing of its secrets.

Third, some tribes remain for religious reasons, their prophecies speaking of a day the wrath of the sun-goddess toward this land will finally cease and the sands will become a fertile plain. And they want to be there when it'll happen."
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:54 am

"I know not why Blessed Amaterasu chose to curse your peoples lands but I pray the find a way to earn her forgiveness." The Crane said solemnly. "Are there a lot of Moto still living beyond the empire?
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:14 pm

"We don't ever. Here the stories fully disagree. Some say the original Ujik committed great sins, that they haven't finished to atone for even nowadays. Other that there is some terrible demon sealed deep under the desert, that digs upward at night and is pushed back by the wrath of Lady Sun at day, with the Ujik being but collateral here. A couple other tales are just weird."

And possibly heretical.

"As for your last question, it's a military secret well above my pay grade. Knowing how many Moto live in the Sands means knowing how many extra troops the Khan can summon in a pinch. More than you think is thus the official diplomatic response."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm

"Of course my apologies, espionage was not my intent. Ours is so often and all or nothing society so the fact that there are my Moto who did not join the group that came to Rokugan surprises me. When the Ki-Rin returned, when Lady Doji's fan was returned...I don't think the words exist to convey just how much that meant to my clan, still means to my clan. That is why I wish to learn more about your clan, some like the Lion may see you as savages but you showed true nobility in that, protecting and preserving a sandalwood and silk fan could not have been easy in a place so harsh and unforgiving."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:44 pm

"The desert is pretty good at preserving things actually. It's me who's wondering how you manage to keep anything from rotting in this constant dampness.

Joke aside, the Unicorn that came back from the Sands are the direct descendants of the Ki-Rin who left. Several centuries are a lot of time, and I don't think there's a single Moto nowadays that don't have a drop of Shinjo, Ide or Iuchi blood in them. And to be a samurai is to live with the legacy of all your ancestors."

She pointed at the weapons at her belt:

"This is symbolized in our daisho. The wakizashi for the blood of Shinjo. The scimitar for the blood of Erlik."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:41 am

What are the pros and cons of a scimitar? I imagine it is better from horseback but tell me about it if you will, I have never tried to craft one but have always wanted to."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:38 pm

"Honestly? It's just a katana rebalanced to be used gracefully with only one hand. They might have differed more in times long gone, but the ancient Moto smiths were so impressed by the techniques of the Shinjo smiths they mostly abandon their old ways in favor of the Rokugan art of steel-folding.

I think they might have integrated later on some tricks they've learned from the Qamarist though. But I'm not knowledgeable enough in smithing to tell you more about this.

So, a one-hand, one-edge blade, for smooth usage either on horseback and on foot, with a shield in your other hand in the later case.

Of course, this has the side effect the scimitar isn't made for a two-handed grip, and therefore you can not strike nearly as strongly with it as with a katana. Not a big deal when it's already moving at the speed of your horse though."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:00 pm

"Interesting. You talk about scimitars being part of your daisho but you speak of the blade with such pragmatism, none of the reverence I get from Kakita or Lions, it's actually quite refreshing. I can understand a warrior growing connected to a weapon, it is often the only thing between you and death. May warriors say they don't fear death but it's all bluster and talk, with you I get a sense that it is very true. But death is an eventuality not a goal, what do you see as a warriors duty in peace times? Do you grow bored of peace and seek the thrill of battle?"
Description