[D7LE] The beginning of the end (Open)

The woods surrounding Kyuden Shika
Moto Mitsuki

[D7LE] The beginning of the end (Open)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:54 pm

Mitsuki had returned to the clearing she was now accustomed to. The makeshift shrine of a few rocks piled up was still there, as well as the blue silk scarf wrapped around them. It was of course now quite soaked and mud-stained, no miracle to see there, but except for this natural consequence of the rain, it had remained undisturbed.

This time, instead of setting up in the clearing itself, she remained on her horse, and started going around it clockwise, attentive to anything and everything. She did three turns that way, then pondered to what she had seen.

---

D7LE | Fluff | Survival [Void] (sensing natural disasters before they occur/look for small omens in your earthly environs) | Passion | TN: ? | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image Image

-> -3 strife, 1/8
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Suzume Senseki

Re: [D7LE] The beginning of the end (Open)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:46 pm

A by now familiar company in the woods approaches with usual slow, certain steps that are probably also already familiar. Seeing the Moto woman circling the 'natural shrine' she had mentioned atop her horse, the new arrival keeps silent, a smile on his face dimly lit by the source of light carried on his hands.

He would not interrupt this - it seemed to be an important moment. So, for now, he just watched with interest and attention.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Mitsuki pondered on what she had seen and not seen: Puddles, flowers, fruits, Sparrow samurai, squirrels, birds, maybe a glimpse of a bigger animal in the distance, like a deer or a wolf.

There was something to be deduced of that, but it didn't connected in her brain. Yet.

She finally broke out of that reflection that was going nowhere to welcome her fellow.

"Good evening Suzume-san. Did you find something interesting while visiting the woods today? You'll soon know them better than most Deers."
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:49 am

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:30 pm
Mitsuki pondered on what she had seen and not seen: Puddles, flowers, fruits, Sparrow samurai, squirrels, birds, maybe a glimpse of a bigger animal in the distance, like a deer or a wolf.

There was something to be deduced of that, but it didn't connected in her brain. Yet.

She finally broke out of that reflection that was going nowhere to welcome her fellow.

"Good evening Suzume-san. Did you find something interesting while visiting the woods today? You'll soon know them better than most Deers."
As the Moto seemed to be done with her ritual, the Sparrow finally bows respectfully.

"Good evening, Moto-sama! Nothing out of the usual today, it seems", he answers with a slow, serene nod as a grin forms on his face. "I... suppose I have been here quite often, though, you're right about that. Old habits die hard, I suppose! And... it's a pleasant place, in a way", he says, nodding again.

He added a short - this time really short - story about how it's often hard to change one's habits... although it's often important to learn to adapt, then adds. "That said... I guess there's a line between adapting and losing one's self, eh? Anyway... perhaps I could ask if I can borrow Puddlehoof for another ride, even. I quite liked the experience!".

After a while, he looks at the natural temple and adds with a friendly, slightly curious smile. "Seems like you've succeeded in finding a proper place and establishing a shrine of sorts, ne? Is it... appropriate enough for what you hoped?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:22 pm

"It resisted the rain and the wild animals, so I would say the spirits of the forest have welcomed it. I'll probably use it again if I need to conduct some proper ceremony before the end of miai. There will be at least one at the very end, to ask Jamsaran to watch over us on the way back."

She smiled:

"Horses are dangerously addictive. Once you've got used to riding one, even the fastest walk seems to go at a snail's pace. Not sure the Deer will let you depart with Puddlehoof, but maybe you can negotiate acquiring one as part of your upcoming marriage contract?

... Honestly, that kind of negotiation, for down-to-earth it may be, would make more sense than most of the trials the Deer have thrown at us so far."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:22 pm
"It resisted the rain and the wild animals, so I would say the spirits of the forest have welcomed it. I'll probably use it again if I need to conduct some proper ceremony before the end of miai. There will be at least one at the very end, to ask Jamsaran to watch over us on the way back."

She smiled:

"Horses are dangerously addictive. Once you've got used to riding one, even the fastest walk seems to go at a snail's pace. Not sure the Deer will let you depart with Puddlehoof, but maybe you can negotiate acquiring one as part of your upcoming marriage contract?

... Honestly, that kind of negotiation, for down-to-earth it may be, would make more sense than most of the trials the Deer have thrown at us so far."
"That's good to know", he said in answer to the comment about the shrine with a happy nod. "So... this one is a shrine specifically to 'Jamusaran', then? Are there... differences?", he says, curious - and maybe slightly confused.

"But you're right, riding Puddlehoof was a surprisingly pleasant experience! I'm... not sure I would expect to leave with a horse of my own. You know... not used to such pleasantries at all, as you probably expect", he says - although he does so with a gentle smile. "But I certainly look forward to riding again if my path allows me", he says with a nod.

"But then... are you displeased with the trials so far, Moto-sama?"

OOC:
As I said, RL pretty much took me away from the game the past few days. Trying to get back now and give some conclusion to the past threads. Sorry about that! And hoping to meet Mitsuki again later! Maybe for training again? :D

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 pm

"It's not consecrated to one Sovereign in particular. Don't think the other, numerous Sovereigns would appreciate me playing favorite by consecrating what's likely their only shrine in Deer lands to only one of them. Same logic as to why most temples dedicated to a particular Fortune usually give at least an alcove to the other six. While getting blessed by one deity is good, not getting cursed by several is best."

Her lips twitched:

"I'm unable to see where that path of seemingly random trials lead, and that irks me.

I was expecting a straightforward affair. Talk with the matchmakers, get a list of potential matches, have interviews with them, reject most, begin tripartite negotiations around a shortlist.

But here, the matchmakers aren't interacting with us in any way except for asking for a skill demonstration on our side. It's completely one-sided, with not a single hint of whom they intend to pair us with, nor under which conditions.

And while I like to explore the unknown, I don't like to ride in complete darkness with no idea of what my horse is about to walk on."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:07 am

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 pm
"It's not consecrated to one Sovereign in particular. Don't think the other, numerous Sovereigns would appreciate me playing favorite by consecrating what's likely their only shrine in Deer lands to only one of them. Same logic as to why most temples dedicated to a particular Fortune usually give at least an alcove to the other six. While getting blessed by one deity is good, not getting cursed by several is best."

Her lips twitched:

"I'm unable to see where that path of seemingly random trials lead, and that irks me.

I was expecting a straightforward affair. Talk with the matchmakers, get a list of potential matches, have interviews with them, reject most, begin tripartite negotiations around a shortlist.

But here, the matchmakers aren't interacting with us in any way except for asking for a skill demonstration on our side. It's completely one-sided, with not a single hint of whom they intend to pair us with, nor under which conditions.

And while I like to explore the unknown, I don't like to ride in complete darkness with no idea of what my horse is about to walk on."
The Suzume bows, maybe still somewhat uncertain but seemingly content with the explanation. He then pays attention to her words quietly and thoughtfully.

"Un.. I think I understand your concerns, Moto-sama. But then... I guess that's how Miai often work? Or, well, at least many of them... "

He falls quiet for some more time. "I... think the spirit of the occurrence is to get to meet and mingle with others, but mostly... to provide the Nakodo hints of who each of us are, and... which pairs would find an easier way through their path in this life. I mean... I think by being at the Miai we are somehow trusting that the Shika Nakodo will find these pairings? Feel them, maybe? Or... sense them? Or maybe they use mathematical or astrological methods... or all of those."

He chuckles and adds with a grin. "Or, well, as I mentioned to Kuni Yasu-san just the other day - maybe they keep tabs and ask family or even personal Fortunes tied to each of us what our preferences would be, and the Fortunes of those judged best by the Nakodo get first pick"

A shrug, indicating the last part is clearly a joke. "But... I feel by being here, we're... trusting their traditions? Not knowing where we're headed sure is disturbing... but then... I guess that's often true in life, ne?", he adds with a gentle smile. "That seems to be the lesson in many stories, at least."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Mitsuki pondered the Sparrow's answer:

"Maybe you're right and this apparent lack of purpose is actually a setup to see how we act au naturel, when we're not explicitly watched over by nakodo. It's definitely a possibility than a lot of innocuous-looking people around us – guards, merchants, servants – report directly to them about of every movement and word.

Well, I guess they've checked the 'Impatient' box on their file about me by now.

I do still wonder how much longer the observation period will continue though."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:33 pm
Mitsuki pondered the Sparrow's answer:

"Maybe you're right and this apparent lack of purpose is actually a setup to see how we act au naturel, when we're not explicitly watched over by nakodo. It's definitely a possibility than a lot of innocuous-looking people around us – guards, merchants, servants – report directly to them about of every movement and word.

Well, I guess they've checked the 'Impatient' box on their file about me by now.

I do still wonder how much longer the observation period will continue though."
The Sparrow nodded. "That's the possibility I've been considering." Then, with a grin. "And well, we all have traits we like and dislike about ourselves, I suppose. But... maybe they've noted qualities even we don't know about ourselves, ne? If the Deer matchmakers' fame is to be believed, at least."

A look to the ground and another slow nod. "It has been a long process, though, that much is true. I suppose... well, maybe another week? I don't think we'll be here for the whole of a month..."

For a moment, there, he seems to worry a bit. Maybe about his duties back home... and then something seems to dawn on him, the worry increases even more, but is soon replaced by a smile. Perhaps a nervous one, but a smile nonetheless.