[D5MA, expecting] A couple of tales to tell

The woods surrounding Kyuden Shika
Kitsu Moshumaru

Re: [D5MA, expecting] A couple of tales to tell

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:15 am

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 am
She pinks a little, aware that she is being both more serious and more mystical than she normally allows herself to be.
For his part, the Kitsu listened with rapt attention, even if he struggled to grasp it all.

"If I understand correctly..."

He slowly tried to piece it together in his head.

"You used a story to avoid a destiny you believed was yours, and so learn as many stories as you can to control your own destiny, such that you may seek enlightenment?"

But what was enlightenment, anyway?
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:13 am

She waggles her hand between parallel and perpendicular, coloring more.

"Kind of. I'm not...necessarily seeking Enlightenment. If I find it, I will be happy and of course my eternal will find peace and contentment and I will reincarnate no more. But that happens when it will happen. That is more...the goal of the clan. That we will all some day attain enlightenment. And we help by sweeping the roads of the past for ways to improve the choices of the future. It is a little bit like fortune telling, but more reliable.

I believe that my Beloved and I have been going round this circle many times before, in many different roles. Each time we encounter some new bump or obstacle and each time we fail in some new and spectacular way. I believe I was reincarnated where I was so that I could learn this Truth and, perhaps, kami willing, break the cycle of suffering that binds us to this wheel. Then we may ascend to our place in peace, sitting as a lesson of self-control and patience for those that hear our story."

Her ideas here are more than a bit...odd. While many believe in reincarnation and many hope for destinies of weight and merit, this is something altogether different.

"Why do you tell the stories of your ancestors?"
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:11 am

The Kitsu nodded, thinking he understood before answering her question.

"Well, the answer comes in two parts. Forgive me if I misunderstand and am too specific."

"Firstly, usually I don't tell the stories of our ancestors. I tell the stories of our friends and peers - those who have become lost to us recently. The story of Suzume Shiro I told you was written within a month of his death. I write these stories so that the family can find peace in the knowledge that they have not failed their ancestors - that they have a tale that will be passed on to their descendants. That, even if their reincarnation ends up somewhere entirely different, they can still be with the people they love in this life."

"As a clan and more generally, we tell the stories of our ancestors for two reasons - the first, because it inspires us. Knowing that the ground we walk on was built by such great people motivates us to work harder, because we can look at the grand castles and keeps and tell ourselves 'people like me built that', you know? The other reason is to perfect the idea of bushido. Within each Lion's life is a struggle with the tenets of Bushido in an environment most dedicated to it - each day is spent answering a thousand questions through action alone. Our ancestors show us the result of certain paths - with their examples, we can pave Bushido from a many-headed ideal to a single, golden, glorious path to a better life."

"Does that answer your question?"
PM if thread desired

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Inoshishi nods as the Kitsu talks about the first part. This is the same sort of mysticism that she embraced as a Togashi Chronicler. This idea that the cycle matters as do those left behind. She squeezes Moshumura’s hand gently in agreement as he continues.

She tilts her head again as he talks, clearly having never considered the impacts stories could have on perfecting bushido. As he finished, she shifts, her knees beginning to be uncomfortable on the sticks beneath her. She recovers to a sitting position, her hip touching the Kitsu’s in a posture both intimate and chaste.

“I suppose it makes sense. When you say you are transforming bushido from many heads to one, is this bushido as the lion see it? We seek Enlightenment for all that have the courage to climb the mountain, but we don’t think we have the only way to Enlightenment…assuming we ever discover a path to Enlightenment.

I don’t mean any rudeness by the question. I know the Dragon, for instance, value different parts of Bushido than the Lion, and I find the difference beautiful.”

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:20 pm
Inoshishi nods as the Kitsu talks about the first part. This is the same sort of mysticism that she embraced as a Togashi Chronicler. This idea that the cycle matters as do those left behind. She squeezes Moshumura’s hand gently in agreement as he continues.

She tilts her head again as he talks, clearly having never considered the impacts stories could have on perfecting bushido. As he finished, she shifts, her knees beginning to be uncomfortable on the sticks beneath her. She recovers to a sitting position, her hip touching the Kitsu’s in a posture both intimate and chaste.
"This is... nice. Right, your question."
Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:20 pm
“I suppose it makes sense. When you say you are transforming bushido from many heads to one, is this bushido as the lion see it? We seek Enlightenment for all that have the courage to climb the mountain, but we don’t think we have the only way to Enlightenment…assuming we ever discover a path to Enlightenment.

I don’t mean any rudeness by the question. I know the Dragon, for instance, value different parts of Bushido than the Lion, and I find the difference beautiful.”
"Perhaps many heads was the wrong expression - there are many paths within the vicinity of Bushido, depending on which tenets you give the most value to and which you don't give as much. Do you show compassion by letting the poor off their taxes in a bad season, or devotion to duty by providing the resources to ensure they can otherwise meet their requirements? Each decision is a hundred different tasks of organizing 3-7 of these tenets, plus contextual factors, into every decision we make, which is watched by our ancestors."

He clasped his other hand around the Agasha's.

"If we could, through experience, organise it and objectively sort those tenets in different situations - make it a rote memorization to living the best life possible - how much easier would life be? If you knew for definite what the right answer to any question of honour, you would have so much time to improve elsewhere. We could elevate the Empire to heights peviously unseen, unheard of."

He nodded, satisfied with the answer.

"May I ask you a more... personal question, Inoshishi-san?"
PM if thread desired

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Inoshishi nods along with the Kitsu’s answer, having felt and seen that tension play out in all sorts of ways across the Empire. She couldn’t help but be proud of the compassion shown by the Dragon, but her brain insists that we’re the Dragon to do as they do yet have the lands and peoples of the Lion, many would starve. And in the end, is it more compassionate to let the starving village wither or to weaken a whole population to the scourge of disease? She was thankful those were it decisions she had to make.

She follows along with his glorious purpose, then her brow furrows slightly. “Is that not the challenge of honor? To weave so complexly the 7 tenets that they exist, each with their own tension, to balance yourself like the Empire is balanced? Perhaps we are to remain imbalanced, each our own tenant, so the Empire remains in a state of harmony, however inharmonious it may seem on the ground?”

She smirks at the potential subject change. “Moshumaru-san, we sit, having experienced emotion together, having kissed and discussed philosophy within minutes, now with our hands clasped together. Aside from the shape of my body, I cannot think of anything more personal than that.” There’s kindness in her eyes, making clear her answer despite her playful answer.
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:53 pm
She follows along with his glorious purpose, then her brow furrows slightly. “Is that not the challenge of honor? To weave so complexly the 7 tenets that they exist, each with their own tension, to balance yourself like the Empire is balanced? Perhaps we are to remain imbalanced, each our own tenant, so the Empire remains in a state of harmony, however inharmonious it may seem on the ground?”
"Perhaps it is an impossible ideal."

The Kitsu admitted.

"Perhaps not even a correct one, under the right scrutiny. But the challenge of honour is one every samurai walks throughout their life - and one every samurai after them must as well. For most, we cannot follow our children after death - we submit ourselves to the wheel or whatever our deeds dictate for us. But it is not the destination which is important, Inoshishi-san. It is the ideal, and the act of supporting those after us."

He closed his eyes as he recited.

"There is no greater gift I can give my son but the tools to forge his own future - It is a famous quote by the fourth Akodo in the play No Man's Bride. When Matsu asks why her husband is willing to let her become a thunder, that is what he says. In later adaptations of the play, there is a line which is makes every Lion father I've seen cry when he hears it -With pride, my ancestors, I write to you with my father's brush."

He opened his eyes, showing a renewed sense of purpose.
Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:53 pm
She smirks at the potential subject change. “Moshumaru-san, we sit, having experienced emotion together, having kissed and discussed philosophy within minutes, now with our hands clasped together. Aside from the shape of my body, I cannot think of anything more personal than that.” There’s kindness in her eyes, making clear her answer despite her playful answer.
The Kitsu nodded, but there is no playfulness in his eyes. There is a serious element of compassion instead.

"I was going to ask if there was someone in the Miai you liked, or sought - if I knew something that would help, I would have told you. I will admit, after what we have shared I cannot help but liken you to a sister in spite of my initial desires - I like that feeling, that having a sibling brings. If you ever need a shelter, know my doors will always be open."
PM if thread desired

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:41 pm

The second half of the conversation wipes away whatever she’d been considering saying in response to the first half. The here and now happens once. Philosophy happens always.

She extracts one hand from Moshumaru’s hands, place it on his cheek instead.

“That is a difficult thing to say, for most men and many women. Changing emotions is fraught with aim, both accidental and intentional, often enough. Either this is Lion bravery or a foolhardy, damn the consequences attitude worthy of the Agasha. In either case, I must honor you regardless of my feelings on the matter. Many, after sharing a kiss, would throw a tantrum any Crane would envy.

But, luckily for you, onii-san, I can think of few traits I value more than honesty and bravery. I would happily be your little sister, so long as you do not assault yourself for some perception of violating my honor. Because either I was the aggressor, and you wouldn’t assault your little sister, would you, or you’re my big brother so there was no honor left to violate, only a brother and sister sharing a particularly tender moment.”

Surely that made sense in her head. Whether such casual twisting of cause and effect makes sense to anyone else is up in the air.

“I do have someone I believe I have fallen for, onii-san, but you must promise you won’t go all ‘big brother’ on him.”

She looks up at him, clearly channeling her desire for siblings into this moment, perhaps acting out daydreams she had as a child.

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:41 pm
“I do have someone I believe I have fallen for, onii-san, but you must promise you won’t go all ‘big brother’ on him.”
"Heh."

The Lion smiles, opening his arms.

"Matsu-san is a fine man, from my recollection. But know that there is a deep wound in his past which both of you must overcome to move forward. That said..."

"Welcome back to the family... sis. I believe I owe you a few more stories?"

(potentially /scene?)
PM if thread desired

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:10 pm

Inoshishi clears her throat slightly. “Um, yes, that was…that was definitely the case.”

She hugs herself, either out of mild embarrassment or to remind herself of arms around her.

“Yes, I think you can safely welcome me to the family, brother. You will write to me!” It’s not quite a demand, not quite a threat, just a good demanding little sister attitude.

“Thank you, for all that we shared, all that we will share, and for being the first to welcome me.” She smiles softly.