[Day 1, Mid-Afternoon] The Fine Art of Navel-Gazing (Open)

The walls and towers surrounding Kyuden Shika
Shiba Raizo

Re: [Day 1, Mid-Afternoon] The Fine Art of Navel-Gazing (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:14 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:41 am
The song finished, he looks at the other man with another slight smile.

"Do you like songs, Shiba-san? Or stories?"
"Depends. Don't really have a particularly strong opinion in general. Most soldier stories are horseshit, and most of our songs are either really repetitive- or cannot be repeated in polite company, so I can't say I have much experience either way."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:14 am
"Depends. Don't really have a particularly strong opinion in general. Most soldier stories are horseshit, and most of our songs are either really repetitive- or cannot be repeated in polite company, so I can't say I have much experience either way."
The Sparrow looks at the Shiba again calmly, his eyes meeting the man's for a moment, then straying to the surroundings, his clothes, the way his body is positioned... then away to the forest again.

"Un. I guess it depends on our environment, hai!", he says simply, looking at the rustling leaves again. "So... you mentioned movement, ne? What sort of movement is it you enjoy, Shiba-san?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:02 pm
The Sparrow looks at the Shiba again calmly, his eyes meeting the man's for a moment, then straying to the surroundings, his clothes, the way his body is positioned... then away to the forest again.

"Un. I guess it depends on our environment, hai!", he says simply, looking at the rustling leaves again. "So... you mentioned movement, ne? What sort of movement is it you enjoy, Shiba-san?"
"Enjoy's got nothing to do with it. I'm good at long haul marches. I'm passable in a fight."

A pause.

"Frankly, Suzume-san, I am sad to say you're discovering why I'm finding this entire miai a vexed prospect, because I am very, very bad at this sort of conversation."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm
"Enjoy's got nothing to do with it. I'm good at long haul marches. I'm passable in a fight."

A pause.

"Frankly, Suzume-san, I am sad to say you're discovering why I'm finding this entire miai a vexed prospect, because I am very, very bad at this sort of conversation."
The Sparrow waves his hand in an apology, a gentle look on his face. "Oh. I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, Shiba-san."

A long silence, then he looks at the Phoenix again. "We could shift to something you enjoy, then, maybe? Whether talking about... or just doing."
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm
The Sparrow waves his hand in an apology, a gentle look on his face. "Oh. I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, Shiba-san."

A long silence, then he looks at the Phoenix again. "We could shift to something you enjoy, then, maybe? Whether talking about... or just doing."
"Well, that limits the topics quite a bit. You sure?"
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:17 pm

"Well, that limits the topics quite a bit. You sure?"
Another slow, gentle, simple smile and a nod. "I've interrupted you and gone through topics you don't care for... It's only fair, ne?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 pm
Another slow, gentle, simple smile and a nod. "I've interrupted you and gone through topics you don't care for... It's only fair, ne?"
"Huh. Well."

Raizo took another breath. Let it out.

"About the only thing about my duty I enjoy? The new places I get to see. Now, I've mostly only been in the Phoenix provinces, with a couple of trips into Dragon and Lion territory before now, and I'm pretty sure we actually left the Empire to the north one time, but... even just in that scope, you can see a hell of a lot."
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm
"Huh. Well."

Raizo took another breath. Let it out.

"About the only thing about my duty I enjoy? The new places I get to see. Now, I've mostly only been in the Phoenix provinces, with a couple of trips into Dragon and Lion territory before now, and I'm pretty sure we actually left the Empire to the north one time, but... even just in that scope, you can see a hell of a lot."
"Un!", he adds with an honest smile. "I suppose you do get to see quite a bit! I... well, I haven't been to any of these lands, really. This is my first time north of the Spine of the World, in fact!" Another look at the distance. "So if you had to say... which of the lands you visited did you like the most? And what did you like about them?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:50 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:37 pm
"Un!", he adds with an honest smile. "I suppose you do get to see quite a bit! I... well, I haven't been to any of these lands, really. This is my first time north of the Spine of the World, in fact!" Another look at the distance. "So if you had to say... which of the lands you visited did you like the most? And what did you like about them?"
"Oh, I don't play favorites. I love them all."

He chuckled.

"The Dragon lands... we have mountains of our own, but there's something about theirs. The Lion lands are a bit... orderly, but there's something to be said for well-run farms. And the far north... very exotic. The Yobanjin are tough fighters, but they also have some customs it can be... interesting to observe from a distance."

He paused.

"You ever someone singing in a language you don't understand?"
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:50 pm
"Oh, I don't play favorites. I love them all."

He chuckled.

"The Dragon lands... we have mountains of our own, but there's something about theirs. The Lion lands are a bit... orderly, but there's something to be said for well-run farms. And the far north... very exotic. The Yobanjin are tough fighters, but they also have some customs it can be... interesting to observe from a distance."

He paused.

"You ever someone singing in a language you don't understand?"
The Suzume hears him speak about each of the lands with a wide smile and clear curiosity on his face. At his question, he furrows his brow and takes a hand to his chin, then keeps silent for some seconds before answering.

"Hm... I don't think I have. I mean... I've heard shugenja chanting to the kami now and then. But... I don't think it's really similar to what you're saying?"