(D0, EM) Trouble at the Gates

The walls and towers surrounding Kyuden Shika
Hiroto

(D0, EM) Trouble at the Gates

Post by Hiroto » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:04 am

As the day dawned, there was a decent stream of foot traffic heading into Kyuden Shika. While a somewhat remote Kyuden, the miai being conducted drew an influx of samurai here to find out who they would be matched with. And despite the tales of the forest and it's paths keeping the Deer safe from intruders, there were still mundane gate guards doing the routine work of checking travel papers.

Well, mostly routine. One of the lines into the castle was halted, as a tall and lithe samurai in the colors of the Mantis argued with a gate guard.

"I'm sorry, Mantis-san, but these papers are simply not in order." the guard said, trying to keep the ruckus down to a minimum.

"What do you mean by that?" said the Mantis, clearly angry.

"It's just that, you see, the destination is illegible. I can't verify that Kyuden Shika is your destination." the guard replied.

"And just where else am I supposed to be going? There's not a lot out here you know." the Mantis retorted.

"That's not for me to say, Mantis-san, but you'll have to return and have your papers reissued." the guard said.

"Return and have the papers reissued? I'd be days late for the miai if I did that!" the Mantis said, anger rising.
Mantis Clan * Golden Mirror * Miai Candidate

"I will not be slighted, set aside, and mocked!"

Shosuro Hikimasu

Re: (D0, EM) Trouble at the Gates

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:08 am

Early morning. Early anything, honestly. Anything bothersome as well, if truth be told.

And here was all of that, in one package of Mantis barking.

Hikimasu was holding Yudaina's reins as he yawned. He'd meant to get to Kyuden Shika last night, or rest at the farming village at the edge of the forest and got there sometime in the afternoon, be rested and well-to-do today. Of course, yesterday's Hikimasu didn't think of much of today's Hikimasu, and decided to ride through the night and perhaps sleep off the unfortunate that day.

Nothing serious would be happening today anyway.

He yawned, Yudaina yawned. The Mantis and the gate guard went on. Even sleepy he could tell what the problem was. The Mantis was just getting angry instead of offering the guard a solution to the problem.

So he approached. "Good morning", the Scorpion yawned slightly, again, dead eyes a bit more fishy than usual. "What seems to be the trouble, Mantis?" he asked, and extended his papers to the guard.
Shosuro Hikimasu
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Soldier • Dead Fish Eyes • Friend of Yūdaina

Honor: 41 Status: 35 Glory: 44
Carries: clothing, daisho, fan, mempo. Has ashigaru armor, daikyu and magnificent steed for battle.
Description
"Fulfillment is just another form of arrogance."

Hiroto

Post by Hiroto » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:24 am

Shosuro Hikimasu wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:08 am
Early morning. Early anything, honestly. Anything bothersome as well, if truth be told.

Hikimasu was holding Yudaina's reins as he yawned. He'd meant to get to Kyuden Shika last night, or rest at the farming village at the edge of the forest and got there sometime in the afternoon, be rested and well-to-do today. Of course, yesterday's Hikimasu didn't think of much of today's Hikimasu, and decided to ride through the night and perhaps sleep off the unfortunate that day.

He yawned, Yudaina yawned. The Mantis and the gate guard went on. Even sleepy he could tell what the problem was. The Mantis was just getting angry instead of offering the guard a solution to the problem.

So he approached. "Good morning", the Scorpion yawned slightly, again, dead eyes a bit more fishy than usual. "What seems to be the trouble, Mantis?" he asked, and extended his papers to the guard.
The guard was all to happy too see Hikimaru..or at least the opportunity to deal with someone other than the Mantis and accepted the papers. While it was clear that they were in perfect order, the guard spent some extra time examining them. After all, once he handed them back, he'd have to deal with the Mantis again.

The Mantis....was not particularly happy with the Scorpion's presence. He was the sort who had many, many shades of anger, and while Scorpion was a new shade, the rawness of the act that led to it's development kept it hot indeed.

"This...guard" he said packing the venom one would normally allow unwind into a longer description such as 'blasted idiot whoreson' into the singular word. "Is claiming that my travelling paper's destination is not in order and is denying me entrance to the Kyuden. It's ridiculous! I've been travelling by foot for days to get here, and now he suggests I go all the way back to get new ones and then come back here!"
Mantis Clan * Golden Mirror * Miai Candidate

"I will not be slighted, set aside, and mocked!"

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:30 am

"That's unfortunate", Hikimasu said unhelpfully. Then he looked at the guard. "There isn't anything wrong my papers, is there? The hatamoto who saw to them tends to drink late and I can't say I took a good look."
Shosuro Hikimasu

Carries: clothing, daisho, fan, mempo. Has ashigaru armor, daikyu and magnificent steed for battle.
Description

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:26 am

Hiroto wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:24 am
Shosuro Hikimasu wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:08 am

The guard was all to happy too see Hikimaru..or at least the opportunity to deal with someone other than the Mantis and accepted the papers. While it was clear that they were in perfect order, the guard spent some extra time examining them. After all, once he handed them back, he'd have to deal with the Mantis again.

The Mantis....was not particularly happy with the Scorpion's presence. He was the sort who had many, many shades of anger, and while Scorpion was a new shade, the rawness of the act that led to it's development kept it hot indeed.

"This...guard" he said packing the venom one would normally allow unwind into a longer description such as 'blasted idiot whoreson' into the singular word. "Is claiming that my travelling paper's destination is not in order and is denying me entrance to the Kyuden. It's ridiculous! I've been travelling by foot for days to get here, and now he suggests I go all the way back to get new ones and then come back here!"
Behind the two other Samurai, a young Crane also stands, a blindfold tied over her eyes, her smile slightly... no, not strained, it's perfectly serene. The aide next to her has a perfectly neutral expression, for of course a mere aid to a blind samurai should not be showing disapproval of her betters' actions. The Crane speaks up after a moment, her voice soft but pitched to carry over the commotion. "If one could be found to vouch for the Mantis-san, would that be acceptable, Shika-san?"
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Kaikoga Koi

Post by Kaikoga Koi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 am

Behind the Moshi, behind the Scorpion and behind the Crane (who looked good from behind) a single beautiful Moth awaited with the patience of the earth kami. Her feet hurt from walking, her back hurt from the walking, she was hot from the walking and just generally fed up of being not comfortable for at least one day and yet at the earliest hours of the morning (probably still night) with lanterns lit she had set about getting prepared. She was to look as perfect as she could from the moment she arrived at the Miai to the moment she has a chance to collapse on the floor and soak her feet in water. She stood beautifully, expectantly and bored.

A Moth must always make good first impressions, do not waste the chance you get to elevate yourself. She imagined her Mother squawking on at her in her mind's eye before being watching the guard inspecting the Scorpion's documents, and frowns which never bods well.

She stood patiently, waiting in the unfortunately thicker kimono she chose (it was her favourite) and prayed to the Kami above that it was not going to take much longer.
Moth Clan ★ Glory 44 ★ Honour 49 ★ Status 28 ★ Courtship Points 23 ★ Scent of Lilacs, Citrus oils and Almond ★

Update: Day 13. Koi is wearing a kimono in much higher quality, lilac in hues with green lunar moths and silver lanterns. She is wearing a jade green choker. She is wearing a katana that largely is peace tied, and at night has a very fine lantern. She is being followed at all times by a Shika Guard at a distances. She wears a fine wooden carved bracelet with the Moth Clan symbol on it.

Dangerous Allure ★ Wood working tools ★ Unsavoury Past ★ Shaking Hands ★ Anxiety Attacks ★ A Purple Choker with a wooden sphere of a Moth ★

Female ★ Actress ★ Vitiligo on the left eye ★ I'd never really found a place in the outside world, but had stayed away too long to fit in at home. ★ Wait so LongProfile

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:10 am

Kakita Sakura wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:26 am

Behind the two other Samurai, a young Crane also stands, a blindfold tied over her eyes, her smile slightly... no, not strained, it's perfectly serene. The aide next to her has a perfectly neutral expression, for of course a mere aid to a blind samurai should not be showing disapproval of her betters' actions. The Crane speaks up after a moment, her voice soft but pitched to carry over the commotion. "If one could be found to vouch for the Mantis-san, would that be acceptable, Shika-san?"
The Mantis instinctively flinched a bit finding himself yet again between a Scorpion and a Crane. He prepared his surliest, angsty glare....only to have it bounce harmlessly off the Crane's blindfold. In the momentary confusion as the Mantis had to recalibrate his grievance engine, the guard acted.

He bowed quickly handing the Scorpion's papers back to him.

"Ah, nope, you're all good to go, Shosuro-san. Have a lovely stay." he said, before turning his attention to the Crane.

"Ah, well, yes, I supposed that would do...Kakita-san. I would suggest arranging a meeting with Emerald Magistrate Doji Oharu at your earliest convivence to get the matter settled for good."

The Mantis looked slightly stricken at having to meet with a Crane Emerald Magistrate, but the guard was relentless pushing things along before the Mantis could object.

"Well enjoy your stay, may the Fortune of Marriage smile upon you all." he said, trying to hustle people through the gate.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 am

Hikimasu took his papers back and led Yūdiana past the guard. If the Crane wanted to vouch for a Mantis, he'd let her.
Shosuro Hikimasu

Description

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:33 am

Sakura tilts her head to the Mantis after her own papers are checked- and that of her maidservant and guide. “Mantis-san. Hiroto-san, unless Nanami's guess is incorrect. This one is Kakita Sakura. Have you had rice today?”

The heimin's expression is carefully neutral- but Sakura adopts a pleasant smile, her blindfold hiding any other expression on her face.
Last edited by Kakita Sakura on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Kaikoga Koi

Post by Kaikoga Koi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 am

Koi saw the Scorpion appear to be leaving and as the Crane that was in front of her decided to join in assisting the Mantis member she had to resist sighing in frustration instead she took in her surroundings fanning her face slightly.

Please Kami, allow me to find a wife of some status that meats I dont need to worry about queues in the future. She loathed the heat of the lowlands during the Summer, and cities for this reason.

Still she waited, beautiful, still and bored.
Moth Clan ★ Glory 44 ★ Honour 49 ★ Status 28 ★ Courtship Points 23 ★ Scent of Lilacs, Citrus oils and Almond ★

Update: Day 13. Koi is wearing a kimono in much higher quality, lilac in hues with green lunar moths and silver lanterns. She is wearing a jade green choker. She is wearing a katana that largely is peace tied, and at night has a very fine lantern. She is being followed at all times by a Shika Guard at a distances. She wears a fine wooden carved bracelet with the Moth Clan symbol on it.

Dangerous Allure ★ Wood working tools ★ Unsavoury Past ★ Shaking Hands ★ Anxiety Attacks ★ A Purple Choker with a wooden sphere of a Moth ★

Female ★ Actress ★ Vitiligo on the left eye ★ I'd never really found a place in the outside world, but had stayed away too long to fit in at home. ★ Wait so LongProfile