(D0, EM) Trouble at the Gates

The walls and towers surrounding Kyuden Shika
Kakita Sakura

Re: (D0, EM) Trouble at the Gates

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 pm

Sakura hums softly, and speaks just as softly as Nanami guides her- and she makes surprisingly good pace, in fact, although it is slower than Hiroto would walk on his own.

After a moment, she decides to speak bluntly for once. This isn’t court, after all. “Because I have heard the story of how we failed you. And I have heard the regrets of she whose hand was on the blade. I cannot speak for my Clan, but consider this an apology from one Crane who can, at least, speak for herself.”

She nods her head to the Mantis slightly. Ignoring Nanami, who seems particularly interested on the road ahead.
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:56 pm

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:45 pm
"Thank you, I will. Have a lovely day and may the Fortunes watch over you" Emiko accepted her papers back with a bow before moving onwards, trying not to pay attention to the stares.
As Emiko was drawn forward in line a large Otter that had been standing with her comes up as well "The privileges of position eh Emiko-sama?" He said with a small grin looking down to the much smaller girl.
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Hiroto

Post by Hiroto » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:46 am

Kakita Sakura wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 pm
Sakura hums softly, and speaks just as softly as Nanami guides her- and she makes surprisingly good pace, in fact, although it is slower than Hiroto would walk on his own.

After a moment, she decides to speak bluntly for once. This isn’t court, after all. “Because I have heard the story of how we failed you. And I have heard the regrets of she whose hand was on the blade. I cannot speak for my Clan, but consider this an apology from one Crane who can, at least, speak for herself.”

She nods her head to the Mantis slightly. Ignoring Nanami, who seems particularly interested on the road ahead.
There is a long silence after the explanation. A sudden bluntness after so much polite sidestepping was a real knockout blow.

"As you say, you cannot apologize on behalf of your clan, and you, personally, have done me no wrong. There ARE a lot of Crane who I do feel owe me an apology, but as far as Kakita Reina-san is concerned....her case is more complicated. She should've spotted the Scorpion's deception, she was willing to pay with her life for her mistake...but she was halted by the Head of the Kakita Academy when the Scorpion's deception was revealed. So I was almost granted the ultimate apology by her, until it was snatched away by another Crane. Not that I want her dead, clearly the ultimate blame lies upon the Scorpion who switched her blade. Then again, I have to wonder....was he perhaps also treated badly by the Crane? Had the judges ruled differently last year, he would have been Topaz champion last year. Clearly his actions were wrong, but were they justified?"

Hiroto shakes his head.

"It is...very tangled. I'm not sur who is ultimately culpable, nor how a sufficient apology could be made. But....I know things aren't right as they stand. They are not just." he concluded, as they arrived at the yashiki occupied by Doji Oharu.
Mantis Clan * Golden Mirror * Miai Candidate

"I will not be slighted, set aside, and mocked!"

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:59 am

“They are not. I will be more circumspect in other company, of course.”

Sakura tilts her head, not speaking more on the matter, at least not for now. “But know that I will do my utmost to treat you with the respect you deserve… and that I will attempt to ensure you are treated with that same respect. Although I will not fight your battles for you, I will be an ally. Which, of course, brings us to this. Before we enter… might I know the actual state of the pass? Simply so I know for certain what I am vouching for.”
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Hiroto

Post by Hiroto » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:20 am

HIroto goes to offer the papers to Sakura, before stopping themselves.

"Ah, perhaps your assistant could describe them better than I?" he suggests offering the papers to Nanami instead.

It would be fairly obvious to Nanami what had happened to the papers. While the papers themselves are well kept, the destination is missing. But she can tell this is no error of omission. There is a solution known in Tsuma made from Tsu fish eggs that can remove ink from parchment. She can just make out the barest outlines of Kyuden Shika faintly visible upon the page that someone has gone to effort to remove.

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:24 am

Nanami frowns, as she studies the papers, her careful mask giving way to a more unguarded almost-scowl. “…Kakita-sama, Mantis-sama, these papers have been tampered with- the destination has been deliberately removed, although I can barely make out that Kyuden Shika was written as the destination. This humble peasant would not dare to speculate more.”

She gives a squeeze to Sakura's arm as she returns to guiding the Crane, though, after returning the papers.

Sakura simply nods. “I trust Nanami as I would my own senses in this.”

Hiroto

Post by Hiroto » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 am

Hiroto scowls, not at the pair but at the nameless villain who had tampered with his papers.

"They were in good order when I received them, but I will admit that while I believed they were in my possession for the whole trip, I didn't y'know, check them daily, and I didn't run into any patrols along the road necessitating me taking them out." he relays.

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 am

“That is reasonable, Hiroto-san. And I can very much vouch for this. Come, and let us speak to the Magistrate, then.”

Sakura's serene smile is gone- and while she is not scowling like the Mantis, there is a distinct frown now.

Doji Oharu

Post by Doji Oharu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 am

The servants admit the trio into the opulently furnished yashiki. They ar shown to an elegant hall meant for hosting small meal parties. At the table is seated Doji Oharu with an elegant meal of rice and tea. His orantely carved walking cane rests at his side.

He offers a seated bow to those, choosing not to suffering the pain of standing up for the guests.

"Ah, Kakita-san....Hiroto-san." he says. "I'm afraid you've caught me in the middle of my breakfast. Would you care for refreshments? There's some lovely black tea from the Osiri plains. Or perhaps some rice if you've not been fortunate enough to be blessed by Inari today?"
Crane Clan * Emerald Magistrate * Lame

"While the yoirki chase him down, why don't we talk a little bit about what happened and what will happen?"

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:19 am

Doji Oharu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 am
The servants admit the trio into the opulently furnished yashiki. They ar shown to an elegant hall meant for hosting small meal parties. At the table is seated Doji Oharu with an elegant meal of rice and tea. His orantely carved walking cane rests at his side.

He offers a seated bow to those, choosing not to suffering the pain of standing up for the guests.

"Ah, Kakita-san....Hiroto-san." he says. "I'm afraid you've caught me in the middle of my breakfast. Would you care for refreshments? There's some lovely black tea from the Osiri plains. Or perhaps some rice if you've not been fortunate enough to be blessed by Inari today?"
Sakura bows in reply to Doji Oharu, smiling serenely. “We would be honoured to accept tea, Doji-sama.”

She engages in the pleasantries, as Nanami withdraws, becoming simply an unobtrusive presence- it is not for her to speak to samurai unless spoken to, after all.