[D10, EM] The End Is The Beginning Is The End (Closed)

Guest mansion housing an emerald magistrate
Asahina Soyokaze

[D10, EM] The End Is The Beginning Is The End (Closed)

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Having sent a letter the night before requesting an audience Asahina Soyokaze approached the gate leading to Doji Oharu’s estate. He was alone, his attendant back at the forge working without sleep just like him. Under his right are was a box of dark maple and he wore his finest kimono, understanding that today was the most important of his life...until tomorrow.

Believe in yourself. Try. Do Good.

After a few steadying breaths he formally approached the gate to announce himself.
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Doji Oharu

Re: [D10, EM] The End Is The Beginning Is The End (Closed)

Post by Doji Oharu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:54 pm

The servants showed him to a receiving room, where the expected lord sat behind a desk, with his rosewood cane at his side.

He offered a seated bow to the arrival of his guest.

"Ah, it's the talented Asahina Soyokaze. Forgive me for not rising, this weather has made such endeavors even more painful than usual." he offfered. "Please, come and sit down."
Crane Clan * Emerald Magistrate * Lame

"While the yoirki chase him down, why don't we talk a little bit about what happened and what will happen?"

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:09 pm

Soyokaze went down on his knees and offered a prostrated bow. He did not rise again until after he had finished his introduction.

“Emerald Magistrate Doji Oharu-sama, I am honored that you know this one, Thank you for seeing me so early this morning I hope I have not interrupted you. I come to you today seeking illumination on a number of topics and with some ill tidings but first I wish to apologize for my poor showing here. I have done little to help myself or the Crane both in the Shika’s events or my personal time. Furthermore while I have no doubt you have those on hand of greater skill than this one I failed to present myself to you before now and offer myself to your service. I seek your forgiveness”
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Doji Oharu

Post by Doji Oharu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Asahina Soyokaze wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:09 pm
Soyokaze went down on his knees and offered a prostrated bow. He did not rise again until after he had finished his introduction.

“Emerald Magistrate Doji Oharu-sama, I am honored that you know this one, Thank you for seeing me so early this morning I hope I have not interrupted you. I come to you today seeking illumination on a number of topics and with some ill tidings but first I wish to apologize for my poor showing here. I have done little to help myself or the Crane both in the Shika’s events or my personal time. Furthermore while I have no doubt you have those on hand of greater skill than this one I failed to present myself to you before now and offer myself to your service. I seek your forgiveness”
Oharu looks over the prostrated Crane.

"Ah, I see, i see" he said amicably. "You know, Doji-san, given what I know of your father, your choice of gift for Shika Renji, followed by you not presenting yourself to me for a week and a half...I had rather thought you were turning your back on the Crane. That you hoped that the Deer clan would let you take all the talents and skills that your sensei have taken the time to hone within you, and leave us with nothing but an empty nest to show for our troubles."

He rubbed the top of his cane absentmindedly, and did not give Soyokaze permission to rise.

"Perhaps I have misinterpreted events? A less charitable man would assume that you've exhausted your own avenues, and now seek yet one more favor from the Crane before fleeing us forever, like a small child asking their parents to pack them a lunch on the day they intend to run away from home."

He looked back over at Soyokaze.

"Do you think me a charitable man, Doji-san?" he asked his tone surprisingly neutral on this, leaving Soyokaze to work out the best response he could to the magisgtrate's insight.

"While the yoirki chase him down, why don't we talk a little bit about what happened and what will happen?"

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm

"I expect no charity Oharu-sama nor do I deserve any. I regret that I will have to leave the lands of the Crane and my home but it is my lords will that as a second son I marry out of the Crane and strengthen our bonds with another clan." He hoped the truth of strengthening alliances was enough to cover for all the other lies the statement held.

“I do come before you today with a burden I cannot shoulder on my own. I have been challenged to a duel of honor by Seppun Yuzu-sama, Miai candidate. During a conversation I let slip the name of one I desire to be matched with. This enraged the Seppun and I further upset him by refusing to name the Lion clan Miai candidate I see as my rival in regards to the woman of my interest. I apologized repeatedly for these offenses to him but it did little good. He said that he would only accept my apology if i swore to stop courting the woman in question. To my dismay I forgot my station and refused the Seppun’s demand. I attempted to refuse the challenge but he would not accept that answer. The duel is set to take place at the dawning of the hour of Akodo-no-kami tomorrow. I seek your permission to petition Kakita Reina to act as my champion in this duel.”
Description

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:14 am

Asahina Soyokaze wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm
"I expect no charity Oharu-sama nor do I deserve any. I regret that I will have to leave the lands of the Crane and my home but it is my lords will that as a second son I marry out of the Crane and strengthen our bonds with another clan." He hoped the truth of strengthening alliances was enough to cover for all the other lies the statement held.

“I do come before you today with a burden I cannot shoulder on my own. I have been challenged to a duel of honor by Seppun Yuzu-sama, Miai candidate. During a conversation I let slip the name of one I desire to be matched with. This enraged the Seppun and I further upset him by refusing to name the Lion clan Miai candidate I see as my rival in regards to the woman of my interest. I apologized repeatedly for these offenses to him but it did little good. He said that he would only accept my apology if i swore to stop courting the woman in question. To my dismay I forgot my station and refused the Seppun’s demand. I attempted to refuse the challenge but he would not accept that answer. The duel is set to take place at the dawning of the hour of Akodo-no-kami tomorrow. I seek your permission to petition Kakita Reina to act as my champion in this duel.”
They weren't particularly hard to see through lies, but Oharu saw no gain in pressing the boy over them. If alliances were strengthened, that was all that really mattered in the end.

"Do rise, Asahina-san. My, a duel over such a matter...that is most unfortunate. I wonder if Yuzu-kun is simply brash, or if he is just desperate. He has made a large fool of himself this entire miai boasting of his inherent superiority, while he continues to be shown up by those he considers his lessers. Perhaps he was simply angry enough to issue just a challenge...or perhaps he knew that challenging you, even on such flimsy grounds would necesitate a champion, which would almost certainly be the Topaz Champion. With his delusional belief that he can be recognized the one who beat the Topaz Champion in a duel."

He shook his head.

"Folly either way. You would, of course, need the blessing of the Emerald office for such a duel to take place, which I'm inclined to give for a duel to first strike. It would be unfortunate if a member of the Imperial families was killed or maimed over such a simple matter.:'

'He tapped his cane.

"I can write such authorization, assuming that is the case, and leave asking Reina to stand as your champion to you. Do remind her that Topaz Champion she may be, turning her back on a fellow Crane in their hour of need would be....most unfortunate."
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:25 am

Soyokaze rose as he was bid to. "I thank you Oharu-sama and I do not expect Reina-sam will need to hear those words, she is a proper and honorable Crane." bow bowed again and recovered. "If you have the time to indulge this one I would ask a pair of related questions.

My first question is one concerning our Deer hosts. I find myself frustrated by these tests they have given us every day. I can see the meaning behind many of them and how they may be related to the trials of marriage but I none the less wonder if this is an effective way of matchmaking. The Deer are born of the Crane but their practices could not be more different. Where are the interviews and monitored outings with potential matches? This is not what we were prepared for.

My second question if you will indulge this one if there is anything I can do in your eyes to sway the matchmakers judgement one way or another; to aid them in seeing the righteousness of my desired match."
Description

Doji Oharu

Post by Doji Oharu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Oharu looked at the poor foolish love-besotten young boy before him. Was he ever truly that young?

"It's true, their ways are not our own. But then, our aims in matchmaking are not the same. The Crane have matchmade since the dawn of the Empire with a singular goal in mind: what benefits the Crane the most. "Every Emperor has a Doji wife and a Doji mother.' Our matches have put those with Crane training in courts throughout the land, so that when help is needed, you have allies somewhere amongst those with power. A cousin, an aunt, someone you can call on who if they cannot aid you directly, can influence someone who can. It is a gentle power that turns back the tides of war within the winter courts and has provided you with so many benefits growing up that you have taken for granted because you did not have to earn them, they were simply there."

He shook his head.

"Now keep in mind that the founding of the Deer clan starts with the defiance of Crane matchmaking. Two Crane who disobeyed their familes' wishes, and fled into the woods as ronin. Their they developed their own shugenja traditions. They would say from the Fortune of Marriage Musibi themselves, though how true that is is up for debate. But the matches they make are not to a singular political end. They say it is what Musubi wills. Whether that is true or not, they have a reputation for their matches being extremely important, whether or not it was understood at the time."

He pauses a moment.

"What I can say is that the trials are not a strict test of marriageable qualities. There is no miai champion at the end. Rather they are meant to reveal more about your nature. How well you perform is part of it, but the choices you make reveal to them more about your truest inner nature. Directly influencing the Deer one way or the other is extremely difficult. People have tried showering them with gifts, threatening them with duels, fathering children on the person they desire to try and force the Deer to unite them....none of it works. The Deer simply will make the match that they say must be made. If you can find a way to bend the Deer to your will, Asahina-san, you will certainly have accomplished something truly amazing."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:38 pm

Soyokaze was exhausted and the older Crane's words did little to rekindle him but he kept his composure, this was almost over and he could sulk later.

"Thank you Doji Oharu-sama for your time and wisdom this day, you bring honor and glory to the Crane. With your permission I will go and seek out Kakita Reina-sama, she deserves as much time to decide and prepare a I can give her."
Description

Doji Oharu

Post by Doji Oharu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Asahina Soyokaze wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:38 pm
Soyokaze was exhausted and the older Crane's words did little to rekindle him but he kept his composure, this was almost over and he could sulk later.

"Thank you Doji Oharu-sama for your time and wisdom this day, you bring honor and glory to the Crane. With your permission I will go and seek out Kakita Reina-sama, she deserves as much time to decide and prepare a I can give her."
Another seated bow.

"Ganbatte, Asahina-san. Carry the Fortunes." he said, dismissing the man.