[Day 0, Mid-Afternoon] If I Have To, I Guess. (Open)

The most famous temple to the Fortune of Marriage
Shiba Raizo

[Day 0, Mid-Afternoon] If I Have To, I Guess. (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:24 am

He wasn't a very good Phoenix. He knew it, the Fortunes knew it, hell, people he'd only met for five minutes probably knew it.

But he knew the Fortunes were out there.

Even if he thought they were usually fickle bastards out to fuck with mortals for purposes he could never be arsed to figure out.

And he knew that Musubi was an old Fortune, and therefore probably an even bigger bastard than most.

So he walked up to the tree, looking up into the branches.

All right you terrifying ancient thing, here we are. You know why I've been sent here, and you know that I'm likely to fuck it up. So let's see what I can do for you to lessen the impact, hm? Not much room for piety in my life for a while now, and pretty sure you're fine so long as I don't take a piss on this tree or do something equally moronic, but all the same, maybe we can hash out some sort of truce?
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Seppun Unsei

Re: [Day 0, Mid-Afternoon] If I Have To, I Guess. (Open)

Post by Seppun Unsei » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:36 am

Like an unwanted specter, the shugenja appeared from behind the tree. As always, their wide-brimmed hat held a thin silk veil around them, helping to shield them from the deadly laser that was the sun while their dark robes helped as well. Their wide, honey-colored eyes pierced through Raizo like they could read their thoughts.

They couldn't, of course, and Unsei was entirely being an asshole for the fun of it right now which was exactly why they were staring so intently on this one Phoenix.

"Phoenix-san." They said solemnly before shaking their head. "Truly? Here? Of all places?"
Imperial ❀ Shugenja ❀ Professional Dumbass ❀ Benten's Curse ❀ Sixth Sense ❀ Affect of Harmlessness
Glory: Reputable Status: Average Imperial Honor: Average Profile!
Carries: Fan, smol knife, wakizashi, finger of jade, divination kit!

Wears: Unsei often is seen wearing star-covered robes in shades of black, dark blues, and gold. In the center of their forehead is a small birthmark in the shape of a diamond/star, and they always wear a hat with a short veil and tassels on it. Their hair is kept in a long ponytail that reaches down to their ankles.

"You might've heard of me. I was the Imperial that broke their toe falling out of a tree at Shiro Kuni."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 am

This is what I get for NOT pissing on the tree, is that it?

"Sorry, Seppun-sama? You appear to have me at a disadvantage."

But what else is new?

He bowed.

"This one is Shiba Raizo."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Seppun Unsei

Post by Seppun Unsei » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 am

They kept staring at him for a few more moments, completely unblinking. Then like the game was up, they started giggling.

"Oh, no need to be so formal, Shiba-san. I'm just messing around. Though, I'm Seppun Unsei, Astrologer at your service." They bowed politely in return. "Probably not the best place for me to be messing around, but I'm sure the Fortunes are fine with a bit of teasing here and there on their grounds."

There had to be a Fortune of Games after all. Somewhere out there.
Imperial ❀ Shugenja ❀ Professional Dumbass ❀ Benten's Curse ❀ Sixth Sense ❀ Affect of Harmlessness

Wears: Unsei often is seen wearing star-covered robes in shades of black, dark blues, and gold. In the center of their forehead is a small birthmark in the shape of a diamond/star, and they always wear a hat with a short veil and tassels on it. Their hair is kept in a long ponytail that reaches down to their ankles.

"You might've heard of me. I was the Imperial that broke their toe falling out of a tree at Shiro Kuni."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:55 am

"If they aren't, I expect they spend a lot of their time pretty angry."

He paused. Half-smiled.

"Which would explain a thing or two about the state of the world, come to think of it..."
Remember to Breathe

Seppun Unsei

Post by Seppun Unsei » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 am

They head started turning ever so slowly to the side like a puppy seeing something new for the first time.

Angry Fortunes could be considered a failure of duty for any shugenja, since they're supposed to be some of the main ones keeping them and the kami happy, or at least Unsei felt like it was a call out at being crap at their job.

Blink.

Blink. Blink.

"What do you mean by that?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 am

Raizo didn't do subtext.

"Just been my experience that the Fortunes mostly leave us to look after ourselves. Oh, sometimes you get what could be taken a sign of direct blessing or disfavor, but..."

He gestured toward the temple door, and out into the wider world.

"Most of us who spend more time out there than in here kinda miss the finer points. And sometimes make jokes which fail to land."
Remember to Breathe

Seppun Unsei

Post by Seppun Unsei » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:10 am

"The Fortunes watch over us always. Sometimes they do not help like we wish them to, but they have many people to watch over and cannot always bless each Rokugani."

Sure can randomly curse them though. Thanks.

"But, I know my words aren't going to change a lifetime of believing in something. Just... might be best to keep that to yourself. Monks and other more militant shugenja might take more offense since it's taught that the Fortunes watch over us all in many ways."

They paused and straightened their head back up. "If you want to keep talking about it though, we can. I haven't really had a good theological chat in a while." Like a shimmer, they suddenly seemed a lot more mature and serious than they were earlier as they clasped their hands in front of them. A faint smile adorned their lips. "And new views aren't bad either."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 am

"Oh, these views aren't new. Might be new coming from a Phoenix, but... I've heard 'em articulated by some pretty old guys."

He paused.

"How did Tessho put it? 'Call on Bishamon all you want, but put your back into the work while you do.'"
Remember to Breathe

Seppun Unsei

Post by Seppun Unsei » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:26 am

They sighed softly. "That's not what I meant. It is new views to me. Not new views in general." They shook their head and moved over to a nearby bench, sitting down.

"It's a pain and a half to find anything that's actually new. With so many generations before us, it's difficult to create anything that's entirely original. It's almost kind of sad when you think about it, but little we can do about it."