[D13, EN] No Rest 1 (Open)

The most famous temple to the Fortune of Marriage
Asahina Soyokaze

[D13, EN] No Rest 1 (Open)

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:01 pm

There would be no rest for Soyokaze this night, the stress and anxiety saw to that, so rather than lay on his tatami trying to will Yomi to take him he went to the temple. he had been lax in his attendance and set to work cleaning ever inch of the place as she would, all the while saying prayers to Musubi and Benten for their blessing in what was to come.
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Kitsuki Edogawa

Re: [D13, EN] No Rest 1 (Open)

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:43 pm

There was a man staring at the tree in the lantern light. Something dropped from his hand, then spun through the air beside him, before returning to his palm. With a few variations, this happened over and over.
Dragon Clan πŸ‰ Investigator πŸ‰ Courtier πŸ‰ Bushi πŸ‰ Gamer πŸ‰ Curious πŸ‰ Softhearted πŸ‰ Observant πŸ‰ Wise πŸ‰ Doom Whispered
Honor: 54 | Glory: 51 | Status: 30

Carries: Ceremonial Clothes, Wakizashi, Knife, Yo-Yo, Journal

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 pm

That must be the Kitsuki that Hikimasu was talking about, Edogawa-sama.

Soyokaze continued his cleaning but found himself edging closer to the Dragon curious to see what he was doing.
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm

He had a toy, a yo-yo. They weren't common, but not unheard of. Some samurai were more familiar with them than others. The one he had appeared to be old. It was difficult to see as it spun around in the lantern light, but the craftsmanship seemed to be of fair quality.

For the moment, Edogawa was focused on the tree, as he absently flicked the toy from his hand.
Dragon Clan πŸ‰ Investigator πŸ‰ Courtier πŸ‰ Bushi πŸ‰ Gamer πŸ‰ Curious πŸ‰ Softhearted πŸ‰ Observant πŸ‰ Wise πŸ‰ Doom Whispered

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:56 pm

Soyokaze thought he knew what he was looking at but was very curious. He didn't want to disturb the Kitsuki who seemed lost in his tranquility. He was torn but after a few more moments he approached the Dragon, offering a low cough before he reached him to allow the Kitsuki a moment to regain his sense of the world. "Excuse he Kitsuki-sama, I am sorry to disturb you, I am Asahina Soyokaze. I don't believe we have met yet, I was wondering if I could ask you about that item you are using."
Description

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 pm

He turned to look at the Crane, then looked at the toy as it landed in his pal once more. He returned his eyes to Soyokaze with a smile.

"Of course, Asahina-sama." He slipped the string from his finger and offered the yo-yo.

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:31 pm

Soyokaze sat down across from him but held a hand up in refusal. "Oh I do not mean for you to part with it, I am merely interested in learning about it; how it works and it's uses."
Description

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 am

"Oh." He held it up. "The pair of discs are held together by a smooth, cylindrical axle. The string is looped around the axle loosely, allowing it to spin freely when it's dropped."

He demonstrated this, letting the toy fall to the full length of the string. It continued to spin a few inches off the ground.

"A slight tug will allow the string to catch and wind around the axel as it ascends back to my hand."

He pulled it back to his palm.

"Those are the basics, as I understand them." He repeated the motions as he continued. "But, there are variations, tricks."

He dropped it toward the ground again, then whipped it around in a wide arc before pulling it back to his hand. Next, he wound the string around the fingers of both hands after releasing the yo-yo. It continued spinning for a few moments, cradled between his hands. Then, it wove it's way back around his fingers as it wound back yo his hand.

"It's purpose is simply entertainment. I've heard stories that they were once used for hunting, but that seems impractical."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:19 am

"I see, that was my biggest curiosity, I wasn't sure if it was a toy or a weapon. I can think of a few Doji magistrates who would likely use it to apprehend criminals, it does look like it would hurt to be hit with. I think I like it better as a toy though." He seemed to be studying it intently, watching both it's working and how the Kitsuki used it. "Did you make it?"
Description

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:55 am

He shook his head. "I found it with one of my ancestors' journals. I assume it was his, but I don't know how he came by it. He did an extensive study of the relationship between games and cultures throughout the Empire. Presumably, it was connected to that."