[D9LA] Wooden arguments (Expecting)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Moto Mitsuki

Re: [D9LA] Wooden arguments (Expecting)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 pm

"Can't have a cake and eat it Shiba-san.

A compromise if one has access to wood in the vicinity of a potential battlefield is to craft basic shields and light spears out of it, literary just big rectangular planks and long pointy sticks, and to give them at the frontline soldiers. They'll do a good enough impression at breaking volleys of projectile and the first charge, and once the battle has devolved into melee, soldiers can just abandon them in favor of their usual weaponry.

One of my ancestors won a battle where her troops were outnumbered three to one that way. A lot of generals underestimate how efficient makeshift weapons are, at least in the short term."
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

"Oh, we've been working on our 'cut down some trees to make sharpened stakes' game ever since things between our Clan and yours got... tense. I'm more than familiar with the concept."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:47 pm

"And the Unicorn has, unsurprisingly, had to face that strategy for centuries now.

So, while it's a good move, we've definitely got quite a few countermeasures for it by now."

She shrugged:

"However, if things reach the next level of... tense, both sides are going to throw their magic into the mix. And from that point onward, classic strategies aren't going to cut it, on any side."
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm

"Eh, for us, inclusion of magic is our classic strategy... at least in large-scale stuff. My outfit doesn't even see a shugenja half the time, and we have one with us maybe once or twice a year. But the Elemental Legions... their whole deal is using magic in conjunction with units of dedicated shugenja."

He shrugged.

"But I think a lack of understanding of Unicorn magic is at the root of this whole mess anyhow, so if things get much worse, I suppose we'll see how it goes."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:15 pm

"When water hits fire, neither the one holding the torch nor the one carrying the bucket has any control on where the steam will flow. Both sides can just hope that the wind will or will not change its course at that exact moment.

I definitely don't look forward to that front. While the war with the Lion will likely very bloody, humans and beasts can only damage the land to a certain point. Magic however... There are numerous hints the Burning Sands used to a fertile land you know?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:40 pm

He paused. Glanced at her.

"No, I hadn't heard. Would you indulge me by telling me about them, Moto-san?"
Remember to Breathe

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:14 pm

"We don't know what happened. But there are ruins. Dried-up river beds. Fractured mountains. And one of the few things the legends of all people of the Burning Sands agree on if that the change was swift and cataclysmic.

We call it the Day of Wrath. The history of the Moto start when the Ujik met Shinjo. The history of the Ujik start at the Day of Wrath. Everything that was before has been lost but for a few memories.

Of course, you can imagine there are many theories about the how and the why of this event. Two advanced civilizations clashing with such magical strength they reduced themselves and everything around them to rubble is the third most popular I would say."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 pm

"Well. This is perhaps a poor thing for a Phoenix to tell a Unicorn, but... given the way we revere the kami and the natural balance, I... suspect we'd draw a line before it got that far. Some defeats aren't as bad as the consequences if victory."
Remember to Breathe