[Day 7, Early Afternoon] Force of Habit (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Shiba Raizo

[Day 7, Early Afternoon] Force of Habit (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:01 am

Like he could go a day without hitting the dojo.

For one thing, it was about the only even remotely familiar touchstone in Kyuden Shika.

So Raizo went through his usual naginata forms, and tried to banish the various thoughts racing through his mind.

Yeah, good luck with that.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Re: [Day 7, Early Afternoon] Force of Habit (Open)

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Nesshin bows himself in to the dojo where he has spent so much time over so many years, although less in the past few days than ought to have been the case. He limbers up while Raizo works through forms, and, when the Phoenix is at a decent point, nods to him, asking "How's your head?"

He also goes to get a practice spear from the racks--and a few javelins. After yesterday, he is reminded that he must practice things diligently.
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Raizo nodded back.

"Well. Better than anyone who had to listen to my voice as I butchered the very concept of music. I would apologize, but your clan brought that on themselves..."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:01 pm

"You're not the worst that's been heard," Nesshin replies, cracking a grin. "Last one I worked had one poor youth whose voice cracked on every other syllable--and into a different key each time. Another, well, there's a reason she went home with a deaf man."

He shakes his head.

"But I have to wonder what'll be said of me--of us, really--in years to come, when other miai happen and other young Deer find themselves swept up in it."
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:10 pm

"I imagine we'd tax the sanity of the most absurd playwright. Maybe we can live on as cautionary tales..."
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:19 pm

"That'd be a different theme that we've seen on stage here this go 'round," Nesshin notes.

"But I don't think either of us is here to compare theater notes," he adds. "Care for a spar?"

D11+, has a second fan.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:29 pm

"Sure! Be nice to practice against a weapon with comparable reach... I've mostly seen kenjutsu and jiujutsu practice here..."

He gave the practice naginata an experimental spin.

"Fair warning though, I know more about marching than fighting..."
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:34 pm

"Gotta get where you need to go," Nesshin says, and he sets the javelins aside for now.

Giving a short bow, he readies the practice tsunoyari, adopting a standard, centered stance.

~~~~~
Before I start rolling, do we want to dice it out, or do we want to make it narrative? And, if the former, best of three passes or what?

D11+, has a second fan.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:39 pm

Raizo brought up the naginata, his own stance relaxed. Fluid.

[I'm all for narrative- I don't see either of our boys picking up strife from this, it's the very definition of a friendly spar. Raizo has a whopping 1 rank in Melee, his only kata either let him intercept attacks meant for others or ignore armor bonuses, so...]
Remember to Breathe

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:48 pm

As Raizo settles into his stance, Nesshin waits for the span of a heartbeat and explodes into motion, spinning like a cyclone and bringing the butt end of his spear towards the backs of the Phoenix's knees. Tripping attacks are a specialty of the cervid spearfighitng style, and they'd served Nesshin well enough the day before.

~~~~~
Narrative it is!

D11+, has a second fan.