(D6 EA) Sometimes You Need More Than Hands (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Susaki Tanabe

(D6 EA) Sometimes You Need More Than Hands (Open)

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:23 am

A regular sight at this point Tanabe made his way into the dojo after finishing his run, he had taken time to quickly cleanse himself at the inn and change into some appropriately not soaked clothing.

What was unusual about today is the big Otter appeared to not be practicing his unarmed kata but rather grabbed a practice sword off the rack as he walked in. His father had showed him some things and Tanabe had watched and trained with the other bushi back home but he was certainly no master swordsman.
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Suzume Senseki

Re: (D6 EA) Sometimes You Need More Than Hands (Open)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:45 pm

The Suzume was also a regular at the Dojo by now - less so than the large Otter, but still. He's seen him practicing unarmed before - and how Yasu looked at him as he did so, although of course he made no mention of that! - so seeing him with a sword today was a bit of a surprise.

"Konnichiwa, Susaki-sama", the Sparrow said friendly as he bowed after doing the usual entering rituals. "Ah... I haven't properly presented myself! Suzume Senseki, from northern Sparrow lands", he adds. Then, eyeing the sword in his hands. "I see you've taken to kenjutsu today! Perhaps I'll have the chance to know a bit of the Otter's style?", he asked with another smile.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:46 pm

"Ahh if it isn't more of the Emperor's Chosen!" Yoshi has been hanging around the dojo, mostly lamenting his performance and nursing his pride. It is a little surprising to see a pairing of a Sparrow and Otter. "I hope you had better luck than me"
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 pm

"Oh?" - The Sparrow turns towards the voice, then recognising who it comes from, he bows. "Ah... Kasuga-sama, I believe? Pleasure to meet you properly", he says with a serene, friendly smile. "Do you refer to this morning?", he then asks, nodding at the part of the dojo where shooting targets are still mounted.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm

"Oh yes. I am afraid that my talents lie elsewhere?" Yoshi rubs the back of his head. "Tabulating sums, piloting a ship, building a new outpost my clan in Kyuden Shika...those things, I'm a whizz at." Yoshi puffs out his chest. "I'm open to investors by the way" Then coughs. "But arrow marksmanship is not one"

Agenda Rolls-Build Tortoise smuggling outpost/geisha hall in Kyuden Shiba-Water/Courtesy-TN 2-Perceived wealth distinction | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:45 pm
-snip-
Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:46 pm
-snip-
Tanabe smiled and bowed to the Sparrow who approached first "Hai Suzume-san I need to practice a little with the blade, as strong as I am even my might fists can't solve all problems!" He said chuckling a bit "Though I did not study with the other Susaki bushi I am mostly taught by my father who learned his swordsmanship as a ronin. I know some of the Otter tricks though just from being around." He explained cheerily.

As the tortoise approached Tanabe gave him a bow as well "Ah yes Kasuga-san I also performed only ok this morning. Archery has never been a focus point for me."
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm
"Oh yes. I am afraid that my talents lie elsewhere?" Yoshi rubs the back of his head. "Tabulating sums, piloting a ship, building a new outpost my clan in Kyuden Shika...those things, I'm a whizz at." Yoshi puffs out his chest. "I'm open to investors by the way" Then coughs. "But arrow marksmanship is not one"
Susaki Tanabe wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:20 pm
Tanabe smiled and bowed to the Sparrow who approached first "Hai Suzume-san I need to practice a little with the blade, as strong as I am even my might fists can't solve all problems!" He said chuckling a bit "Though I did not study with the other Susaki bushi I am mostly taught by my father who learned his swordsmanship as a ronin. I know some of the Otter tricks though just from being around." He explained cheerily.

As the tortoise approached Tanabe gave him a bow as well "Ah yes Kasuga-san I also performed only ok this morning. Archery has never been a focus point for me."
"Oh, so you aren't Otter-trained then, Susaki-san?" The Sparrow seemed somewhat surprised, but apparently positively so. "Might I ask who you studied with, then? It's always interesting to learn about different styles - of fighting and living, I might add!"

Then to the Kasuga. "Oh... so the Tortoise plan on building an outpost here? I... I'm afraid I couldn't contribute with much... although the idea of greater proximity between the Minor Clans is good, ne?", he adds with a smile.

"In fact, this reminds me of a story a friend of my uncle once told us. The Sparrow were always known for our efforts to survive on our own... but that does not mean we don't cherish - and sometimes need - the support of others. And the chance to support others as well!"

He goes on to tell a story of a particularly bad drought, in which the Sparrow were doing their best to keep everyone fed and safe, but as things were particularly dire, they initially tried to ask for the support of neighbouring clans. Given the drought, they also had their own problems to deal with... but the Crane, the Crab and even some Lion offered assistance. It so happened, however, that the bureaucracy and the discussions involving the different clans took so long, and led to so much discussion between the great clans, that the ones who provided help the faster were actually the nearby Fox and Hare - simple, humble help, some fruits, roots, poorer grain and vegetables, but enough to get through the thickest of the drought. And what they asked in return was help when and if it would be needed... which, according to the story, the Sparrow provided, a decade or so later.

"Long story short... sometimes keeping our peoples close may help us get through things, ne?", he adds with a smile.

OOC:
Agenda roll targetting Tanabe had been done in PF earlier :)

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:19 pm

"Well, you see that the Deer are being asked to throw in with the Crane. Imagine if joined in as a group, a single power block?" Yoshi sighs and stretches. "I do not lack for ambition, but that would take some doing"