[Day 5, Early Afternoon] A Slight Change of Pace (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Susaki Tanabe

Re: [Day 5, Early Afternoon] A Slight Change of Pace (Open)

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:07 pm

as opposed to a reserved snot Tanabe gave a full bellied laugh at the Shiba's response "Well Shiba-sama, you don't mince words do you? I like that!" he declared loudly.

his voice returned to a more regular volume, for him any way "I'll admit I wasn't thrilled when I was told I would have to watch Usogawa-sama at a miai. I thought these things were pretty useless and kind of a waste of time and like you said I had no idea what to do here, a sumai ring rules are simple straight forward, being a yojimbo just have to keep my eyes sharp and protect Usogawa-sama, again, simple. But a miai? a place where i was supposed to meet my spouse?" he shook his head a little chuckling "That sounded like a nightmare."

he looked over his shoulder briefly his happy, playful smile softening "but honestly, i think its growing on me."
Last edited by Susaki Tanabe on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Raizo chuckled.

"Ah, but did you impress her at some event, or did you simply meet her around the Kyuden? I've also.... met someone, but I've found the miai getting in the damn way ever since."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 pm
Her attention is drawn instantly to the Sparrow with a couple of quick blinks at the shift. She bows. "Same, Suzume-san...well, with the good to see you. Not surprised to find you here." She plucks a reasonable representation of a naginata from the rack. "But yes, the Kuni train to fight. We are often in places where it's a necessity."

With a glance and a nod to the open spot she'd been looking at, she asks, "I was planning to run through kata, but my head's a bit busy for solitary focus. Would you be interested in sparring a bit?"
He smiles somewhat awkwardly at her jest, but doesn't directly answer to it other than with a weak grin.

"Well, it shouldn't be surprising, really", he finally says after a while. "Some joint practice would be nice!". A look at the practice weapon rack. "So... Kuni-sama usually wields polearms, then? I might learn a few things from you, then... staves are the closest I've trained to with any frequency"

He then looks at his bokken again and takes a step back, then nods to a free place where they could try their sparring bout. "Well, I could see how much of a disadvantage I end up in against a polearm with a sword instead... let's see."
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:36 pm
He smiles somewhat awkwardly at her jest, but doesn't directly answer to it other than with a weak grin.

"Well, it shouldn't be surprising, really", he finally says after a while. "Some joint practice would be nice!". A look at the practice weapon rack. "So... Kuni-sama usually wields polearms, then? I might learn a few things from you, then... staves are the closest I've trained to with any frequency"

He then looks at his bokken again and takes a step back, then nods to a free place where they could try their sparring bout. "Well, I could see how much of a disadvantage I end up in against a polearm with a sword instead... let's see."
"Less disadvantage than you might expect in here. Kind of different in a crush of people fighting." She heads to the indicated bit of space in the halls wide expanse of mats. "The reach is good, but I expect you've got more training and that goes a long way."

"Found anything...or anyone?...interesting in the past few days, Suzume-san?"
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pm
"Less disadvantage than you might expect in here. Kind of different in a crush of people fighting." She heads to the indicated bit of space in the halls wide expanse of mats. "The reach is good, but I expect you've got more training and that goes a long way."

"Found anything...or anyone?...interesting in the past few days, Suzume-san?"
He nods. "Un, that would make sense. Can't say I've been in crowded fights often... but I suppose it could be a larger advantage in them."

He sets himself some 10 feet away from her and bows... then with a slight grin he answers mid-bow.

"Well... I've found a few interesting places. The Aokami forest, for one. It's... similar to some of the woods close to home and in the Kitsune lands, but still... different. And... I get the feeling there's something else there? But then it could be just a feeling. And... the gardens and the temple. I quite like them."

As he sets himself straight and raises his bokken in a somewhat defensive position, he gives her a weak grin again. "...maybe this was not the main point of your question, though? It's... you know, nature calls me. More than..."

An awkward smile. "Ah... not like... you know..."

He falls quiet and the smile widens, as does the awkwardness. The stance is kept, and he readies himself for their bout...

OOC:
D5 EA - Fluffy training. Earth/ Melee, TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 3 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image
2 Success symbol/ 3 Opportunity symbol/ 2Strife symbol
Opportunity symbolOpportunity symbol tank Strife symbol Strife symbol
EDIT: 1 Opportunity symbol used for Earthy showing off instead after Discord chat :)
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm
He nods. "Un, that would make sense. Can't say I've been in crowded fights often... but I suppose it could be a larger advantage in them."

He sets himself some 10 feet away from her and bows... then with a slight grin he answers mid-bow.

"Well... I've found a few interesting places. The Aokami forest, for one. It's... similar to some of the woods close to home and in the Kitsune lands, but still... different. And... I get the feeling there's something else there? But then it could be just a feeling. And... the gardens and the temple. I quite like them."

As he sets himself straight and raises his bokken in a somewhat defensive position, he gives her a weak grin again. "...maybe this was not the main point of your question, though? It's... you know, nature calls me. More than..."

An awkward smile. "Ah... not like... you know..."

He falls quiet and the smile widens, as does the awkwardness. The stance is kept, and he readies himself for their bout...
"I should spend more time in the woods. We have nothing so lush in Kuni lands" She smiles quizzically as the Sparrow trails off. "More comfortable away from so many people?" She knew a few Crab like that, mostly Hiruma...who could survive being a Crab like that.

"I haven't seen the Sparrow's style before, so I expect to learn something as well." After a respectful bow, she takes her stance as well, feet planted solidly the long pole with its bamboo 'blade' lowered between them where it has room to knock an attack out of the way.

D5 (slightly late) sparring roll | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image

matched outcome with base success and an opportunity to show off.
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm
"I should spend more time in the woods. We have nothing so lush in Kuni lands" She smiles quizzically as the Sparrow trails off. "More comfortable away from so many people?" She knew a few Crab like that, mostly Hiruma...who could survive being a Crab like that.

"I haven't seen the Sparrow's style before, so I expect to learn something as well." After a respectful bow, she takes her stance as well, feet planted solidly the long pole with its bamboo 'blade' lowered between them where it has room to knock an attack out of the way.

matched outcome with base success and an opportunity to show off.
"I guess!", he says as he waits for them to begin. "Not really used to many people around, I guess. Grew in a small village and all... And most often keeping my hands busy at that."

He takes a while to notice the phrasing... when he does, he decides just smiling and returning the respectful bow is better than trying to mend it.

His stance is also grounded, sword pointing down at Yasu's knee, and he barely moves his feet as he watches her movements. When he does move, it is slowly and carefully, trying to find a way to get closer to her and find an opening in her solid guard - but he's clearly prioritising not letting his guard open to her as well.

"As I said to a Moto lady just the other day... I guess our style is simple, as much else in our lands." A smile as he tries to step closer. "Hopefully effective, too", he adds with a smile. "The Kuni... you have a martial style of your own?"

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:16 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 pm
Raizo chuckled.

"Ah, but did you impress her at some event, or did you simply meet her around the Kyuden? I've also.... met someone, but I've found the miai getting in the damn way ever since."
Tanabe chuckled and nodded "point taken Shiba-sama though I don't think I've seen anyone wow people at the events enough to make a possible suitor swoon."

The comment about the miai getting in the way definitely got him think about his own experiences "Yes many chances to find interesting people but also a lot of competition. And we don't even get to choose ourselves. I guess my opinion on the whole thing will depend on the outcome."
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Susaki Tanabe wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:16 pm
Tanabe chuckled and nodded "point taken Shiba-sama though I don't think I've seen anyone wow people at the events enough to make a possible suitor swoon."

The comment about the miai getting in the way definitely got him think about his own experiences "Yes many chances to find interesting people but also a lot of competition. And we don't even get to choose ourselves. I guess my opinion on the whole thing will depend on the outcome."
"That's the rub, isn't it? Whatever bonds we might forge could well go nowhere. Which means all of us are off-balance for the foreseeable future."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:30 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm

"I guess!", he says as he waits for them to begin. "Not really used to many people around, I guess. Grew in a small village and all... And most often keeping my hands busy at that."

He takes a while to notice the phrasing... when he does, he decides just smiling and returning the respectful bow is better than trying to mend it.

His stance is also grounded, sword pointing down at Yasu's knee, and he barely moves his feet as he watches her movements. When he does move, it is slowly and carefully, trying to find a way to get closer to her and find an opening in her solid guard - but he's clearly prioritising not letting his guard open to her as well.

"As I said to a Moto lady just the other day... I guess our style is simple, as much else in our lands." A smile as he tries to step closer. "Hopefully effective, too", he adds with a smile. "The Kuni... you have a martial style of your own?"
Yasu sees the movement, sidestepping with a relatively small movement to deflect his bokken with the shaft of her weapon, lunging through the opened space with a shout. She doesn't expect to connect, having barely felt out the Sparrow's defenses, and shifts back into a more guarded stance before coming forward with a low sweep aimed just below the knees.

"Hmm, not as such. We work from master to apprentice. So I'll share a style with my sensei's other apprentices, but another Kuni will probably have a rather different one, favor a different weapon, and so on."

The conversation lends itself to remaining somewhat cautious in style as well. It take more focus, and breath, to trade rapid blows.

Description