[D4 LM] Working out the Stress

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Kitsu Murato

Re: [D4 LM] Working out the Stress

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:44 am

"It's awful and it isn't, like a lot of things. Nobody wants to get stabbed, but it's nice to know how to stab people in battle." He turns to face Tanabe.

"Catch and release?' He shows a short exercise where they thrust at each other, deflect it sideways and catch the spear with one hand to control the tip.

"I'd be up for most of those, but I am not sure I'm in the condition for all of those. Perhaps the running to start off. I'm not new to it, though I still didn't get run like the Akodo students do. I feel bad for them sometimes."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:56 am

he nodded "Everyone starts somewhere Kitsu-sama! what matters most is the willingness to put in the work." he exclaimed "We'll make a great warrior out of you yet. Get to go home and show all those Akodo and Matsu warriors up."

Tanabe nodded and set up across from the Kitsu dropping into a stance and setting the practice weapon "Should I attack first or would you like the first strike?" he asked
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:01 pm

"You can go first and I'll show you how to receive the thrust. Then we'll switch every 4 or 5. Just start out slow so we don't get hurt. We'll start going faster and harder when we get comfortable with each other, just like the spacing."

He stands in a guard position, ready to go. Reacting with a block that pushes Tadare's spear aside but not wide while keeping his relatively close, he reaches out qnd grabs the Otters spear and tugs it while putting a foot back. Not enough to try to pull him off balance, but it makes it clear what catch and release is.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Tanabe nodded focusing on the motion and watching how Murato received the thrust and how the exercise flowed. After a few thrusts they switched and Tanabe parried and grabbed the spear. It was less smooth than Murato but not horrible, a little rougher with the tug as he figured out the right amount of force to use.

"Good exercise, I assume if two spears fight this is what you want to do? Get control of the other one so their weapon is less effective."

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 am

He continues the exercise - thrusting, then defending and grabbing in groups. The pace at which he does so increases only slightly at intervals so as to give Tadare time to get used to the speed of deflection.

"The primary focus is more on the defending, getting used to gauging the incoming spear to turn it aside. Grabbing the shaft and tugging is more of a short thing to throw balance off and control for a moment. Holding onto the spear long term can be dangerous. The opponent will have a stronger grip with two hands, so you aren't likely to disarm them, and if you hold on and they yank back hard enough, depending on the type of spear you can lose fingers. So only ever just a tug. Unless you are Hida Kisada... then you can just pick the spear up along with the person on the other end," Murato says with a wide smile.

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:46 am

Tanabe keeps up the pace that Murato does, if the Lion's thrusts speed up Tanabe speeds up to match. As the exercise goes on his movements slowly become smoother and more controlled finding the sweet spot in the tug.

He nods to the lesson "I see, makes sense." He grimaced slightly "would hate to lose fingers, would be hard to be the best sumai in the Empire without them."

But he laughs a bit at the joke about Kisada "Now thats a man I wish i could wrestle, legends about him sound formidable indeed."

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:07 am

"There is a man here that has met him at a winter court actually. Only got spoken to once, but he might be able to tell you how you compare in height and build," Murato says with a smirk. "Kitsuki Hajime. Though if you are not inclined to find a husband, I would say be straightforward about that in your approach if you wish to ask about it. There are not many men here that are interested in finding a husband, so it's likely best not to put him on or give him false hope through misunderstanding. Though if you are inclined to that, all the better because he is a rather lovely man. A court poet for his daimyo."

The practice continues with him speaking between thrusts and blocks. The pace becomes a steady for a little bit, then he starts to switch speeds to be a bit random. Likely causing Tadare to have to pay a bit more attention to the speed of his blocks.

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:28 am

"Oh yes Kitsuki-sama." Tanabe replied with recognition as they worked "Yes I spoke with him at the play on our second night here. He was a pretty nice guy." Tanabe said thoughtfully as he recollected about the short but pleasant interaction. Lost in thought for a moment he took one of the faster jabs right in the chest.

He hissed a little from the surprise more than the pain and then laughed "Ah I need to keep my head in the game it seems" He said as he rubbed the sore spot.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 am

"Are you okay? Do I need to call for a shugenja?" he asks with a smirk. He uses the spear to tap the big Otter's leg, taking a few seconds to let him reset and refocus. "I hope I haven't ended your sumai career with my great spear prowess. The strongest spearman with in 6 inches of this spot if the rumors are right."

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:04 am

Tanabe laughed boisterously, a nice full bellied laugh "Not today Kitsu-sama!" he said as he calmed a little.

"It'll take more than a length of wood to take me out! " he said confidently as he settled back into the stance more focused than before but his almost trademark easy smile on his lips.