[D4 LM] Working out the Stress

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Kitsu Murato

[D4 LM] Working out the Stress

Post by Kitsu Murato » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm

Murato sat and focused, the practice spear resting across his lap as he looked inward. He separated the world from his self, then slowly dipped himself back into it to become more fully in tune.

[OOC: Passion for Strife]
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Susaki Tanabe

Re: [D4 LM] Working out the Stress

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:45 pm

Tanabe was mentally exhausted from the poetry recital this morning even if he had done fairly well. Performing still always gave him some jitters whether the crowd liked it or not.

He had decided that a good workout might help to balance him a bit more, give his mind something else to focus on. He entered the dojo paying his proper respects and saw he was not the only one who thought to visit.

He bowed to the other "good morning Kitsu-sama. It looks like we had a similar idea for after that trial." He said with a small smile.
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:03 pm

"Indeed," the Kitsu said, rising and planting the spear beside him before offering a bow. "Interested in some practice exercises?" he asks, referring more to the two person drills than actual sparring. He was a head shorter than Tanabe, but that's probably taller than the average he's used to being around.

He pulls one of his feet up behind him in a stretch. "I am Kitsu Murato, it's a pleasure to meat you Susaki-san."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 am

"Well met Kitsu-sama! This one is Susaki Tanabe." he replied "I'd be happy to run through some exercises, though be warned the most i know about a spear is from fishing with it." he said with a laugh "But I'm nothing if not adventurous, lets see what you can show me." he said as he grabbed a practice weapon and turned to face the Lion.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:53 am

"If you've used it for fishing then you already know the most important lesson. Keep the pointy end towards your target," Murato replied with a chuckle.

"But the basic idea is similar to an arrow. Make the tip move at your opponent quickly which makes it harder for them to block. And keep opponents farther away to makes it harder for them to attack. Takes a bit more precision than a sword, and doesn't cause as much damage in general. But it also keeps you a little safer with it's fighting distance," he says with a nod.

"The first basic drills are for hand placement, as well as gauging and controlling distance. We'll basically just go back and forth stepping in and out of striking range and poking the upper chest area, to get used to how far you should be from your opponent based on reach."

He puts his hands in proper position on the practice spear, showing Susaki. That part was much different from how a spear was used in fishing.

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Tanabe smiled "yea I figured it worked like any pointed weapon, sharp end goes into the other guy." He said as he got closer to Murato. Tanabe mirrored the Kitsu's hand placement on the wood and got into a general fighting stance.

"Alright so now we just go back and forth poking eachother?" He asked when he looked ready.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:24 pm

"Yeah, we'll keep it up for a bit. When you feel comfortable with your thrusting you start going a little faster. You just plant the tip right here," he say, patting his upper chest. "It's a wide target and close to the heart. You may get some minor bruising, that will go away with rest, but it's ok if you are a little rough with me. The padding makes it pretty easy to take a spear."

He gives the explanation completely straight faced, but it's had to believe he doesn't know exactly what he just said. But he just does a practice thrust as an example to show the starting position, the movement, and the return to start.

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Tanabe grins as the Kitsu explains surely the man has to know what he's saying but Tanabe just listens for now nodding as Murato finishes his explanation

"Well it looks like a slightly different kind of thrust than I'm used to but I'm sure I'll pick up on it quick enough. Handling a spear came natural enough the first time can't imagine this'll be much different. But you're a brave one Kitsu-sama, most people see my size and hope I won't be rough with them."

His grin never changes, normal pleasant expression as he talks nothing suggestive perhaps just genuine surprise at Murato's words.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:05 pm

He nods, and starts the exercise off slowly, taking a turn from beginning position to ending position. So as to not surprise Tanabe, he started with less pressure on the slower thrusts. When he thought the bigger man should be thrusting a bit harder, Murato slapped his own chest a bit.

In all fairness, the Susaki was clearly the tougher man. Anyone could see that. But Murato had a strength and willingness to suffer through pain that was a bit more than one would expect from most bureacrats. And he actually knew what he was doing with the spear even if he was no master.

He spoke between thrusts and breaths.

"This is just the spacing exercise. We'll push against each other for a little while, to get used to when you'll feel resistance at the extent of your reach. It will help you figure out where yor feet need to be in relation to the opponents torso. The exercise helps teach you not to over extend as well."

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Tanabe followed the lead of the Kitsu while the thrusting exercises began he indeed was starting soft mainly on account that he didn't see much reason to try to hurt the man but as the Kitsu asked for more the Otter would push harder, maybe there was some purpose to doing it that way.

He listened and nodded to Murato, seemed reasonable enough "Kitsu, usually priests right? You obviously know how to handle the spear but your bearing isn't that of a warrior." He observes.