[D2EE] A good sweat at the end of the day (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Moto Mitsuki

[D2EE] A good sweat at the end of the day (Open)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 pm

Dressed in a modest training apparatus, hair tied-up and face cleaned-up, Mitsuki was the model image of a diligent student as she went through series after series of kata bokken in hand.

The only oddity was that she appeared to practice only one-handed exercises, never grabbing her training sword with both hands at once. However, she did practice switching her sword from one hand to another from time to time, even though she was clearly more comfortable with one than the other.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Suzume Senseki

Re: [D2EE] A good sweat at the end of the day (Open)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:10 am

Having spent the previous day without any time dedicated to training, Senseki did not want to skip the dojo two days in a row, and so he walked inside in a simple, drab-coloured training gi with a dark brown sparrow showing on his left sleeve and a bokken in hand.

Seeing the Moto from the day before inside, he bows respectfully to her, the same slow walk and kind, quiet smile of the day before on his face. "Konbanwa, Moto-sama", he says, then his eyes keep on her arms and its movements for some time. When she finishes one series of movements, he nods at her. "That's an interesting style, Moto-sama! I... assume it keeps your hand free to hold on to your horse?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 pm

"Good evening Suzume-sama.

It is part of the answer but not it's totality. While even the best of riders sometimes has to catch the reins, a good one can control their horse without relying on their hands in most situations.

The main reason is that a lot of the cavalry tactics used in the Burning Sands require the use of a shield. The natives have adapted to cavalry charges as best as they could, and without the extra protection of a shield, arrows and spears are quite effective at taking down a cavalier, even an armored one."

She grabbed the bokken more traditionally with both hands.

"I have been taught the basis of a two-handed grip just in case, and I do practice them from time to time. But when I have to put them in practice in real life, it's a good sign that the situation has taken a sour turn."

She playfully pointed at him with the wooden sword:

"Now that I have revealed my totally obvious school secrets, it's your turn. What is the Sparrow's fencing all about?"
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:17 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 pm
"Good evening Suzume-sama.

It is part of the answer but not it's totality. While even the best of riders sometimes has to catch the reins, a good one can control their horse without relying on their hands in most situations.

The main reason is that a lot of the cavalry tactics used in the Burning Sands require the use of a shield. The natives have adapted to cavalry charges as best as they could, and without the extra protection of a shield, arrows and spears are quite effective at taking down a cavalier, even an armored one."

She grabbed the bokken more traditionally with both hands.

"I have been taught the basis of a two-handed grip just in case, and I do practice them from time to time. But when I have to put them in practice in real life, it's a good sign that the situation has taken a sour turn."

She playfully pointed at him with the wooden sword:

"Now that I have revealed my totally obvious school secrets, it's your turn. What is the Sparrow's fencing all about?"
He listens to her attentively, a brow only slightly raising at the mention of a 'shield'. "Oh... you mean, like, it's something you wear on one hand that... protects you?"

That the concept seems a little alien to him is clear in his confusion, but he seems to accept it. Mostly.

"The Sparrow... well, I don't think we have anything particularly fancy about our fighting arts?", he says with a simple smile. "I mean... from what I could see in comparison to other styles I've seen in action, I suppose we're... softer than the Crab? Or the Hida... they were Hida I've seen during one visit to Crab lands, I think. Slower and more... grounded than the Hare, I guess. And less focused on duelling and quick reflexes than the Kakita..." he seems pensive for some more time. "Maybe our style is closer to the Crane in spirit? Although... simpler, I assume. More focused on the basics." Another smile and a shrug. "Like much in our lands, I guess! Focused on the basics, and on getting them done as well as possible to make sure all keeps well, safe and healthy... without excesses."

Some silence, and another smile. "Maybe by watching and sparring we could learn a bit more from each other's styles? I find that often doing something helps commit it to mind, ne?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm

"You see how people sometimes use metal fans to deflect projectiles and blows? A shield is basically a cooking pot lid, a cover with a handle, dedicated to that purpose. They're usually made of wicker or rattan or similar plants, reinforced with hide on the exposed side. The ones used by cavaliers are usually about as large and wide as their torso.

They don't look much, but they're impressively resilient and efficient. Saved my life from a stray arrow quite a few times."

She grabbed her bokken properly and put up a defensive stance.

"I'll bring my personal buckler to the dojo next time if you're interested. A good look is worth a thousand words indeed.

As for the now, I'm ready for you to show me your moves."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm
"You see how people sometimes use metal fans to deflect projectiles and blows? A shield is basically a cooking pot lid, a cover with a handle, dedicated to that purpose. They're usually made of wicker or rattan or similar plants, reinforced with hide on the exposed side. The ones used by cavaliers are usually about as large and wide as their torso.

They don't look much, but they're impressively resilient and efficient. Saved my life from a stray arrow quite a few times."

She grabbed her bokken properly and put up a defensive stance.

"I'll bring my personal buckler to the dojo next time if you're interested. A good look is worth a thousand words indeed.

As for the now, I'm ready for you to show me your moves."
"A... cooking pot..."

He stops mid-sentence, breathes, smiles, and lets the explanation sink in. Weird as it may sound, they... might be useful. Maybe?

"I'd very much like to see it, yes, Moto-sama! Not sure I... quite understand it, but it does sound like it could be useful, from your description."

Then, bowing to her again. "A quick match, then?"

OOC:
Really sorry for the absence, been restricted to my phone for most of the weekend, actually since friday! If you still wanna go for a quick match, it shouldn't matter for later things as long as we stick to fatigue? :)

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Mitsuki returned the bow, they took position... And barely an instant after the match had started the Moto warrior was already lunging forward, indeed intending for the match to be quick.

---

No issue for the delay. However I'm a strict adherent to the "no dice roll after day flip" rule, if only to save a few headaches to everyone.

We can still spare here and then, but it'll be full fluff. Mitsuki is Endurance/Composure: 8, likely better at simply swinging her sword (heritage), however all her combat techniques only really work for group combats (bonus to allies, bonus against multiple enemies).

Or we can just end the scene on that cliffhanger and do that promised fight with shield on D4.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:53 pm
Mitsuki returned the bow, they took position... And barely an instant after the match had started the Moto warrior was already lunging forward, indeed intending for the match to be quick.

---

No issue for the delay. However I'm a strict adherent to the "no dice roll after day flip" rule, if only to save a few headaches to everyone.

We can still spare here and then, but it'll be full fluff. Mitsuki is Endurance/Composure: 8, likely better at simply swinging her sword (heritage), however all her combat techniques only really work for group combats (bonus to allies, bonus against multiple enemies).

Or we can just end the scene on that cliffhanger and do that promised fight with shield on D4.
Meanwhile, the Sparrow kept a strong stance, defending with solid feet movements and attacking with simple, direct hits, but now and then changing to a flowing stance.

---
OOC:
Senseki is Endurance 8, Composure 10, Melee 2 which is probably less than her. Has one Iaijutsu technique, but nothing too fancy.

Let's go for a D4 spar then? :)