(D1, LM, Open) The Blade of My... Non-Ancestor

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Kitsu Murato

Re: (D1, LM, Open) The Blade of My... Non-Ancestor

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 pm

"You'd think so. But there's no pleasing some spirits," he says with a chuckle.

Then, either a breeze blew through the dojo that the Shiba missed, or an invisible hand slapped Murato upside the head, because a bit of his hair flew out of place for a moment.

"Yes, yes, Taiko-san," he says.

"He wants me to ask if you want to spar or run kata drills with me so I can see observe someone who knows how to wield a blade properly. Like I don't know how. Mostly just impatient if you ask me."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 pm

"Well. I'm better at the marching, and the foraging, and the 'you idiots will get killed if you use that formation' part of the job, but I suppose I could give it a whirl."

He set the practice polearm aside and went for a bokken.

"An old ronin once told me, though, that a real soldier tries to fight as little as possible."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 pm

"A good piece of advice for anyone," he agreed. "Especially for a bureaucrat."

He moved to the dojo floor then waited for Raizo to get a bokken and join him.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm

"Bureaucrats, soldiers... being able to fight is a good thing. Needing to is a bad one."

And not just because disemboweling some poor bastard smells awful.

He gave his bokken a practice swing, frowned, and selected another.

"So apart from... Taiko, have you had any formal instruction?"
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:54 pm

"Not formal, but I've been told that my form is good from Akodo I've sparred with. The Kitsu's home also happens to be the site of the largest Akodo dojo in Lion lands," he explains. "Lots of opportunity to practice with the number of students, no opportunity for formal training with how busy the sensei are."

He holds his sword well enough for someone trained in a courtier school.

"Though the sword and spear are optional training with the Ikoma, so if I made my way back to the dojo I'd be able to."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:02 pm

"Well, Shiro Shiba has its own techniques and ways, so bear with me if any of this seems unfamiliar..."

Raizo hit his stance, and began a flowing kata, one which was taught across most of the Empire-Striking as Water.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:05 pm

He wasn't familiar with the kata itself, but as he watched he seemed to have an affinity for understanding it. He seemed to be able to flow in the way it was designed to make use of as he started following along after watching for a bit. He clearly wasn't trained in this kata, but he'd likely be able to make good use of it if he did so.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 pm

"That's about right, shift and adapt. Each movement is seeking an opening. Flow where your opponent is weak, rather than hitting them where they're strong..."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:18 pm

He nods at that. "Much of the time, when I fight, I tend to rely on instinct. Taiko has said that it suits me to do so," he replies. "But these movements feel good to me as well. More controlled, less reactive. It feels as though I could take initiative rather than reacting as I usually do."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm

"Well. Every action has its reaction. A big part of this kata is seeing where to go- flow downhill, as it were. If they guard high-"

He brought his bokken low

"- then there's an opening to exploit. If they advance, you can withdraw. If they withdraw, you can advance. In some ways, it's very reactive, but without feeling like it."
Remember to Breathe