(D0, LA) Cursing the Mulberry

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Bayushi Luixian

Re: (D0, LA) Cursing the Mulberry

Post by Bayushi Luixian » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 am
"I can see why a Deer Miai would be beneficial; If a decision is made here few can contest it, and if you decide to favour one of the clans, they would treat you well, I imagine."
While the Kitsu spoke Luixian paid some attention but wlaked over to the sidelines. They weren't talking and taking up the middle of the dojo floor to chat wasn't something she cared to do. As rough as she was she did have respect for such places. It was when he mentioned the clan she would marry into treating her well that she stopped. Her head turned to look at him and while the mask covered her entire face he could feel the snarl hidden underneath.

"Treat me well huh? Like some prize they had picked up at a festival and now will do with as they please because they own it?" Her voice was low and the venom in it was vicious. The grip on her bokken tightened by she did not make any moves to use it. "Kept in a glided cage and forever on a silken leash."

The rest of his words weren't responded to as her focus had turned entirely on the phrase likely meant in good faith.
Scorpion ~ Bushi ~ Blunt ~ Large Stature ~ Blessed Lineage ~ Pet Quail ~ Kitsu Heritage
Glory: 44 ~ Honor: 40 ~ Status: 45
Has: Oni mask, Daisho, Pet Quail,
Wishes she could wear: Lacquered armor, Otsuchi
Profile/Description

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:14 am

Bayushi Luixian wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 pm
"Treat me well huh? Like some prize they had picked up at a festival and now will do with as they please because they own it?" Her voice was low and the venom in it was vicious. The grip on her bokken tightened by she did not make any moves to use it. "Kept in a glided cage and forever on a silken leash."
Ah, it appears he had struck a nerve.

However, as a famous bard once said, 'The worst way to lead a Lion is to try and push it back'. Hence, Moshu showed no signs of backing down, nor indeed of having made any great mistake. It was a misunderstanding of words - one he would clarify.

"My thinking was more like a host who serves their guest well because they are a friend of the family, more than mere courtesy. Like a shugenja who gets free tea at a tea house because they blessed the birth of the owner's child. That's more what I mean, you see? Reciprocating kindness, not that... dark misuse of life you described."

He remembered two entries he had written into the fallen - one which horrified him, and the other he placed there himself.

"Any Lord who leaves a samurai to rot like - dare I say - some kind of glorified geisha - is no lord worth serving."

At the mention of glorified geisha, he couldn't help but feel shivers up his spine, but he refused to let them show.
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Bayushi Luixian

Post by Bayushi Luixian » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:46 am

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:14 am
"My thinking was more like a host who serves their guest well because they are a friend of the family, more than mere courtesy. Like a shugenja who gets free tea at a tea house because they blessed the birth of the owner's child. That's more what I mean, you see? Reciprocating kindness, not that... dark misuse of life you described."

He remembered two entries he had written into the fallen - one which horrified him, and the other he placed there himself.

"Any Lord who leaves a samurai to rot like - dare I say - some kind of glorified geisha - is no lord worth serving."

At the mention of glorified geisha, he couldn't help but feel shivers up his spine, but he refused to let them show.
"Not exactly easy to just leave their service if they're your spouse. The one who pulled you off into whichever clan you're going into." There was a snort from underneath the mask. "But I know my family wouldn't allow that to happen to me. Feels like that's what my life would be if I got married though." She shook her head. "What of this journal of yours then. This Fallen whatever. Tell me about it." Anything to get off of the previous topic.
Scorpion ~ Bushi ~ Blunt ~ Large Stature ~ Blessed Lineage ~ Pet Quail ~ Kitsu Heritage
Profile/Description

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Bayushi Luixian wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:46 am
"What of this journal of yours then. This Fallen whatever. Tell me about it." Anything to get off of the previous topic.
Seamlessly transitioning into an academic tone, he began.

"The record of the Fallen is a sub-sector of the Ikoma libraries, founded in the year 627. It is a section of the library dedicated to those who samurai who have recently died, although peasants of great renown and servitude have also earned a place. When a clansman dies, it is the work of us Writers of the Fallen to collect not just their deeds, but also a sense of self from friends and family in order to create a final record of who they were for the summation of their life. Copies of this are sent to the family themselves and kept in the Ikoma libraries themselves, in a subsection marked out for the records of the fallen."

He turned his bokken to the dummy behind him as he talked, using it almost as a teaching utensil.

"It's purpose is multi-faceted; first,"
There was a light thwack as the dummy's abdomen was tapped -
"It gives the families and friends a final moment of glory they can remember their recently lost kin by. Second,"
Another tap - this one more muted, but in the middle of the dummy -
"It is a record of one's ancestry which anyone can access, without invoking their ancestors for every detail. Thirdly,"
A final thwack to the crown of the dummy -
"Each record increases the number of lessons we can teach our descendants. Each life is an example of one possible way of navigating the samurai's life and the demands placed upon it. Each record is a stepping stone upon the future Lion's path to being the best that they can be."

He returned the bokken to his side, limply.

"We have also begun writing on behalf of other clans as requested, although those records are left in the hands of their home clan to do with as they see fit. Any questions so far?"
PM if thread desired

Bayushi Luixian

Post by Bayushi Luixian » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm
Seamlessly transitioning into an academic tone, he began.
Luixian had not entirely expected an entire lesson but she had asked for it. As such she listened quietly. Her masked face followed along with where he pointed with the bokken but it was difficult to gauge her actual interest in the topic at hand.

"Do you fabricate any? Surely there have been asses and more that have died and needed writing on. Do you turn them into heroes after they die? Praise their deeds while hiding away their disgusting personalities so that all will think that they are some great noble?" Like it was the tetsubo she wished it was Luixian set the tip of the bokken down onto the floor and leaned on it some though making sure not to put too much weight on it so it wouldn't break.

"Not to mention records written but I'm guessing that they're written for all with the exception of those who have been so severely dishonored? Don't know much about the Lion but I do know that they tend to strike the names of those so dishonored from all records."
Profile/Description

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 am

Bayushi Luixian wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am
"Do you fabricate any? Surely there have been asses and more that have died and needed writing on. Do you turn them into heroes after they die? Praise their deeds while hiding away their disgusting personalities so that all will think that they are some great noble?"
Moshu nodded intently - these were good questions.

"With our ancestors always watching, we write down nothing that is false. That said, there are difficult cases, and sometimes there is little record to be left behind."
Bayushi Luixian wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am
"Not to mention records written but I'm guessing that they're written for all with the exception of those who have been so severely dishonored? Don't know much about the Lion but I do know that they tend to strike the names of those so dishonored from all records."
"That said, those who have gone beyond the grace of Rokugan itself will find themselves lost to our tomes. An exception is made, however, when a Deathseeker redeems themselves in battle."
PM if thread desired

Bayushi Luixian

Post by Bayushi Luixian » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:15 am

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 am
"That said, those who have gone beyond the grace of Rokugan itself will find themselves lost to our tomes. An exception is made, however, when a Deathseeker redeems themselves in battle."
She didn't seem to be pleased with the answers and likely would've started to prod more into them had they been anywhere other than the dojo. So as a response to his words was a simple grunt.

"We'll have to continue this conversation elsewhere eventually, if we ever talk again. A dojo isn't the best place for word debates and I'm sure the other people training aren't pleased to hear us talking like a pair of old women who have nothing better to do with their time other than gossip."
Profile/Description

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:13 am

Moshu nodded, giving a bow to the Scorpion.

"I wish you the best of luck, Bayushi-san. May you find what you seek at this miai."

With that, he wondered elsewhere in the dojo to practice.
PM if thread desired