[D13 LM, Open] One last practice

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Kitsu Moshumaru

Re: [D13 LM, Open] One last practice

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:26 pm

"It's pressure."

With a rough strike, he returned to practice as he explained.

"It's weird to think about but, when you put something people naturally crave on the line, who do they go to afterwards when they feel tired or upset or angry? They aren't going to spend time with people they come to dislike or who leave them angry. Given some time, patterns start to form, and affections are forged in fire."

He made another strike.

"The rice gets cooking when you let people decide who marries who based on this arbitrary set of tasks, or as you'd call them, 'bullshit'. Suddenly it's not just 'let's impress Shika-san for the glory of the clan', but you're playing go for the future love of your life. Is it ethical? ...On reflection, no. Fortunes know I'd need a very serious reason to let my child go to one of these Topaz Miais. But it forges marriages, and thus alliances, in fire, which in theory should make them stronger and more steeled for what the future holds for them."

Another draw.

"Does my theory make sense?"
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:30 pm

"All except for the part where I fell head over heels for a ronin. What alliance is there to be won, hm?"
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 pm

"That,"

The Kitsu responded as if he had expected this,

"Would be between you and the Deer and the ronin. The ronin would owe the hosts for letting them into the Miai - and thus into a clan - so they would in theory remember and vouch for the Deer when appropriate. That'd be the theory, at least -"

sheathed.

"But as we discussed yesterday, the world is messier in practice than the labels we place in theory."
PM if thread desired

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:37 pm

"And the part where ronin aren't a unified group with any shared sense of obligation."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:38 pm

"Yes, but that goes into the question of why Aimi-san was invited in the first place, which I wouldn't feel is an appropriate line of inquiry for one as uninvolved as I."
PM if thread desired

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 pm

"Just saying. There are... corner cases which make me question the broader supposition."

Another vicious swing, this one rising from the floor.

"And what of those who have refused to participate? That big Scorpion I saw around but never at the events, for example."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 pm
"Just saying. There are... corner cases which make me question the broader supposition."

Another vicious swing, this one rising from the floor.

"And what of those who have refused to participate? That big Scorpion I saw around but never at the events, for example."
"Individuals with their own reasons, I imagine - it was the clans that sent them to the miai, not them. Those with no drive to hunt will be given scraps off the table, which still result in a marriage. A technical completion of duty, but one punished for not following the spirit of the competition with getting whoever you get."

The Kitsu drew once more.

"Between you and me, I'd put my honour on the Scorpion having lost someone dear. It's not my place to comment, but every conversation feels like she's been grieving for a long time - and I would know grief."
PM if thread desired

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:52 pm

"Everybody here's grieving something."

A disemboweling stroke across a horizontal axis followed.

"And I don't know that they'll be punished any more than those of us with strong hopes that don't have them met."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 pm

"Hence why I don't call it ethical."
PM if thread desired

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:04 pm

"The whole process is... vexing."
Remember to Breathe