D12 (should be M)M, Nesshin v Senseki

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Shika Nesshin

D12 (should be M)M, Nesshin v Senseki

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Nesshin bows himself into the ring, the unfamiliar bokken heavy in his hand.

He will bow to his opponent when the latter arrives.

~~~~~
As a reminder, the rules:
Rules for non-shugenja:

Engage in a First Strike Duel with bokken or a Taryu-jitsu For the first strike duel, Create a thread in the dojo for the duel, and link it to this thread. Each duelist also needs to create a thread in their private forum so they can secretly bid strife on initiative and use the predict maneuver. Combatants will start at Range 1 from each other with weapons unready. The match is concluded either when 1 or both opponents achieve a critical strike of any value, one or more competitors are unable to continue, or one concedes the match.

[...]

Scoring priority:

Successfully pulled off a first strike against your opponent (if non-shugenja). Defeated opponent if shugenja.
Duel Scoring system
Most opportunities spent to show off
Highest Status
Highest Glory
Highest Honor
looks for a flowchart before rolling...
Last edited by Shika Nesshin on Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Suzume Senseki

Re: D12EM, Nesshin v Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 pm

When the time came for Senseki's and Nesshin's duel, the Sparrow made his way to the area reserved for them with his usual slow gait, a gentle, calm expression on his face only just hiding some excitement. When the Deer took his place, he nodded at him with a friendly expression or camaraderie, nodded, then bowed low.

"Shika-sama, I was hoping to meet you at the dojo. I'm happy to be your partner today."

He went on to tell a short story of how what are often seen as weaker, less important animals in a forest face incredible challenges of their own, which may be just as daunting - and inspiring - as those of flashier animals, or even more.

"May we do our best, ne!?", he then says, with a somewhat curious mix of calm and excitement, his head still low... although he turns his head to look at one of the other Minor Clanners ready for their duel - the Otter Bushi - as he said that.

When they straighten themselves, he takes to a fixed, solid stance as he starts to observe the Nesshin's movements.

OOC:
(Hah! I was posting this just now! Had called it "A Minor Clash of Antlers and Wings - Shika Nesshin vs Senseki Suzume" XD Let's keep this one instead!

Asahina Bo had posted a flowchart here, in case it helps:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19&start=1660#p22079

Might also be worth checking the most recent entries in the GM Questions thread, there's been quite a few related to duels - but if you want to ask something over Discord, go ahead and PM me! I'm still unsure of quite a few things as well, but I've run a practice duel yesterday so maybe I can help some XD

Also! Going ahead and rolling for initiative!
D12 MM - A Minor Clash - Nesshin vs Senseki. Duel Initiative. Sparrow Technique. Earth/Performance TN 1 | TN: 1 | Success: 5 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 5
Image Image Image Image Image Image
5Success symbol/1Opportunity symbol/5Strife symbol
1Opportunity symbol to negate 1Strife symbol, so 4Strife symbol taken.

Initiative before staredown: 3 (Focus)+5(successes) = 8

Also - Using Suzume technique "Speak tradition, speak peace" for the Session to have Susaki Tanabe benefit from my 5 successes ;)
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:01 pm

"Indeed," Nesshin replies simply, somewhat ill at ease in the situation. Far better to strike...well, that doesn't matter at the moment.

His own stance has him bouncing on the balls of his feet, ready to move in any direction.

~~~~~
Edited thread to correct time. It's MM, not EM.

Initiative roll, https://sakkaku.org/rolls/1829; passes at 1Success symbol0Opportunity symbol1Strife symbol; Initiative is 6, so Senseki goes first.
Composure 5/8
Fatigue 0/8
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:01 pm
"Indeed," Nesshin replies simply, somewhat ill at ease in the situation. Far better to strike...well, that doesn't matter at the moment.

His own stance has him bouncing on the balls of his feet, ready to move in any direction.

~~~~~
Edited thread to correct time. It's MM, not EM.

Initiative roll, https://sakkaku.org/rolls/1829; passes at 1Success symbol0Opportunity symbol1Strife symbol; Initiative is 6, so Senseki goes first.
Composure 5/8
Fatigue 0/8
OOC:
It's actually staredown and betting time, I guess?
We both take 1 strife (not sure if you took at into account already?)

I'll post my bid in the PF before posting it here :)

Current Composure: 5/10 (after 1 from staredown, before bid)
Current Fatigue 0/8
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Suzume Senseki

Re: D12 (should be M)M, Nesshin v Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:56 pm

The Sparrow nods at the Shika, his face still friendly despite his focus on his movements...

OOC:
And bid noted down!

http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 111#p23892

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:58 pm

(Bid's on record in PF.
Not sure how to proceed. Duels confuse.)

D11+, has a second fan.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:58 pm
(Bid's on record in PF.
Not sure how to proceed. Duels confuse.)
(I just thought it could use a sort of web application to handle the bids and so on. Would make for a fun dynamics. Maybe a pet project for some time...

But for now, with the bids recorded: Senseki bid 0, so total Init still 8!)

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 pm

(Initiative remains 6.
6/8 Strife after staredown 1
0/8 Fatigue

I believe it's your action.)

D11+, has a second fan.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 pm
(Initiative remains 6.
6/8 Strife after staredown 1
0/8 Fatigue

I believe it's your action.)
The Suzume's whole body seems to relax as his eyes first apparently lose all focus, then seem to lock into the Shika's...

... as he does so, he sings a very short song in a quiet, calm voice.
resounding silence
in the woods - the prey's eyes raise
daring defiance
OOC:
Suzume's turn:
Switch to Void Stance
Action: Focus -
D12 MM - Duel vs Nesshin. Round 1, switch to Void, Focus! Triggers Mind's Edge | TN: 1 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image
Reserving Opportunity symbolSuccess symbol and Success symbol dice!

And Mind's Edge triggered:
D12 MM - Duel vs Nesshin, round 1; Mind's Edge triggered by Focus. Suzume technique. Performance/Void TN 1 | TN: 1 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 4
Image Image Image Image
4Success symbol/ 4Strife symbol
4Strife symbol negated by Void Stance!
4Success symbol => "the next time you would receive strife, reduce the amount you receive by 3, plus 1 per two bonus successes" - so reduce strife by 4 the first time it would be received next round.

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:08 pm

In the space after the Sparrow's poem, Nesshin shifts his weight, readies his blade, and swings to an uncertain end!

~~~~~
Shift to Water Stance
Ready Weapon
Attack roll https://sakkaku.org/rolls/1844
Passes at 2Success symbol1Opportunity symbol2Strife symbol
Use Water 1Opportunity symbol to remove 2Strife symbol, effectively negating Strife gain

No idea what happens now.

D11+, has a second fan.