[Day 10, Late Morning] Firebird (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Shiba Raizo

Re: [Day 10, Late Morning] Firebird (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:53 am

[Raizo loses his strife a timeslot later, and doesn't really do social rolls if he can avoid it :lol: ]

"Just bear in mind, it'll be a bit less... nimble than what you may be used to."

Raizo headed for the rack to get a practice naginata of his own.

"As for the miai? I've met someone and care for her. But I have absolutely no idea what the nakodo will decide. It's extremely nerve-racking."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:55 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:53 am
[Raizo loses his strife a timeslot later, and doesn't really do social rolls if he can avoid it :lol: ]

"Just bear in mind, it'll be a bit less... nimble than what you may be used to."

Raizo headed for the rack to get a practice naginata of his own.

"As for the miai? I've met someone and care for her. But I have absolutely no idea what the nakodo will decide. It's extremely nerve-racking."
"Well, I'm not sure how nimble you expect I'm used to", he says with a calm, but somewhat jocular smile. "Let's see how it goes, at any rate!"

He's clearly not used to the Naginata, and takes some time to feel it in his hands, its balance, reach and feel.

"Hm... So hoping the Nakodo will come to the same conclusion as you two did, then, ne?", he says gently. "Well... if the Shika's fame is to be believed, I see no reason why they shouldn't, ne?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:02 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:55 am
[...]
"Well. If I knew what I was doing. Or what they were doing. Or how any of this works? I might have something besides nervous uncertainty to work with..."

Raizo, by contrast, was entirely accustomed to the naginata.

"Helps to remember that you can cut or thrust with the blade- sometimes a draw-cut can bleed your enemy enough to weaken them, even if you haven't got the leverage fort a serious swing..."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:02 am
"Well. If I knew what I was doing. Or what they were doing. Or how any of this works? I might have something besides nervous uncertainty to work with..."

Raizo, by contrast, was entirely accustomed to the naginata.

"Helps to remember that you can cut or thrust with the blade- sometimes a draw-cut can bleed your enemy enough to weaken them, even if you haven't got the leverage fort a serious swing..."
A nod. "Un... I think I know what you mean. But then... I suppose we can only trust them, ne? If you've found peace with someone in particular... surely we can expect the Nakodo will notice that?"

The smile he gives the Phoenix is a kind one, but perhaps also more hoping than certain. He soon shifted his focus to the weapon, trying some movements, cuts and thrusts as instructed by the Shiba.

"Un. It... feels quite different from a Yari. Perhaps I'll need some practice to get a better feeling of how it operates."

OOC:
Wanna throw some dice at this, or just RP?
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm
A nod. "Un... I think I know what you mean. But then... I suppose we can only trust them, ne? If you've found peace with someone in particular... surely we can expect the Nakodo will notice that?"
"From your mouth to the Fortunes' ears..."
"Un. It... feels quite different from a Yari. Perhaps I'll need some practice to get a better feeling of how it operates."

OOC:
Wanna throw some dice at this, or just RP?
"Here's a few basic drills to help get a feel for it... just follow my movements..."

OOC: I don't see rattling dice as being the best call when I'm pretty sure our guys have the same stats and therefore Senseki's unfamiliarity with the weapon isn't really reflected :lol:
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:16 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:05 pm
"From your mouth to the Fortunes' ears..."
He nods at that, smiling.
Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:05 pm
"Here's a few basic drills to help get a feel for it... just follow my movements..."

OOC: I don't see rattling dice as being the best call when I'm pretty sure our guys have the same stats and therefore Senseki's unfamiliarity with the weapon isn't really reflected :lol:
He goes on to follow the Shiba's movements as best he can - it's somewhat clumsy at first, but after some time he seems to start getting the hang of it - as long as it's flowing movements, and not direct, aggressive ones.

"I assume the Naginata is an useful weapon in your duties, Shiba-san?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:16 am
He goes on to follow the Shiba's movements as best he can - it's somewhat clumsy at first, but after some time he seems to start getting the hang of it - as long as it's flowing movements, and not direct, aggressive ones.

"I assume the Naginata is an useful weapon in your duties, Shiba-san?"
"It has its moments."

A young bandit on horseback, looking in horror at where his arm had been. A Yobanjin, his eyes wide and his teeth clenched in pain as the blade lodged in his gut helped lever him off of the ground, his feet kicking uselessly in the air. The scream of a wounded horse and the shock of impact splintering the haft in his hands.

"Never pleasant ones, but it has them."
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:19 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 am
"It has its moments."

A young bandit on horseback, looking in horror at where his arm had been. A Yobanjin, his eyes wide and his teeth clenched in pain as the blade lodged in his gut helped lever him off of the ground, his feet kicking uselessly in the air. The scream of a wounded horse and the shock of impact splintering the haft in his hands.

"Never pleasant ones, but it has them."
The Suzume's face suddenly gets more serious and somewhat troubled. "Un... I suppose the memories of what a weapon does are often not pleasant ones, ne?"

He takes a step behind, trying to go for a defensive stance, trying to make the most of it. "I believe I've asked you something similar before, Shiba-san, but... do you dislike being a soldier?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:33 pm

"I don't know anyone who does the job who doesn't hate it. But it's a comfortable hate."
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:57 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:33 pm
"I don't know anyone who does the job who doesn't hate it. But it's a comfortable hate."
"A... comfortable hate?" The sparrow's face shows some confusion, for some time. "I mean... knowing what the job entails, I certainly understand not enjoying it. Or part of it. But... comfortable?"