[Day 10, Late Morning] Firebird (Open)

Home of the Shika Speardancers
Shiba Raizo

[Day 10, Late Morning] Firebird (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 pm

Say what you liked about all of the time Raizo had been spending in the dojo... it was plainly starting to pay off.

He was practicing with his bokken- largely to get his annoyance with his performance at the hunting event out of his mind- it was as if a capricious and random entity had decided to award him a miserable performance for its own inscrutable ends.

The same malicious imp of fortune saw to it that while his demonstration of Striking as Water was a thing of considerable precision, it didn't do its usual fine job of calming him.

Son of a BITCH.

[Martial Arts Melee+Water to demonstrate a kata (Striking as Water) | TN: 1 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 3
Image Image Image Image Image

Using the Water opp to remove 2 strife from himself- resulting in a net gain of 1 to his daily total so far :P ]
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Re: [Day 10, Late Morning] Firebird (Open)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:48 pm

The Sparrow seemed to have a way of walking into others, and Raizo in particular, when the Shiba was troubled.

Then again, the Shiba often seemed troubled, or dour...

One way or another, after the usual rituals at the door, Senseki kept silent as he observed the Phoenix's practiced and precise movements, and bowed low when he was done. "Konnichiwa, Shiba-san. That's an impressive performance!", he says friendly, still bowing.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:11 pm

"Well. It has its moments."

He chuckled.

"Much time as I spend here, I ought to be at least decent, after all."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:59 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:11 pm
"Well. It has its moments."

He chuckled.

"Much time as I spend here, I ought to be at least decent, after all."
"Well, fair enough! But really, that was an impressive performance, Shiba-san. So... I assume you're focused on mobility and flexibility in your style, then?", he asks with a smile. "I think I haven't had much chance to observe your style before, even though we've met quite a few times."
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:03 pm

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:59 pm
"Well, fair enough! But really, that was an impressive performance, Shiba-san. So... I assume you're focused on mobility and flexibility in your style, then?", he asks with a smile. "I think I haven't had much chance to observe your style before, even though we've met quite a few times."
"Well. Fluidity and flexibility can help you no matter who you're fighting. I'm plenty strong. I'm plenty tough. But there's always someone stronger or tougher. So you need to be adaptable."

He paused.

"And yourself, Suzumue-san?"
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:03 pm
"Well. Fluidity and flexibility can help you no matter who you're fighting. I'm plenty strong. I'm plenty tough. But there's always someone stronger or tougher. So you need to be adaptable."

He paused.

"And yourself, Suzume-san?"
The Suzume nodded. "Hai... I can certainly understand that, Shiba-san. In fact, Yoshie-sensei often praised me for having greater flexibility than other of those who studied besides me, saying I should recognise that as an asset. But then... I suppose my main focus is on a strong, steady base, not on movement or speed. Much as with others among my small clan, I believe." A smile. "We tend to focus on a good, sustainable base from which to grow even when there's not much, I guess, ne? That... and balance. As much as possible... which may or may not be much", he adds with a chuckle.

"I... remember Shiba-san said you used a variety of weapons in your duties, ne? But...is the sword still Shiba-san's weapon of choice?"

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:27 am

"Being somewhere other than the fight is my weapon of choice."

He sighed.

"But in the event I screw up and the fight reaches me, I use a naginata most of the time..."
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:30 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:27 am
"Being somewhere other than the fight is my weapon of choice."

He sighed.

"But in the event I screw up and the fight reaches me, I use a naginata most of the time..."
The Sparrow lets out a silent chuckle, a calm, serene one. "That sounds like the best weapon indeed, Shiba-san. No fight is usually better than one - except perhaps if it's only a mock fight. But then... a naginata, eh?" He immediately remembers his sparring with Yasu a few days back. "I... think that was a favourite of the Phoenix, if my memory serves?"

A kind smile.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 am

Suzume Senseki wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:30 am
The Sparrow lets out a silent chuckle, a calm, serene one. "That sounds like the best weapon indeed, Shiba-san. No fight is usually better than one - except perhaps if it's only a mock fight. But then... a naginata, eh?" He immediately remembers his sparring with Yasu a few days back. "I... think that was a favourite of the Phoenix, if my memory serves?"

A kind smile.
"It is. When it comes to swinging weapons at people, we like our blades on sticks. Frankly, a yari is quicker and lighter, but since it doesn't hit as hard...""
Remember to Breathe

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:47 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 am
"It is. When it comes to swinging weapons at people, we like our blades on sticks. Frankly, a yari is quicker and lighter, but since it doesn't hit as hard...""
Another nod. "I've learnt to value the yari... from a friend, in fact. I still carry the one he gave me." A smile. "Sometimes small things we learn from others are some of the things that really stay with us, I figure, ne?"

A small pause, then he adds a very short story about precisely that - small comments from chance encounters, or simple remarks from friends, and how they may play a bigger role than we might think.

"But then...", he adds, thoughtfully. "I guess that's perhaps obvious, ne?", he says, then smiles at the Phoenix again. "Anyway... perhaps I should take some time to learn with the Naginata as well!", he adds, looking at the weapons rack and moving towards it, looking for a mock weapon of a similar profile.

"And... the Miai? Has Shiba-san found yourself more at ease since our first conversation?"

OOC:
Copying my agenda roll here since there are some Opportunities that might benefit Raizo!

D10 LM - Agenda vs Shiba Raizo (Session 4). Performance/Earth vs TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 0 / Opportunity: 3 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image
Got 3Opportunity symbol here -
Could use 2Opportunity symbol to provide assistance if you want to go for a similar social check and/or Opportunity symbol to remove 2 strife from Raizo, as you wish ;)

If you use only Opportunity symbol or 2Opportunity symbol, I'll use Opportunity symbol to remove Strife symbol so as to take none.