Sound of clay, sound of sand (D7 MM - Senseki and Mitsuki)

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Suzume Senseki

Sound of clay, sound of sand (D7 MM - Senseki and Mitsuki)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:22 pm

After what had been said the day before, the Sparrow at least in part expected that today's test would relate to music in some way. Of course stories were more his thing than music itself... but he was still happy with the prospect.

The wide variety of instruments placed in front of them only made him more excited - and the wide smile on his face as he nodded to the Moto, inviting her to take one that she would feel comfortable with, made that quite clear. He took some time taking a look at the different instruments himself - many of them he had never actually seen before, even if he'd heard of them.

Typical of a Sparrow, though, he ended up settling for a... rather simple instrument - in shape and construction, if not so much in technique - a Tsuchibue, or globular clay flute with a textured, breathy sound. The one he ended up choosing had a rather low, deep tone, and he went on to start a melody that started slow and deep, with a slow, oscillating buildup to slightly higher tones, leaving space and a cue for Mitsuki to play into it.

OOC:
D7 MM - Love Songs with Moto Mitsuki - Earth/ Performance, TN 2. Seizing the moment | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image Image
3 Success symbol; 1Opportunity symbol; 2Strife symbol
2 Momentum points gained;

Opportunity symbol: Since Mitsuki doesn't need it, I'll use it to show off instead!

2 Strife symbol taken

Momentum: 2/6
1 Opportunity symbol to show off.
Last edited by Suzume Senseki on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Re: Sound of clay, sound of sand (D7 MM - Senseki and Mitsuki)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Mitsuki wasn't much of a musician, and barely more of a singer. But she knew how to raise her voice high and clear, to make her words resound for all to hear, backed with the strength of confidence if not skill.

Her song of choice was a slightly localized version of a popular Qamarist song in which she fired all her passion:
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, samurai, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a wind horse ride
---

D7MM | Love song | Performance (Fire) | Void Point | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 1

(typed Water in roll description out of reflexes but Fire is same dice pool and just way funnier)

Bonus success: 0
+1 momentum
1Opportunity symbol: Reduce the TN of the next Social check another character makes before the end of the scene by 1.
1Opportunity symbol: Show off

Strife: 1/8
Void: 0/2

Momentum (total): 2/6
Show-off opportunities (total): 1 or 2
Bonus success (total): 1

My strife's a beautiful 0 at the start of D7, so that opportunity can go to either showing off or canceling your own taken strife without a second thought. But thanks regardless for the attention.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:28 pm
Mitsuki wasn't much of a musician, and barely more of a singer. But she knew how to raise her voice high and clear, to make her words resound for all to hear, backed with the strength of confidence if not skill.

Her song of choice was a slightly localized version of a popular Qamarist song in which she fired all her passion:
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, samurai, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a wind horse ride
---

+1 momentum
1Opportunity symbol: Reduce the TN of the next Social check another character makes before the end of the scene by 1.
1Opportunity symbol: Show off

Strife: 1/8

Momentum (total): 3/6 (EDIT: Corrected here since I had 2!)
Show-off opportunities (total): 1 or 2
Bonus success (total): 1

My strife's a beautiful 0 at the start of D7, so that opportunity can go to either showing off or canceling your own taken strife without a second thought. But thanks regardless for the attention.
Senseki is a bit surprised at the take Mitsuki went for, and even with her voice, so it takes him some time to adapt, despite her providing ample opportunity for him. The faster pace he had gone for with the clay flute ends up clashing a bit with her voice at the start, but he quickly course-corrects, going for lower, deeper sounds and a slower pace again. He ends up setting the pace of a horse ride, which works well with the lyrics of the Moto's song. All in all, it contributes... somewhat, although it calls for a somewhat longer performance than he had initially expected.

OOC:
Round 2, roll 1
D7 MM - Love Song - Round 2 - Performance/ Earth - TN1 (reduced by Mitsuki's Opportunity in Round 1) | TN: 1 | Success: 0 / Opportunity: 3 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image
0 Success symbol.... ( :roll: )/ 3Opportunity symbol/ 0 Strife symbol

3 Opportunity symbol to show off

Momentum (total): 3/6 still
Show-off (total): 5 Opportunity symbol
Bonus successes (total): 1
Most opportunities used to impress by a single pc: 3
Highest number of bonus successes for a single pc: 1
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Mitsuki used her secret technique to fix a song about to go astray: Put. Everything. Into. VOLUME.

And if people thought Mitsuki was loud before, they had severely underestimated what a battle commander trained to shoot audible orders through a sandstorm could do without her voice even flinching:
LET IT GO
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free

LET IT GO
I am one with the wind and sky
You'll never see me cry
Let the storm rage on
Here I stand and here I stay
Yes, she might have mixed at least two songs together. But if the vibes are strong enough, no matter the lyrics, it just works.

---

D7MM | Love song | Performance (Fire) | TN: 2 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 2

2 bonus success: +3 momentum
2Opportunity symbol: Show-off

Strife: 3/8

Momentum (total): 6/6
Number of rolls: 4 (so, 2 rounds?)
Show-off (total): 7Opportunity symbol
Bonus successes (total): 3
No extra momentum
Most opportunities used to impress by a single PC: 3
Highest number of bonus successes for a single PC: 2
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Mitsuki used her secret technique to fix a song about to go astray: Put. Everything. Into. VOLUME.

And if people thought Mitsuki was loud before, they had severely underestimated what a battle commander trained to shoot audible orders through a sandstorm could do without her voice even flinching:
LET IT GO
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free

LET IT GO
I am one with the wind and sky
You'll never see me cry
Let the storm rage on
Here I stand and here I stay
Yes, she might have mixed at least two songs together. But if the vibes are strong enough, no matter the lyrics, it just works.

---
2 bonus success: +3 momentum
2Opportunity symbol: Show-off

Strife: 3/8
The Sparrow didn't quite expect that secret technique... but there's no question it worked well! The clay flute followed her loud virtuoso performance well enough, and the performance actually ended quickly, hopefully making for a striking show. He nodded happily at the Moto as they finished, before bowing respectfully to Pei Pei and the audience.

OOC:
Slight correction in the totals!

Momentum (total): 6/6
Number of rounds: 2 (2 rolls each)!
Show-off (total): 7Opportunity symbol
Bonus successes (total): 3
No extra momentum
Most opportunities used to impress by a single PC: 4 (Senseki)
Highest number of bonus successes for a single PC: 2 (Mitsuki)