(D2, ME) Erratic Love (Play)

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Bayushi Mitsu

Re: (D2, ME) Erratic Love (Play)

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 am
"So long as folks my size don't sit right in front of you, I guess they're pretty good." She settles to a seat, one knee bent up in front of her and one bent to the side, foot tucked up beneath the other to keep her large frame somewhat within the space alloted. "I'm more used to draw lot plays or traveling shows, honestly. Seating's way different and pretty much catch as catch can across the ground or someone's hall."
"I don't run across that style often, but even so, the seats in the back are almost always open. And from here, you can watch all of the performance," he informed, waving a hand to encompass the entire hall, "not just what's on stage."
A badly failed acupuncture session leaves Kaiu Haruko wandering the city streets acting in a very erratic manner. Misadventures ensure as she crosses paths with a Kaiu Witch Hunter (who thinks she's under a dark influence), an Asako Inquisitor (that think she's possessed), a Shosuro spymaster (who think she's undercover), a Togashi monk (who think she's found enlightenment), and a kindly Miya courtier (who just wants to help).
Bayushi shook his head as the performance concluded. "How unfortunate that not a single one of these samurai intuited the obvious influence behind the main character's behavior. None of them investigated where she had been earlier that day either! Had I been there, the story would have ended not only with the salvation of Kaiu Haruko but also the apprehension of the ill-intentioned acupuncturist!"

(D2, ME) Pushing agenda at the play | TN: 2 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image

[Failure! Perhaps a bit too boastful, but using the opportunity to fail with style, at least!]

Bayushi sighed. "Ah, well. It was entertaining enough and not without humor. What did you think, Kuni-sama?"
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer
Glory: 46 ❖ Honor: 30 ❖ Status: 35
Carries: fine clothing, deep burgundy full face mask with gold trim, dark steel daisho with burgundy wrappings
“Right isn’t always right.”

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:41 am

Kitsuki Edogawa wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:54 pm
Edogawa sat quietly, watching the play, paying attention to little else.
The Sparrow again seems pensive for a while after the lights go brighter again, although this time he's got a grin on his lips while he thinks. Finally looking around after some minutes, he sees many already engaged in vivacious conversations about the play (or maybe something else!), and the Dragon also by himself and approaches him.

"Dragon-san", he says bowing respectfully, with a soft smile. "Suzume Senseki, pleased to meet you. What did you think of today's play?"
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:57 am

Kitsuki Edogawa wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:54 pm
Edogawa sat quietly, watching the play, paying attention to little else.
The Sparrow again seems pensive for a while after the lights go brighter again, although this time he's got a grin on his lips while he thinks. Finally looking around after some minutes, he sees many already engaged in vivacious conversations about the play (or maybe something else!), and the Dragon also by himself and approaches him.

"Dragon-san", he says bowing respectfully, with a soft smile. "Suzume Senseki, pleased to meet you. What did you think of today's play?"
[/quote]

"Kitsuki Edogawa." he returned the bow. "It was enjoyable, but I could not keep myself from considering how I might have handled the situation, which would likely not have been as entertaining. What did you think of it?"
Dragon Clan 🐉 Investigator 🐉 Courtier 🐉 Bushi 🐉 Gamer 🐉 Curious 🐉 Softhearted 🐉 Observant 🐉 Wise 🐉 Doom Whispered
Honor: 54 | Glory: 51 | Status: 30

Carries: Ceremonial Clothes, Wakizashi, Knife, Yo-Yo, Journal

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:41 am

Bayushi Mitsu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:03 pm
"I don't run across that style often, but even so, the seats in the back are almost always open. And from here, you can watch all of the performance," he informed, waving a hand to encompass the entire hall, "not just what's on stage."
Bayushi shook his head as the performance concluded. "How unfortunate that not a single one of these samurai intuited the obvious influence behind the main character's behavior. None of them investigated where she had been earlier that day either! Had I been there, the story would have ended not only with the salvation of Kaiu Haruko but also the apprehension of the ill-intentioned acupuncturist!"
<snip rolls>
Bayushi sighed. "Ah, well. It was entertaining enough and not without humor. What did you think, Kuni-sama?"
Yasu glances across the theater, nodding at the truth that it is indeed a decent way to view the rest of the audience, having only a few minutes to appreciate the fact before the play begins.

She really doesn't laugh at all through this one. The afflicted woman's misadventures are disturbing and troubling, the blindness of those around her...well, it certainly felt familiar to many family stories of interactions in the rest of the Empire. "No witch hunter would be that sloppy," She grumbled. "You always backtrack their contacts! The afflicted, the corrupted...they could have spread those things to anyone they came into contact with! It just feels irresponsible to present them...and the Inquisitors frankly...as so blind and bumbling. Hard enough to get anyone to take those dangers seriously..it's..." She draws herself up a bit straighter, lips pressed suddenly closed, as she breathes deeply for a bit of calm.

"Sorry, Bayushi-sama...just...I need to learn who wrote this junk so they're never welcomed in Crab lands until they apologize and burn every copy."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:19 am

Kitsu Murato wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm
He smiles at her reaction, apparently pleased. "I couldn't agree more. Romance should always be a journey that promises to reveal new beauty, captivate, and bring joy. Those things don't come to those that put in no effort. Reaching a destination too quickly is boring, and you strike me as someone that knows how to enjoy life."
"Hmm, a journey, ne? Well, it certainly sounds like you know what you're talking about," Aimi says with a nod, before gesturing towards the door, "Shall we journey together, then, Kitsu-san? A pleasant stroll in the evening breeze, just to round off an enjoyable night at the theater."
Clan: Ronin Shugenja
Honour: 36 (Honour is the Ideal)
Glory: 36 (Samurai of no renown)

Carries a walking stick made from impossibly ancient wood, and a beautifully decorated amulet marked with prayers to Benten hangs from her Obi.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:30 am

Aimi wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:19 am
"Hmm, a journey, ne? Well, it certainly sounds like you know what you're talking about," Aimi says with a nod, before gesturing towards the door, "Shall we journey together, then, Kitsu-san? A pleasant stroll in the evening breeze, just to round off an enjoyable night at the theater."
"I don't know if I know what I'm talking about," he said as he rose, chuckling. "But I certainly think I do. It's not necessarily so."

"But it's a shame that we have this cloud cover. I'll just have to imagine you by moonlight until we get a clear night sky to walk beneath."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:52 pm
Kakita Sakura wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:12 pm
"In truth, I feel everyone was portrayed..."

Sakura hums. "Kaiu Haruko aside, all the characters felt more like representatives of their Clans rather than characters in their own right. Personally, I prefer it when characters in plays and pillow-books alike are portrayed as... more than simply the common perception of their heritage."

She smiles slightly. "The Miya was the one other character who avoided that, I feel."
He nods, confessing in agreement, "I didn't want to... eto... talk down the play. But, I do feel like pillowbook characters, and those stories themselves, kind of lack excitement, and... epicness."
“Mmmm, it’s not quite that for me- it is that they lack *depth.*”
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Bayushi Mitsu

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:50 pm

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:41 am
She really doesn't laugh at all through this one. The afflicted woman's misadventures are disturbing and troubling, the blindness of those around her...well, it certainly felt familiar to many family stories of interactions in the rest of the Empire. "No witch hunter would be that sloppy," She grumbled. "You always backtrack their contacts! The afflicted, the corrupted...they could have spread those things to anyone they came into contact with! It just feels irresponsible to present them...and the Inquisitors frankly...as so blind and bumbling. Hard enough to get anyone to take those dangers seriously..it's..." She draws herself up a bit straighter, lips pressed suddenly closed, as she breathes deeply for a bit of calm.

"Sorry, Bayushi-sama...just...I need to learn who wrote this junk so they're never welcomed in Crab lands until they apologize and burn every copy."
"No apologies necessary." The Scorpion gestured as if letting something drift away on the breeze.

"It is quite frustrating to witness such a depiction of incompetence, I imagine, and then have it presented in a manner that only reinforces the ill-informed notions others often hold." He shook his head slowly. "There are few enough who appreciate the dangers of the supernatural or the role of the Kuni in particular of protecting the rest of us from those dangers. I fear such things are too far removed from the capital to be able to capture the attention necessary, as you imply."

Bayushi tapped his chin thoughtfully. "In any event, I'm certain the author can easily be located, if you wish."
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer
Glory: 46 ❖ Honor: 30 ❖ Status: 35
Carries: fine clothing, deep burgundy full face mask with gold trim, dark steel daisho with burgundy wrappings
“Right isn’t always right.”

Yasuki Jin

Post by Yasuki Jin » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:09 pm

Usogawa Narumi wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:41 pm

Unbeknownst to either of them, Narumi was in complete agreement with the blindfolded Crane.

Also, the play seems to have struck a still-raw nerve, considering the discussion the otter had had with Yasu the morning before, about curses and those who may or may not be afflicted, and how that might play out.

Narumi settled her On into a passive smile she usually wore-- one drilled into being by her demanding aunt, instead of the glare or frown she'd rather be wearing, given the dark and cynical thoughts rolling around inside her head.
While there were many dour discussions on the implications of the play, and a Very Serious Kuni talking about how bad it was...there was one Crab in the audience who (fueled by a bit more sake that was probably wise) was laughing. As point of fact, he had laughed through pretty much the entire play.

With it concluded, he leaned over to his good friend in the Otter.

"Sooooo....who wins it, Usogawa-san? Biggest idiot of the night? Surely you have a favorite." he said with a grin.
Crab Clan * Courtier* Miai Candidate

"Sake is the king of a thousand medicines!"

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:16 pm

Kitsuki Hajime wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Hajime was a little perplexed by the ending.

"Interesting play
coming to a natural end--
Surprise proposal!

Not that it necessarily came entirely out of nowhere, but I found the Miya's choice indicative of his continuing to fail to completely understand what had happened to Haruko. I hope she doesn't accept." Hajime frowned. "Of course, there are worse fates than a husband who is kind but unable to see one's own perspective."
"Yeah the proposal was a little odd for sure and I have a feeling that the inquisitors would be able to figure out the mystery faster than that. Play made them seem a little incompetent. But you're right someone can do worse than a well intentioned husband even if they aren't the sharpest katana on the rack." He agreed nodding.

"So are you some kind of poet or you just like doing that for fun?"
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.