(D1, ME) Everyone wants to be a Sailor (Play)

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Saibankan

(D1, ME) Everyone wants to be a Sailor (Play)

Post by Saibankan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:56 am

With a cloudy but rainless night, the theater doors are opened to the miai attendees who wish to spend some time enjoying the play.

(Play description will go up Aug 2. Feel free to chit chat beforehand, and if you enter the thread after the description, it can still be assumed that your character was there from the start).
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind

Matsu Ishioka

Re: (D1, ME) Everyone wants to be a Sailor (Play)

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 am

Standing outside the theater was a Lion samurai in a respectable yellow kimono, seeming to stare at the play bill for this theater in the upcoming days. He had spent a time already engaged in some kind of test of wills against the signage, but there didn't seem any clues to what might break the spell that had snared Ishioka.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:10 am

As he stares at the sign, two pairs of quiet footsteps sound behind him, and after a few moments, a gentle voice speaks up. “Good evening, Matsu-san. Have you had rice today?”

As he looks to the source of the sound, there is merely Sakura standing there, a pleasant smile on her face- and next to her a peasant, guiding the blindfolded Crane.
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 am

Plays are an uncommon treat in Yasu's little corner of the Wastes, so she's planning to catch as many as she can while here. Her footsteps are not loud, but someone of her stature and connection to the earth is hardly able to be silent.

After a glance at the play advertisement she offers short bows to the assembled samurai. "Matsu-san! I hadn't expected to see you here. New assignment ahead then? And greetings to you, Crane-sama, planning to attend the play? Something about sailing, it seems."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 am

“I am, yes. It will be interesting to experience the play… hmm. From the title, one might guess that the Mantis are the primary subject of the play, but in truth I have little idea. Kyuden Shika is known for the more…”

Sakura hums. “Experimental nature of its plays, so in truth I have deliberately discarded expectations, Crab-san.”
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:44 am

What in the name of fuckery am i doing here?

Raizo hadn't seen a play since before his gempukku. He mostly remembered fidgeting and being told to sit still and shut up, and he had a feeling that this would be much the same.

But... it seemed like the thing to do, under the circumstances.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:46 am

"Mantis. Maybe Otter if they're being experimental. Wonder if they'll do a draw lot play?" That would be extra interesting. Yasu offers an introduction. "Kuni Yasu, apprentice to Kuni Mari and participant in the miai, as I'd guess pretty much everyone else here is."

She smiles broadly, the bright red of her lips a striking contrast to the stark white of her mask of paint, an effect that's utterly lost on a blind Crane. "Discarding expectations is a great way to avoid having expectations color what you see. An early lesson for research."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:55 am

Kuni Yasu wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:46 am
"Mantis. Maybe Otter if they're being experimental. Wonder if they'll do a draw lot play?" That would be extra interesting. Yasu offers an introduction. "Kuni Yasu, apprentice to Kuni Mari and participant in the miai, as I'd guess pretty much everyone else here is."

She smiles broadly, the bright red of her lips a striking contrast to the stark white of her mask of paint, an effect that's utterly lost on a blind Crane. "Discarding expectations is a great way to avoid having expectations color what you see. An early lesson for research."
"Kakita Sakura, student to the Kakita Duelling Academy. Likewise, and I suspect you are correct, Kuni-san."

Sakura's smile is more subtle than Yasu's, gentler- but still, there's a touch of sincerity and warmth to it. "Indeed, and a lesson valuable to more than simply research."

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:55 am

There's a surprising lack of prostitutes here. The thought comes unbidden to Yoshi's mind. I probably shouldn't say that out loud. Of course they don't, this is a respectable one. I think.

In spite of his trips to Otosan Uchi, the most experience that Yoshi had with theater was the kind that operated in Slow Tide Harbor. The gaijin had their own ideas about what theater would be, and how it was best to be enjoyed. Some of the *ahem* "side hustles" would be messy by proper samurai standards, but there was no doubt that it made for a livelier crowd than this.

(PM or quote if approaching)
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:39 pm

The little Otter wasn't going to miss a play. Otters love plays!

She made her way to the theater, entering and giving a smile and bow to those she passed. She had paused though, not sure where she should go.
Otter Clan * Kuge * Heir * Courtier * Dancer * Musician * Very Pretty(Dangerous Allure) * Clumsy * Profile
Courtship points: ?
Equipment: Fan, pretty clothes, makeup/perfume, pillowbooks (sometimes), Tea set (sometimes), Flute (sometimes), odd looking stringed instrument (sometimes)