(D0, EA) Just Passing By

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Bayushi Minae

Re: (D0, EA) Just Passing By

Post by Bayushi Minae » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm
He blinks at the snap and nods, issuing a sounded, "Hai!"

"Questions." He nods again, searching deep in his mind the best course of action. He reminds of his older brother telling him how he managed to swoop the hearts of several ladies during a previous Imperial Winter Court, but can't quite remember the instructions. Nonetheless, he tries...

"B-besides being so... eto... pretty. What does Bayushi-san do?"
A small bow to honor the Seppun's compliment.

"Ah, Seppun-sama is as charming as he is observant. It is true, I have more to recommend myself than my good looks. My current assignment is Ryoko Owari Toshi, second largest city in the Empire." she offered.

This was, of course, a polite socially acceptable fiction. Ryoko Owari Toshi's population was higher than the capital, but no one would point THAT out.

"I serve in the Lightning Squad underneath Shosuro Jocho, the governor's son. If you are not familiar with the organization of Ryoko Owari Toshi's forces, the Lightning Squad are the new elite cavalry unit founded by Shosuro Jocho, meant to respond to emergencies in the city rapidly"

There was a certain pride in her voice in being a member of an elite squad at a young age.

"Perhaps Seppun-sama would care to tell me more about what the duties of governor of Chisei entail? I'm curious as to how you spend your days." she asked.
Scorpion Clan *Duelist * Miai Candidate

"Oh my, however did that get there?"

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm

A pang of jealousy hits a cord within the boy's heart. Not sure if he loves or hates the fact that she's something he would like to become, his On returns to defensive mode. He says "Duties."

He then says, "Several duties await for one in my position. I unfortunately, cannot share details."

So far, only one has been clearly voiced out: get married.
Imperial • Bushi • Kuge • Governor • Blessed • Dangerous • Precocious
Honor: Honor Is the Ideal • Status: Chisei District Governor • Glory: Reputable Samurai
DescriptionTheme

Wears: Iron Sheath, Daisho, (No Knife from D13 on)
Outdoor Gear: Lacquered armor, Naginata, Traveling Pack
Indoor Gear: Sanctified robes

Bayushi Minae

Post by Bayushi Minae » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:26 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm
A pang of jealousy hits a cord within the boy's heart. Not sure if he loves or hates the fact that she's something he would like to become, his On returns to defensive mode. He says "Duties."

He then says, "Several duties await for one in my position. I unfortunately, cannot share details."

So far, only one has been clearly voiced out: get married.
Minae taps her chin with the closed fan.

"An understandable, if unfortunate answer, Seppun-sama. One can appreciate the need for secrecy given Seppun-sama's station but it does increase the difficulty of evaluating whether one is or is not a good fit for such a household."

She considered it a moment.

"Perhaps Seppun-sama could share his thoughts on how best to accomplish those duties, even if he cannot give voice to the nature of the duties? Beyond a strict adherence to bushido that is."

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:23 pm

He closes his eyes in thought, and rubs his chin. "Soka."

It takes a moment, but he gets there, "Bushido would require that a Governor of Chisei, traditionally, to be the link that brings the Clans into harmony within Otosan Uchi –– and the Empire as a whole. A beacon to the understanding of law enforcement and diplomacy between Clans. A friend to the Dragon, Crane and Minor Clans."

He did rehearse it.
Honor: Honor Is the Ideal • Status: Chisei District Governor • Glory: Reputable Samurai
DescriptionTheme

Bayushi Minae

Post by Bayushi Minae » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:23 pm
He closes his eyes in thought, and rubs his chin. "Soka."

It takes a moment, but he gets there, "Bushido would require that a Governor of Chisei, traditionally, to be the link that brings the Clans into harmony within Otosan Uchi –– and the Empire as a whole. A beacon to the understanding of law enforcement and diplomacy between Clans. A friend to the Dragon, Crane and Minor Clans."

He did rehearse it.
Minae considered that point.

"I see. Balance is a fairly key aspect of every samurai's life. The principles of bushido, duty to own's family and duty to the Empire, and much much more." she said thinking about the inevitable yin and yang.

"If you'll forgive a follow-up question, Seppun-sama. You mentioned law enforcement. I'm sure that Seppun-sama has heard the phrase 'Law and Order'. Which does Seppun-sama consider more important: Law or Order?"

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Bayushi Minae wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm
-snip-
"Isn't balance the key factor here as well. How can we can have order without law, what is the value of a law that does not bring order?"

He shrugs, and provides a bit of gained insight back to Minae, "My brother always said that the tachi and the saya are meant to be always together. Two completely different purposes, but one without the other can be rather dangerous."
DescriptionTheme

Bayushi Minae

Post by Bayushi Minae » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Minae nodded.

"An apt metaphor, Seppun-sama, but if you will indulge me for a moment for the purposes of conversation, I would examine your point in a bit more detail." she offers. "You have essentially said that a Law's value is derived from the order is brings, which I agree with. One could write a law saying that everyone must like the color red....but it brings no order. However, can their truly be no order without law? Growing up, my parents gave me commands and I obeyed them. There was no posting of laws as to when I must be asleep, nor magistrates enforcing how many sweets I could have. Thus I would argue that Order is superior to Law, because Law's value comes from order, but the reverse is not true."

She smiled a bit.

"Merely for the purposes of intellectual conversation mind." she added, just to be clear this particular discussion was just for funsies.

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:51 pm

He almost grins to match her charming smile. Training, though, halts him to do so.

"I see where Bayushi-san is heading. Yet, when one lives within the Imperial Palace: every order is law. Written, verbal or even in perceived intent." The Seppun says, painting a different reality to the philosophical conversation.
DescriptionTheme

Bayushi Minae

Post by Bayushi Minae » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Seppun Yuzu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:51 pm
He almost grins to match her charming smile. Training, though, halts him to do so.

"I see where Bayushi-san is heading. Yet, when one lives within the Imperial Palace: every order is law. Written, verbal or even in perceived intent." The Seppun says, painting a different reality to the philosophical conversation.
Minae nodded, satisfied with the Seppun's thinking.

"Ah, I must concede you that point Seppun-sama, for what is a law but merely the authority of someone in a position of power codified into the written word? However, if we continue that though, then we see a second problem: laws may conflict with one another, while order does not conflict with itself. If a guard sees an intruder on the opposite site of a cherished flower bed, they will trod through the flower bed rather than give the intruder more time to escape. One law is upheld, one is broken, but order is maintained." she offers.

Seppun Yuzu

Post by Seppun Yuzu » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 am

He bites his lips at that one. But the answer comes to surface, "One should use an arrow, instead."

Did he laugh?

No, he did not.

Yuzu adds up, "Laws, as the Celestial Order, have hierarchies. The word of the Child of Heavens absolute above all. A garden may have rules to forbid others to step on it, but breaking into someone's home shows a much graver offense than crushed flowers. Thus, the guard in question may act intelligently and shoot an arrow, or ask forgiveness to his lord for after disrespect the garden. I believe the penalty of stepping in flowers is far lesser than that of trespassing. Also, when on duty, the guard might receive his lord's Compassion. After all, as Bayushi-san just said, it is merely the authority of someone in a position of power."
DescriptionTheme