(D3, ME) Ex-Hida by Yasuki Seiryo

Here some of the Empire's most daring plays are performed
Agasha Inoshishi

Re: (D3, ME) Ex-Hida by Yasuki Seiryo

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:31 pm
"I suppose the obvious question is 'What's your take on the play?'" Nesshin says. "But there are other questions, if you'd prefer to get away from the obvious."
“Ask away! I love discussing the details of a story. To answer the quick, obvious question, I enjoyed the play. Of course, it would have to be quite a poor story to not have my full attention!”

She smiles, content to let the Deer direct the flow of conversation.
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:43 pm

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:38 pm
“Ask away! I love discussing the details of a story. To answer the quick, obvious question, I enjoyed the play. Of course, it would have to be quite a poor story to not have my full attention!”

She smiles, content to let the Deer direct the flow of conversation.
"You mention details," Nesshin notes. "What stood out to you, and why?" he asks. "And how does it compare to last night's, if you saw that one?"
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:43 pm

"You mention details," Nesshin notes. "What stood out to you, and why?" he asks. "And how does it compare to last night's, if you saw that one?"
“I enjoyed the refined woman from the city learning more of life from some of the toughest lands in the empire. It’s too true that many never realize the full value of what all the clans do. In some ways, it reminded me of when I Went Down From The Mountain,” the capitals ring through her emphasis, “and discovered that the world was different than the serene monks I was used to. I missed last night’s play, unfortunately. I got distracted and didn’t realize where the time had gone! And now for you, Shika-san, what is your response to your question?”

Though her words still flow freely, there is a seriousness to her that is often lacking at other times. The art of the story clearly matters to her.
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:51 pm
“I enjoyed the refined woman from the city learning more of life from some of the toughest lands in the empire. It’s too true that many never realize the full value of what all the clans do. In some ways, it reminded me of when I Went Down From The Mountain,” the capitals ring through her emphasis, “and discovered that the world was different than the serene monks I was used to. I missed last night’s play, unfortunately. I got distracted and didn’t realize where the time had gone! And now for you, Shika-san, what is your response to your question?”

Though her words still flow freely, there is a seriousness to her that is often lacking at other times. The art of the story clearly matters to her.
"I share your regard for the protagonist learning from those outside the rarefied urban," Nesshin replies. "But though this production did not fall into the trap, I worry that other treatments might fetishize the more rural or romanticize the more militant. There are so many better targets for fetish and romance," and Nesshin grins, winks, "but reducing to caricatures in service to the already-privileged 'learning' does a disservice to those depicted.

"I mean, tropes are useful tools, and a play only has so long to make its message, but handling any tool poorly does harm."
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:05 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am
Raizo gave another one of his grins.

"Just keep standing next to me, Soyokaze-san, you'll look better by comparison. And your good manners will shine out by comparison as well. Anyone in particular you have an eye on? I know I asked before, but, well, a lot can happen in a day..."
"Well there are many I find attractive, the Moto woman with dark makeup, the Otter over there with Matsu Ishioka-sama, the Moshi is especially lovely; but I have never spoken to any of them. In all honesty the only woman I have spoken to at all is Oubaihime-sama, who honestly is such a lovely and peaceful person that if someone better than I hasn't started wooing her then your all fools as she is certain to make a great a home." Soyokaze thinks a moment to make sure he hasn't forgotten anyone. "Well I've also met Kaikoga Fujiko-sama but she seems to be convinced that Matsu Ishioka-sama are in love."
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:10 am

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:00 pm

"I share your regard for the protagonist learning from those outside the rarefied urban," Nesshin replies. "But though this production did not fall into the trap, I worry that other treatments might fetishize the more rural or romanticize the more militant. There are so many better targets for fetish and romance," and Nesshin grins, winks, "but reducing to caricatures in service to the already-privileged 'learning' does a disservice to those depicted.

"I mean, tropes are useful tools, and a play only has so long to make its message, but handling any tool poorly does harm."
Inoshishi blushes at the double entendre, then nods fervently. “Yes! One of my sensei’s teachings was that it is always easy to romanticize a lifestyle one has not lived. We consider this carefully when analyzing stories of the past for clues to the future. Of course, some of the caricatures of the past and present tell us more about the opinions and beliefs of the writers than of their subject!”

She cocks her head slightly. “It’s rare to find another with scholarly interest in stories! I’m quite pleased to have found someone like that!”

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 am

Asahina Soyokaze wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:05 am
"Well there are many I find attractive, the Moto woman with dark makeup, the Otter over there with Matsu Ishioka-sama, the Moshi is especially lovely; but I have never spoken to any of them. In all honesty the only woman I have spoken to at all is Oubaihime-sama, who honestly is such a lovely and peaceful person that if someone better than I hasn't started wooing her then your all fools as she is certain to make a great a home." Soyokaze thinks a moment to make sure he hasn't forgotten anyone. "Well I've also met Kaikoga Fujiko-sama but she seems to be convinced that Matsu Ishioka-sama are in love."
Aha, a man of taste and discernment... well. Apart from the insane Moshi

"Well, I've found Moto-san to be very engaging, and Usogawa-san is a fine woman. As for Kaito Oubaihime-san, were she not something like what I imagine a sister to be..."

He trailed off.

"I think, Soyokaze-san, that you may be uniquely suited to catching her attention."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:51 am

Kaikoga Fujiko wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:36 pm
Fujiko looked down.

"I believe the less is said about today's test, the better it is." She let out a long sigh. "Hopefully tomorrow will go better."
"Oh...well, kemari isn't for everyone, there's a man in my unit who can only keep things going if he's drunk, otherwise he lacks the coordination. Erm..." he looked to the side. "Not that I'm suggesting that, but...well, some other people have it rough too. I hope things go better tomorrow."
Shosuro Hikimasu
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Soldier • Dead Fish Eyes • Friend of Yūdaina

Honor: 41 Status: 35 Glory: 44
Carries: clothing, daisho, fan, mempo. Has ashigaru armor, daikyu and magnificent steed for battle.
Description
"Fulfillment is just another form of arrogance."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:01 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 am
"I think, Soyokaze-san, that you may be uniquely suited to catching her attention."
"I am growing quite fond of Oubaihima-sama, we have spoken quite a bit and I am certain I could be very happy with her. I worry though, neither of us talk very much. I came from a home like that, it isn't ideal. I have asked every question I can think of but other than her devotion to her shrine I have not been able to puzzle out her interests, unless I am just obtuse, and that's just me taking an interest in her as a person not a lover. I would like to make her something but she lives such a simple life I can't figure out what she needs or would like. I considered a comb but that is usually made of wood not metal and I don't want to imply that her appearance is lacking."

Soyokaze took a breath, he was getting caught up in his emotions.

"But as I said, there is no way she has gone unnoticed by the other, more desirable Miai participants, someone like Seppun Yuzu-sama who seems to be having a great Miai. But even if I did wish to marry Oubaihime, if what you said about our being here is true is it not my duty to keep searching? Does Duty not trump Love, whatever the hell that is?" Soyokaze's frustration grows. "Do we even owe our clans in this? Half of us will be joining other clans who we will be duty-bound to, should our happiness have no bearing?"

He was arguing with himself now and he was at risk of making a scene.
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:41 am

Asahina Soyokaze wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:01 am
"They're coming out of the walls!"
Raizo sighed.

"Soyokaze-san. As I also said, everyone here is deemed an acceptable match by someone. That most definitely and emphatically includes you. And if you're fond of Kaito-san, you owe it to her, and to yourself, to let her know that it's a possibility you entertain."

He turned to stare at the Crane, his expression a curious mixture of stony and intense. His soldiers would have recognized it.

"So to begin with, don't think of anyone else here as naturally your superior when it comes to who can make a good husband for my clanmate. Especially since your instincts have not led you far astray on the subject of her insecurities."

He held his hand out, palm up- and then clenched it into a fist.

"She already thinks her appearance is lacking. She thinks herself plain. A little dun-colored fieldmouse. Fashion something to accentuate what you already appreciate about her and explain it when you give it to her."

A pause. He unclenched his fist.

"Even if you remain nothing more than friends, you will have done a kindness for someone whose whole life has been doing kindnesses for others. And you will have gotten practice in presenting yourself to someone you might want... more from. And she will never judge you harshly, Soyokaze-san."

Another sigh.

"My own... friend... is almost certainly being courted by others. I suspect a great deal of that is going on. And while I would hardly advise you to focus your attentions solely on Kaito-san, I would also never, ever suggest you don't at least let her know how you feel."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe