A Sparrow in the garden (D5 MA, Open)

Walking paths thread their way through flower and tree
Suzume Senseki

A Sparrow in the garden (D5 MA, Open)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:00 pm

The gardens are beautiful, as they're famed to be, Senseki thought with a serene smile. But the Cedar trees, they were the true beauties! After some time strolling through, he stopped circled by all three trees and kept looking up at the large trees, as if somehow trying to climb them in his mind. Imagining what it would look like from up there, maybe.

He observes some others walking around around here and there with a grin... but for now, the trees and the plants seem to take more of his interest. Speaking of plants... that was a good question, which plants did they grow here?...
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Otomo Akimoro

Re: A Sparrow in the garden (D5 MA, Open)

Post by Otomo Akimoro » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:28 pm

"Less refined and stylized than one might find in the grander cultural centers of the Empire," comes a voice from a side path, "but not without merit. There is something to be said for letting nature set the structure and tone, then building upon its framework."

The newly-arrived Imperial emerges and offers a polite bow to the Sparrow.

"Otomo Akimoro, at your service. I'm a late arrival, having been delayed by matters of state."
Imperial • Courtier
Glory: 43, Honor: 20, Status: 50
Wears a chrysanthemum-shaped charm on his katana's scabbard. Sly, smirking jackass.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:25 am

Otomo Akimoro wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:28 pm
"Less refined and stylized than one might find in the grander cultural centers of the Empire," comes a voice from a side path, "but not without merit. There is something to be said for letting nature set the structure and tone, then building upon its framework."

The newly-arrived Imperial emerges and offers a polite bow to the Sparrow.

"Otomo Akimoro, at your service. I'm a late arrival, having been delayed by matters of state."
"Hm?", the Suzume mutters to himself, turning towards the voice. "Ah", he exclaims then and, noticing the Imperial mon, bends into a low bow. "This one is Suzume Senseki, Otomo-sama", he says with a low, composed voice. A perhaps awkwardly long time goes by before he raises himself slightly to speak again. The Otomo probably noticed this one was certainly not used to speaking to someone like him.

"Ah... I... can't say I know these grand centres, Otomo-sama", he says apologetically, his head still low. "I... did greatly enjoy the weaving of natural and built here, though", he says with a coy smile, although maybe it's not visible to the Otomo as the Sparrow's head is still bent. "The combination is quite beautiful... I was just studying the plants they used in the man-built part."

Another moment of silence, and he raises his head a bit more. "Is Otomo-sama an admirer of gardening, then?", he asks with a friendly, slightly more confident voice.
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Otomo Akimoro

Post by Otomo Akimoro » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:57 am

"An admirer, yes," Akimoro confirms, "but little more than that, I'm afraid. I've often found myself wandering in formal gardens - indeed, I've found that an incredible amount of political work occurs within them - so I've picked up a taste for the various arrangements and displays. Little practical knowledge, though."
Imperial • Courtier
Wears a chrysanthemum-shaped charm on his katana's scabbard. Sly, smirking jackass.

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:47 am

Otomo Akimoro wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:57 am
"An admirer, yes," Akimoro confirms, "but little more than that, I'm afraid. I've often found myself wandering in formal gardens - indeed, I've found that an incredible amount of political work occurs within them - so I've picked up a taste for the various arrangements and displays. Little practical knowledge, though."
Standing upright now, but with his head still lowered and looking at the ground, the Sparrow smiles again. "Ah... that would make us opposites of sorts, then. The little experience I have is more on the practical side."

A long, possibly somewhat awkward silence, as the Sparrow takes a few steps, looking at the Cedar trees' roots. "I... assume Otomo-sama is coming from the capital, then?"

Otomo Akimoro

Post by Otomo Akimoro » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:07 am

"I maintain a home there, but I've little time to visit it," replies the Otomo. "Most recently I've been in Toshi no Meiyo Gisei, representing the Throne's interests in the ongoing diplomatic efforts between the Lion and the Unicorn. That's the reason I've arrived so late, in fact, as it took some time to extract myself from those proceedings.

"You, I suppose, call Kyuden Suzume home? I've visited many courts, but my duties have not seen me to that one yet..."
Imperial • Courtier

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Otomo Akimoro wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:07 am
"I maintain a home there, but I've little time to visit it," replies the Otomo. "Most recently I've been in Toshi no Meiyo Gisei, representing the Throne's interests in the ongoing diplomatic efforts between the Lion and the Unicorn. That's the reason I've arrived so late, in fact, as it took some time to extract myself from those proceedings.

"You, I suppose, call Kyuden Suzume home? I've visited many courts, but my duties have not seen me to that one yet..."
"Ah, I understand", he said, somewhat plainly. His face seemed to indicate he was trying to remember the specific place.. although a somewhat troubled frown suggested he understood it had something to do with the war that loomed on the horizon. "I... assume... Otomo-sama is helping in peace negotiations, then?"

His voice seemed to tremble, if only slightly, but soon it was steady again.

"Oh, I've done part of my training in Kyuden Suzume and visit it now and then, but my duties are mainly close to my family's homeland, near the border of the Golden Sun Plains in the northern Sparrow lands. A small village aptly named Sanbuku Mura, or 'Hillside Village'. It's a simple settlement, but a nice one... on the foot of the Suzume Hills, near wild lands." Another bow and a slightly awkward smile. "I suppose it's not a place Otomo-sama's would be very interested in, though, ne?"

OOC:
If we're going into the topic of war, I may be taking 3 strife here :lol:

Otomo Akimoro

Post by Otomo Akimoro » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:26 am

"'Helping' might be putting it a bit strongly," Akimoro says with a sigh. "In order to actually assist in negotiations, there would have to be two parties willing to compromise on a single solution, and therein lies the problem... It's not going to be easy going, but I'm forcing myself to remain optimistic."

Hearing Senseki talk of his home village, the Otomo says, "I'm beginning to realize that we need to attend as much to the smaller, wilder settlements as we do the grand urban sprawls. No matter where one hails from, they are of the Emerald Empire, and as such are worthy of consideration."
Imperial • Courtier

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Otomo Akimoro wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:26 am
"'Helping' might be putting it a bit strongly," Akimoro says with a sigh. "In order to actually assist in negotiations, there would have to be two parties willing to compromise on a single solution, and therein lies the problem... It's not going to be easy going, but I'm forcing myself to remain optimistic."

Hearing Senseki talk of his home village, the Otomo says, "I'm beginning to realize that we need to attend as much to the smaller, wilder settlements as we do the grand urban sprawls. No matter where one hails from, they are of the Emerald Empire, and as such are worthy of consideration."
Head still low, the Suzume nods with a serene, content smile. "Those are kind words, Otomo-sama. We do our best to serve the empire as we can." Then, still looking away, now towards the cedar trees again, with a hint of worry and pain in his voice. "So it is that bad, then?... I can't claim to know much about the situation in the Lion and Unicorn lands, of course, but even as far away as we are we hear some things. I was hoping what we had heard was more pessimism than facts..."

Otomo Akimoro

Post by Otomo Akimoro » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:02 am

Akimoro shrugs.

"No worse than a dozen other clashes since the return of the Unicorn," opines the Otomo, "and likely just as easily solved once the bravado and posturing is settled and cooler heads can step in. Mind you, the current proposal of effectively merging the Shinjo and Ikoma families is a bit...unusual, but I'm sure in the end we'll find a more reasonable approach. That's part of why I'm here, in fact - not just seeking personal partnership, but learning what I can of the Deer clan's techniques of smoothing over the roughest situations. Perhaps something of their style might be what the negotiations need."
Imperial • Courtier