[D5, EA, expecting] Just a modest stroll

Walking paths thread their way through flower and tree
Matsu Ishioka

Re: [D5, EA, expecting] Just a modest stroll

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:15 am

"Narumi-san," he says in a sweet whisper, as though it's the most delicate flower he's ever seen and, at the same time, a magic spell he's afraid he'll lose control of. In Ishioka's mind, just then, both feel true.

He took a breath to bring him back to her question, feeling the weight of her worry in this moment.

"I think, Narumi-san, it is impossible to know the minds of my parents. I do not say this lightly, or to avoid answering your question plainly." The man takes a breath, and he successfully fights a frown from coming to his face. "Do you... Do you remember, when I told you about Hachiko? I think I said she was their pride and joy, and I meant it. So much so, that my parents had rarely had much interest in me," he says, voice a little distant. "Hachiko was the spectacularly talented girl, finally going to join the Lion's Pride like our family has hoped a daughter would do for generations. She was the hope and the dream, and everyone knew it." His voice had turned grittier, less distant but more bitter, but when he switches to talking about Hachiko in the past tense, that baggage falls away.

"After Hachiko died, my parents..." He looks like a man who's seen something he can't understand but is still trying to explain. "It was like she'd never been there. They wanted to know how I was, to keep my spirits up, to encourage me to get married when they'd never spoken of it before. And, I realized, it was because I'm now the hope. If there's a future Lions Pride member coming, it'll be from me and my future wife. So, will they judge me and whoever that wife may be? I am sure. But, if she might be the mother of the first Lion's Pride member in my family's history, how harshly can they judge her?"

Ishioka doesn't seem satisfied with this answer, and he looks at Narumi with a certain sadness on his face, knowing it's all he can say.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:38 am

Without realizing what she's done until it's happened, she reaches up to touch the side of Ishi's face, tracing his strong jawline slowly, tenderly.
"Your love for your sister still burns brightly inside you," she observes quietly.
A moment's pause. "I see. But I don't know that I deserve that chance. I don't know that I would meet such a standard. I.." her voice hitches and she squeezes her eyes shut for a deep breath and exhale before she opens them again. "You saw how I struggled with the kemari test. I could barely breathe afterwards, I... It was just a game. Your parents want you to have a wife who can bare their son's children. If I can't even play kemari, what makes childbirth any less dangerous for me? You deserve to have a wife where that isn't a consideration. A wife who'd make your parents proud to call their daughter."
She swallowed a lump in her throat. "I haven't been called daughter in so long, I don't think I remember how to be a good one."
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:07 am

Her touch on his cheek makes him take a heavy breath, eyes closing as his heart skips a beat.

Then, as Narumi speaks, Ishi's breath catches too, seeing that worry on her face. He bites his lip, his eyes flaring with the angry fire for a moment before he closes them and says, with his voice a rock hard edge, "I would sooner have you safe than them happy. And if I have no child that must carry the burden of my parents' expectations, then maybe..." His voice wavers, some more emotion unleashed in just that moment. Quietly, with pain evident, he says "Maybe that is the best blessing that I can give those children." His eyes are forced tightly shut as, head hanging, he forces breaths out to try to compose himself.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:19 am

Shit.
His emotional reaction, so uncharacteristic of the so-called Stone Matsu, coupled with his words and what they meant are enough to break her resolve and Narumi reacts before thinking, dropping the closed umbrella she'd been holding onto, bringing that hand to his face as well and kissing him deeply.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:03 am

Fortunately for both of them, there is enough of the Stone Matsu remaining in force to stand steady as first the surprise at Narumi's move, then the pleasure of it, and finally sinking into that sweet kiss all threaten to collapse them both onto the wet ground.

Ishioka only barely keeps his passion controlled during that kiss, as the energy Narumi has seen blazing in his eyes threatens to escape. But he remains implacable, and only as it b becomes more urgent for them both to breath, does Ishioka finally begin to ease out of the kiss.

"Narumi-san," he says, breathless. "I, ah..." He can't seem to find words, but perhaps the happy fire in his eyes is enough to convey his immediate feelings.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:51 pm

He releases them from the embrace and Narumi too is breathless, her cheeks flushed, a genuine smile to her lips.
He says her name and she swoons. "Your words are pleasant ones, Ishioka-san. And how I wish that your story was our future.
But i also remember how when we met, your heart was taken by another samurai-ko. That's still the case? Just so we're clear. I'm not going to compete for you. I ...want to see where this goes with you, but if you end up somewhere else, then that's how the fates will it."
She takes a deep breath and her hand moves over her chest in an effort to steady her racing heartrate.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm

For a moment, Ishioka feels like the tiny space between them is widening rapidly, and his face flashes confusion. But his cool, analytical mind catches his fiery inner Matsu before any words are said in haste. Not competing, says the Stone to the Matsu, does not mean not wanting, not loving.

Ishioka closes his eyes and breathes deeply. As his eyes open, Narumi again can see warmth and adoration.

"I... The situation hasn't changed," he says quietly. "There is... still so much uncertainty. How much weight do the Deer give to one's heart, the stars... however they interpret the tests..." The Lion sighs. "I like things to be orderly and predictable, or at least to plan for all eventualities, and I can't do that here."
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:41 pm

When he opens his eyes, he says that same warmth and admiration reflected back at him, coupled with a tender smile. She nods slowly at his words, taking time to consider them.
"Hai. We cant know what will happen. Or what the Deer have in store or what they decide is best for us. All we can do is enjoy the time we have together. And... I enjoy our time together greatly."
Conflicting emotions paint themselves across her features. Desire. Reservation. Longing. Thoughtfulness. Confusion.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:27 pm

Ishioka nods. "As do I," he agrees, realizing his heart is still beating aggressively in his chest. He takes a steadying breath, but his eyes get lost in Narumi's as he tries to track the emotions. Emotions that so closely align with his.

Without noticing, his hand rises to touch her cheek. She feels the delicate touch of the backs of his fingers gently grazing her cheek as he wishes he could help her clarify or control those emotions. A slightly firmer touch comes as he lays his hand along the edge of her jaw, trying to impart just a little of the earth that keeps him steady. He smiles gently at her, eyes comforting, projecting a confidence that he hopes is helpful.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:38 pm

She turns her face to his hand, closes her eyes to enjoy the sensation of his skin on hers. When she opens them again, he sees that both desire and reservation have won out.
Before reservation inches ahead and she puts her hand over his that brushes her face. Giving a light squeeze.
"Ishioka-san..." she murmurs, before pressing her lips together in some semblance of trying to find calm.