(D11EA) How far we’ve come (expecting)

Walking paths thread their way through flower and tree
Agasha Inoshishi

Re: (D11EA) How far we’ve come (expecting)

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:16 pm

"I meant her spirit, Ino-chan. I am not quite so simple as you think I am," he says with a wry smile before she continues.
Inoshishi nods at the correction, as she continues her tirade.
Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:16 pm
This perhaps confirms a worry I had. That the problem is me." The voice is the quiet, distant, logical Stone Matsu that so often gets overruled when Inoshishi is around.
She pinches her nose in exasperation.

“Thousand fortunes, give me strength. Why in the blessed heavens would your Water be the problem? Did I not just say it combines with my Fire just fine? Nor is it Narumi-san’s fault. It’s no one’s fault, except whoever hurt her and the murderer of your sister.”

She massages her temple.

“Everyone has their share of problems, beloved. For some, they are pebbles to a stream, skipping across the surface or sinking, never to be remembered. We are that way, I believe. Although I suppose I’ll know more after I finish.

Others…others have boulders that pound from the sky, altering the course and flow so that by the end, neither stream nor stone knows where it began.”

For a moment she looks weary, then her eyes meet the Matsu’s and she smiles warmly.

“Perhaps I should have run and made you chase me. Enough distraction and I wouldn’t be here mediating between my husband and his lover. But, I wouldn’t trade this or you for all the stories in the world.”
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:36 pm

The Matsu returns the warm smile, but she can see his thoughtful eyes revealing that he's thinking about something. He watches her in silence for a while as he thinks, clearly processing an idea that's new to him.

"When I fell in love with you, I thought you needed me to protect you. That you weren't ready for all these low-land ways and would need me. I think maybe you don't need me so much as I need you," he says finally, starting strong and clear but trailing off by the end.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:31 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:36 pm
"When I fell in love with you, I thought you needed me to protect you. That you weren't ready for all these low-land ways and would need me. I think maybe you don't need me so much as I need you," he says finally, starting strong and clear but trailing off by the end.
She laughs, a merry laugh filled with the joy of many small bells. “Of course I need you. I don’t need protection from a knife in the back or bandits, perhaps, but there is plenty I need to be protected from. Large armored men. Hunger. Little lies. Lions.” Her eyes grow more tender as she slides much close on the bench. “Not knowing my true love’s touch. Boredom.” She smiles up at him, far more innocently than their nearly nightly activities would suggest.
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:16 pm

"I'm not sure how good I'll be at those things, but I'll learn," he says, quietly but earnestly. He pauses, smiling at her innocent smile, and leans down to kiss her lightly. After he straightens his neck she can see him twitch slightly, but he explains without missing a beat.

"I am forgetting myself, that we're not in private here," he says, only slightly apologetic because he knows she doesn't mind. "It will be easier when we're home," he says without hesitating, inadvertently revealing he already thinks about that.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:34 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:16 pm
"I'm not sure how good I'll be at those things, but I'll learn," he says, quietly but earnestly. "I am forgetting myself, that we're not in private here," he says, only slightly apologetic because he knows she doesn't mind. "It will be easier when we're home," he says without hesitating, inadvertently revealing he already thinks about that.
She laughs again, happily. She doesn't mind him being his mildly prickly self about matters of honor and slides a little away, make it more proper. She smiles demurely. "Yes, it will be. As far as how good you will be at those things: Large armored men: I doubt there is one larger or bolder than you. Hunger: Who would deny you food? Little Lies: You're more adept in them than I, so I assume that will be fine as well. And Lions? My dear, you are one. As for the other two...leave that to me..."

She looks at him, head tilted.

"You look like you have something else you wish to ask. I will answer, of course."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am

Ishioka gives a small grimace.

"Not ask, actually, but on the topic of Lions..." He scoots closer to her on the bench again, so they can speak especially softly. "You know my family... and I... have struggled since my sister's death. With. The Dragon Clan. And..." His voice registers only a whisper as he says, "However we are matched, I expect to see you, and my family... I don't know how they will respond to you as my future wife, as..." He stops and looks at her chest, knowing the colors beneath what he can see.

"There are many potential reactions, I think," he says. "Yasu-san said that the Dragon sending a daughter to the family who lost one could seem appropriate. I worry, a little, that sending one with the honor of a wife would not... sit well."
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 pm

Inoshishi considers this...lack of statement carefully, keen eyes looking up through cute lashes at the big Matsu.

Finally, she draws her breath carefully. "I certainly do not wish to bring displeasure on your family." She pauses and considers. "I would think the members of the clan engaged in diplomacy would be more interested in maintaining harmonious balance with the clans around them. The Lion...they...remember."

She looks around the garden, gaze landing pointedly at a sunny patch. She continues speaking while staring at the sunny patch, large insects occasionally zipping through on 4 rainbowy wings.

"It is far easier to accept someone as married than to start a war over it. I should imagine your clan isn't interested in adding more violence than they already have. With no movement on restoring their Honor behind Courtliness, and the movement of the herds to the north east of them, I am not so certain they have time to bring the Mountain down upon them as well. So while your personal family may have issue with it, I imagine they will accept what recompense they may get. They are not, after all, Scorpion, and I do not think they will seek blood vengeance on their own, do you?"

She pauses again, trying not to be too direct, but ultimately having no way around it. She makes sure her hands are withdrawn, folded in her lap, clearly stung by his words.

"Besides, the Ikoma family love me. If your parents haven't heard my song, I'm sure it can be arranged. And, ultimately, while I personally bear no animus towards anyone regarding their clan affiliation, plenty of more honor than I do. So while I do not mind if you pass over me in favor of one more inclined to please your family, I would be truly surprised if any minor clan non-bushi leaves them happier than I.

I love you, beloved, and while I am sure the Dragon could find a reason to send me, I am not at all certain it is in your best interest to do so. I will say no more on the subject and have said too much already."

Her faces closes in as she finishes the last part, looking far more grim with no smile. With an effort, she relaxes, a sad smile creeping over her face.

"It sounds as if I would embarrass you. Perhaps that is why you have me come when others are in the theater." Stung, she seeks to sting back, even though she knows she should remain calm.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:14 am

The Lion's eyes widen in horror, realizing not only that he was being foolish but that he'd wounded her without even anticipating the hurt. By the time she finishes, he hangs his head, shamed and silent, even nauseous if that feeling can be heard over the crisis in his mind.

"It..." He stops, uncertain where to start.

"I was..." He gives up on that approach as well.

"I am sorry, Ino-chan," he whispers, sounding haunted. "I... I have been treating you badly and without even..."

It takes him a few moments, but he rallies his senses finally. She can almost see little flinched in Ishioka as pieces fit together in a puzzle he had not been seeing properly. With a shuddering breath, he says, quiet but controlled, "I am not shamed by you. If anything I have shamed you for loving such a foolish man as me."

He shakes his head again. "I have been trying to outsmart the Deer nakodo and it has nearly driven us to madness."
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:51 am

His obvious unhappiness and accidental blunder melt whatever unhappiness was left. She reaches her hand over, resting it gently on his knee, strong fingers pressing into him if he won’t look at her.

“Ishi-kun, I gain honor for loving a good man. There is no madness in this. Nor have you been treating me poorly.” She shrugs her thin shoulders.

“We are who we are and that is enough. If there is any hurt we have given each other, doubtless we earned it in this life or one previous.”

She smiles happily, as if she had never been stung at all.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:59 pm

The man puts one large hand over her small one. He squeezes gently as his eyes stay on their hands for a time. He reaches another hand across, placing hers into this one so they can link their thumbs and press their palms together. Then he squeezes again as he looks for her eyes.

"It is... important for us to be together," he says quietly, but with conviction. "I am learning a lot from you."
Description