[D7,LA](Soyokaze's Forge) High Carbon Content [Expecting]

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Asahina Soyokaze

Re: [D7,LA](Soyokaze's Forge) High Carbon Content [Expecting]

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 am

"My entire upbringing tells me that you are either here to kill me or find some way to shame me, that is the state of relations between our two clans. Yet in my short time here I have learned that a great many of the things I thought were true are not. So if i may, let us ignore the colors we wear and everything that they encompass and let me ask you a question between men. I believe you offer is true but I can't help but wonder if it is made for my benefit or for Murato-san's? I don't really think enough of myself to assume I'm a threat to Murato-san but yet here you are, sitting in the same spot Moshumaru-san sat only a few minutes ago offering to aid me, it seems a bit strange. There is wisdom in your offer, there is no guarantee that the Shika will grant me my wish, logically I should meet as many here as I can so as not to be blindsided, but I find the prospect of doing that right now distasteful. I don't even know how to court one woman who I've been talking to for several days, how in Jigoku am I supposed to do with multiple women I don't know at all. Unless you are because someone you know has expressed an interest in me?"
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:36 pm

The Lion nods in emphatic agreement that things thought to be true are in question. When the Crane finishes, he responds slowly and thoughtfully.

"Asahina-san, you are a thoughtful man, and I believe I am as well. I can tell you honestly that this place has made me question so many things that it is unsettling." He takes a deep breath. "It is always wise to be vigilant, consider the motives of those who wish to 'help' you. For my own part, I will be plain, and you may question me as you wish. I am fond of Kaito Oubaihime-san myself, though not like you and Kitsu Murato-san are. Kaito-san reminds me of my younger sister, now," he stifles a ragged breath, "unfortunately, no longer with us. And she is a most impressive samurai, without question. So as soon as I met Kaito-san, I hoped that she would marry into the Lion after this miai. This was before I knew who might have feelings toward her."

Ishioka takes a long breath. "I am sorry to speak at such length, Asahina-san. It is not my way, but I wish for you to know my mind in this matter. When I met you, you seemed a bit intimidated, although there canbe many reasons for that perception. But unlike some... more traditional Matsu," Ishioka says, clearly disliking that word, "I am not one for brashness or bullying. I saw a samurai of good intent who perhaps was feeling overwhelmed - a feeling I can relate to quite well, in fact - and that seems to me someone worthy of assistance. I can see today that you are more confident, navigating this complicated environment better than I might have expected. So I would not push to aid you against your will, especially given our clan relations, but I do sincerely wish to help. Not to help you win Kaito-san, as there are several reasons I cannot do this, but in other efforts that promote your happiness."

The Stone Matsu looks at Soyokaze, a touch of tiredness around his eyes, his usually stony face relaxed, and friendship in his eyes.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 pm

"Yes, more confident but not truly confident. We have seven more days here and I do not know her mind, I'm too afraid to ask and I'm certainly anxious about the idea of...courting others. What if she takes offense and begins to hate me? How do I avoid courting one you seek without you telling me who to avoid? I would never wish to go against you even if I am not threat. I suppose I could talk to the Shika matchmakers but I not exactly trust them right now, this system they have devised is needlessly obtuse. So how do we proceed, do I just rattle off the names of those I find pretty or interesting? You probably know all of them."

This is so weird
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:16 pm

The Lion gives Soyokaze a tired smile, takes a sip of his tea, then sets it aside to reinforce his level of focus here.

"Asahina-san, we are not so different. The process we are going through is... very challenging... for all of us. Some of us have an easier time saying it out loud, but I do not believe anyone here truly feels confident about the outcomes that the matchmakers will decide. I..." Ishioka stops, closing his eyes for a moment and pursing his lips. "You are right, much is unknown. Really none of us have complete information. It is, for someone like me, who likes to analyze and make plans... To say it feels like being tossed around in a whirlwind seems an understatement. But a friend of mine said, 'We know what we feel, and can at least be honest about that.' I think she is right. I will tell you, if my heart could overrule a nakodo, I would be matched with Usogawa Narumi-san or Agasha Inoshishi-san. They are very different, and I do not understand myself why..." He chuckles. "Why either of them look at me as they do, but... Well, it sounds like you feel similarly about Kaito-san. But, just as you said, she is the only one with whom you've spent much time. If I focused all my thoughts on Agasha-san, I would be missing..." He stops himself. "I apologize, Asahina-san, as I am making this conversation sound like it is about me. I do genuinely feel like our situations are not that different, but let us focus on your wishes. What qualities do you seek in a match, whether they describe Kaito-san or not?"
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:26 pm

Soyokaze thought for a long moment, he wanted to hear more about the Matsu's week here both to stall his having to speak and out of sheer curiosity but he would not press the matter.

If he's nervous we're all doomed.

I suppose the most important part is that she must be interested in staying with her current clan, one way or another my time as a Crane is nearing an end. I would prefer she be kind." he paused a long time now. "I'm not sure what else matters. There are many I find physically attractive but using that as a guide seems shallow and I would do my duty regardless of it though bless the fortunes none here look like my sensei." He squirmed a bit thinking about that ugly old man. "I don't know, I want someone who doesn't hate me. I would prefer not to join the Lion simply to avoid the coming war and possibly having to watch my family fall. The Wall isn't exactly a desirable location even if my skills would be best used there they don't exactly have the luxury of art. Beyond that.." He held his hands up and shrugged. As for those I have met the only one I have any kind of a deep conversation with is Kaikoga Koi-san and that was only once with me spending most of that time spilling my soul out to her and her comforting me. I found it very easy to talk to her and find her to be lovely in both body and soul but i do not know her though it has been suggested to me that she prefers...other pursuits. I met Moto Mitsuki-sama just earlier today and i admire her devotion and well travelled spirit. Unsei-sama is a very interesting person who seems like they really enjoy life and don't worry about things over much. Beyond that I have only really met some in passing, I've met both of your chosen together two days ago but the conversation was difficult as when they approached I was trying to comfort Bai-san who had become upset so my mind was not fully in the conversation. Beyond that I have not personally met with any...well there was the night we first spoke...Kaikoga Fujiko, but...no."
Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Ishioka can see there's more for them to talk about, and he makes a mental note to do so. Poor kid, he thinks. The mention of an ugly sensei gives the Lion a chuckle and he smiles. Good. Humor is good.

"Hai, none of these samurai-ko would be unpleasant to see with the first eyes of the morning," he agrees. It's a little crass, but Ishioka knows it's necessary to transition from bonding to problem solving.

"Are there qualities that would trouble you? Certain clans? Obviously Lion, so nice that we don't have to worry about that," he says, voice warm, picking up in speed and lightheartedness. Is this... Ino-san's influence? He drives the question away to focus on Soyokaze. "Anything that troubles you? Animals? Allergies? Things that can make you present worse than the fine samurai that you are?"
Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:51 am

"Other than my dislike of War and bloodshed not really." He sighed and let another layer of his guard slip away, he was weary; but if the conversation but of the games. "I don't know what I want Ishioka-sama because I don't know what there is to want. Aside from my schooling with the Kakita I have spent nearly every day of my life within my father's estate. This is the longest I have ever been permitted to be away from home. I simply don't know what to want. You do, what do you want?"
Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:28 pm

The question directed at him catches Ishioka off guard, and he has to chuckle as he tries to gather his thoughts.

"Asahina-san, I thought I knew what I wanted. No Dragons, no minor clanners, a good partner to raise children -- well, that at least is still true... Uh, Asahina-san, I think it's fair to not know. We have only a little more influence on the choice here than if it was entirely up to our parents, right? But with that little influence, maybe we can do big things," he says encouragingly.

"Now, let's think... This aversion to war. Do you think it would... Would it be very hard to take a wife who's a warrior? So many samurai are, so it would make a match more challenging if you were really worried about that."
Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:52 am

"I have nothing against warriors, our empire exists because of them starting with Glorious Hantai-no-kami's battle with his father."

Why have I never thought of that before. My inspiration was right there.

"What I dislike are those who's fire rages uncontrolled, the blood thirsty."
Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 am

The irony of this conversation occurring between an Asahina and a Matsu is not lost on Ishioka, but he knows the kind of people who comment on ironies and he isn't one.

"So a brave but thoughtful warrior like Moto Mitsuki-san, or a beauty like Utaku Kheree-sama or Moshi Shizuka-sama... There are probably others, so I will look into it. Are any of those names pleasing for you to hear?" The Matsu's question could be taken as a crass one, invading Soyokaze's privacy, but Ishioka seems to want the answer asp part of his analysis.
Description