[D6, LM](Soyokaze's Forge) Charging Storm [Expecting]

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Asahina Soyokaze

Re: [D6, LM](Soyokaze's Forge) Charging Storm [Expecting]

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:48 pm

He gazed at the shield as she spoke about it's symbolism. "Should you decide to hold another ritual before we all depart here I would like to observe it, if that would not be rude or out of place. As for spears, yes basic yari are one of the first weapons they teach us to craft, using it to weed out those lacking talent before we are allowed to move on to something as complex as a katana. I have made a few and repaired many more for the Daidoji stationed in my family lands, are you perhaps seeking one as a gift?"
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:19 am

"Not really, just curious about who the Deer might be trying to marry to one of their owns. Matchmakers wield a great power after all, and their clan interests must weight in the balance at some point.

Except for our gracious hosts, I've actually seen very few persons train with what's supposed to be a classic weapon in the dojo.

Not that I'm much better myself. My technique with the spear is limited to directing the pointy end at my enemies during a cavalry charge, then to switch to the scimitar after the initial clash. Not something you need more than an average, cheap and disposable, weapon for.

There are people far more adept than me in the desert though, masters that are basically unapproachable when wielding a good one, whether they stand on their foot or on horseback.

That's for situations like that a clever warrior also carry a bow.

And sure, you can come at the departure ritual. As I told the Kitsu, these rituals are pretty much public. Shrines in the Burning Sands have no roof nor walls, all ceremonies are for all to enjoy."
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:08 am

Soyokaze's mood soured at the mention of the Lion but he said nothing on it.

"A holdover from one of the clan founders being a Daidoji assume, they are very common in southern Crane lands as you can imagine. I vaguely remember a conversation i had as a child with a member of the Ide who had come to my father's court. he had all kinds of fanciful tales but I think he said something about Unicorn horse spears that were massive in size, meant for taking a rider clean off his horse or that could kill a horse in one blow if the warrior was poor with his aim. Do you no longer use them or was that just a man telling funny stories?"
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:33 pm

"As a person changes clothes to match the weather, a warrior changes weapons depending on their enemies. These lances are used, but not on all fronts. Is the enemy on horse, on foot, on elephant? Heavily or lightly armored or shielded? Do they use spears themselves, and if so how long are they? Do they have bows?

Answer all these questions and I may be able to tell you what weapon was used in that fight. But typically, shock spears are more the impressive exception than the norm, a bit like the zanbatō is to other blades."
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:53 pm

"Ah, Lance, that is the name. Are these considered a sacred weapon? I would like to study them and perhaps make one some day if it would serve as an insult. It is not often to learn of a new weapon when your a smith. I once got in a bit of trouble at the academy because I got a bit bored making arrow heads and made a bisento in my free time for fun, it had no killing edge but was polished and etched to appear as if it had, it was useless as a weapon, pure art and truthfully one of my best."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 pm

"Oh, a lance is probably less sacred than your average yari. It's the kind of weapon that can very much be carved purely out of wood in an pinch.

That's even the very legend about its invention: A cavalry troop, forced to retreat into the woods by a superior force of spearspersons, and realizing by looking at the gigantic trees around them that they had all they needed to turn back the range advantage on their foes.

What's important is that it must be long enough to strike enemies in front of the rider, ahead of their horse, without them needing to bend forward to be in reach. Being quite robust and with a good grip, so it does not break or jump out of its user's hands on impact, is of course a critical plus. Everything's else is left to the smith's appreciation.

If you want a polearm of mythical status... Then, there's the Heart of the Wind."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 am

"I have heard of many legendary weapons, the Kakita are kind of obsessed with them, but I have never heard of this Heart of the Wind." He listened to his guest with rapt attention.
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:04 am

"They're custom made, extremely high quality, spears, usually twice the height of their intended user and ending with an exceptionally sharp tip. They can only be commissioned from a single village in the unwelcoming heart of the Burning Sands in exchange of a medium fortune. There are simply more resilient, flexible and light than any other polearm of such size.

A master wielding such a weapon, whereas on foot or on horseback, can strike their enemies from so far away and so swiftly it looks like it's the wind itself that's cutting them.

Many mysteries surround the way there are made, and no amount of diplomacy has been able to unveil them so far. Mostly, they are acquired as gifts from lords to trustful retainers like the head of their personal guard, though there are stories of them being offered in stranger circumstances. Some have been retrieved from the corpses of their previous owners, though few as the custom is to only take the tassel as a trophy, and to bury the spear itself alongside the person that rightfully owns it.

I've had to face such a weapon only once on an actual battlefield. I've only lived to tell the tale thanks to a quick horse and full quiver."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:51 pm

"I will have to find a way to visit Unicorn lands so I can learn more about these new weapons and fortunes. Well new to me, gomen." He offered an apologetic bow. "But the addition of a new fortune is a very rare event, I'm surprised that a bigger deal hasn't been made of this, the Phoenix cannot be happy about it."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm

"They're not exactly officially recognized as Fortunes... But then, past the original seven and about five other that are well-known, the exact identity of the Thousand Fortunes, or even the fact there's really exactly one thousand of them, is very much open to debate.

A lot of families through the Empire worship a Fortune that no one else ever heard about. I was barely arrived at Kyuden Shika that someone was telling me about a Fortune of Travel named Natsu, a name's that's likely as new to you that it was to me back then.

I'm sure some theologians among the Moto would like for the Sovereigns of Death, or at least some of them, to get an imperial seal of approval... But that's putting the cart before the horse, and inside-out to top."