[D5, LM](Soyokaze's Forge) Stinging Steel [Expecting]

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Asahina Soyokaze

[D5, LM](Soyokaze's Forge) Stinging Steel [Expecting]

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:29 am

Location Description: Inside a small stall at the far end of the artisan's market lives Soyokaze's temporary forge. A pair of cushions sit upon a single tatami mat just inside the stall's curtains, a small table for taking tea sits to one side. A waist high shelf covered in tool serves as a divider between the "reception area" and the heart of the forge. A number of unfinished pieces of varying quality sit about the space, while others are obscured by silk covers. A peg on one of the support beams holds Soyokaze's kimono when he is working.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soyokaze sat sullenly on his cushion, a small pile of ruined silver sat before him along side an untouched plate of tako and his tea. he studied the slag over and over, his mood growing darker as he struggled to decipher his mistake.
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Shosuro Hikimasu

Re: [D5, LM](Soyokaze's Forge) Stinging Steel [Expecting]

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:44 am

The entrance was swept aside by a masked man.

"Hoi, smith. I hear you do good work", he bowed. "I don't recall us meeting before, I am Shosuro Hikimasu."
Shosuro Hikimasu
Scorpion Clan • Bushi • Soldier • Dead Fish Eyes • Friend of Yūdaina

Honor: 41 Status: 35 Glory: 44
Carries: clothing, daisho, fan, mempo. Has ashigaru armor, daikyu and magnificent steed for battle.
Description
"Fulfillment is just another form of arrogance."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:27 am

The Crane looked up with a look of surprise and weariness, rising to greet his guest he offered a bow. "Greetings Shosuro Hikimasu-sama and welcome to my humble forge. Please enter, has Inari-no-kami blessed you this day; I have tea and tako please have some." He offered the Scorpion a cushion across from him. "To what do I owe this visit?"
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 am

He nodded in thanks and settled down onto a cushion across from the Asahina, a cup with three dancing foxes appearing in his hand like magic, likely from somewhere up his sleeve. He placed it down to accept the tea.

"Well, I'd heard there was an artisan of the Crane in town, and I'm in need of a gift to supply, perhaps several", he said, then looked thoughtful, but not in his eyes, it was the tilt of his head and placement of his hand on his chin. "As this is a miai, I have to wonder if you came here to further your reputation instead of finding marriage yourself, come to think of it." He picked politely refused the tako by moving the plate slightly to the side. "Is that true? Or is it a happy coincidence that you're here?"
Shosuro Hikimasu

Carries: clothing, daisho, fan, mempo. Has ashigaru armor, daikyu and magnificent steed for battle.
Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 am

Soyokaze poured a drink for his guest, then himself. "It is a ...happy coincidence yes, I am very much here seeking a marriage but that does not stop me from practicing my art and if I can aid my fellows then all the better it gives me a chance to make things I might not consider making on my own." he pushed aside the silver slag in front of him and reached to his side pulling a bell off a high table. "This for example is a bell I have crafted at the request of Kaito Oubaihime-sama for use in her temple duties." The bell was the size of a Hida's fist and the outer skin was copper but the inside was brass; the clapper was not yet attached. On side of the bell had the kanji for Water stamped into it and on the opposite side the Kaito family mon. The handle was a dark, almost black, wood that was lightly lacquered and had a small copper ring in the end with a loop of fine orange silk attached to it for tying to an obi. He offered it to the Shosuro.
Description

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:34 am

The Scorpion leaned forward, but put out a hand not in accepting it, but to refuse touching. "This is for someone else, if I touch it you'll just have bad luck attaching the clapper and break it."

To Hikimasu it was a very well crafted work of art, everything was straight, tidy, the kanji looked more or less painted on as if molten metal were on this Crane's color pallet.

A nod, and the Scorpion leaned back and took in the scent of the tea. "Not happy with it though, I see. Is the woodwork yours? Or did you source it from a local?"

Probably Koi, they've likely met. It's a miai.
Shosuro Hikimasu

Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 am

The Crane placed the bell down between them. "The wood is from a local artist, I had considered asking Koi-san but I do not wish to take up her time, she seems like a very sociable person she should be socializing." he looked wistful. "You are perceptive though Shosuro-sama, am I not happy with it, it is...competent; nothing more. I will likely try again, keeping this for reference." He took a sip of his tea and poured his guest more. "But how can I be of service to you, you mentioned gifts for several people?"
Description

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:10 am

He took his time, lowering his mask to drink.

"Mm. Yes, well...I have some ideas for one or another, but what you can help me with might be difficult. Do you have any experience with chimes, music boxes, things of that nature? I see you've done a bell, and though I know the Crab can be very intricate with some work involving engineering designs, I'm not certain what your school teaches."
Shosuro Hikimasu

Description

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:17 am

"Chimes yes but I have never attempted a music box like the Kaiu make." He was lost deep in thought for a moment as he considered the task. "It would be difficult, like nothing I have ever attempted before but I think I grasp how it might work. This...is not something I could produce quickly, especially if you wanted one for each of the intended." He raised an eyebrow slightly, hoping this would not be the case.
Description

Shosuro Hikimasu

Post by Shosuro Hikimasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 pm

"Oh well that I should only need one of, and for now this is all I'll be asking for. The rest I either need time to think on it or I may do something simpler to fit the intended", he said. "Though the internals...that is, how it produces music you have some time to think on." The scorpion sipped his tea. "I need to decide on a tune for it to play."
Shosuro Hikimasu

Description