[D4, EA, expecting] A certain kind of gift

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Matsu Ishioka

[D4, EA, expecting] A certain kind of gift

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:23 am

The rain might dissuade many of the people who would otherwise be part of a midday rush in the marketplace, but not the tall Lion with the slightly inadequate umbrella that let rain still hit both of his broad shoulders from time to time. He remained generally ignorant of the rather comical image he presented at these times, as his focus was on the merchants' wares. Today he seemed to be shopping more with his feet than previously, visiting one both and then another, circling back to one he'd seen before. He was certainly committed to some effort, but what it could be was entirely unclear to others in the square.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Utaku Kheree

Re: [D4, EA, expecting] A certain kind of gift

Post by Utaku Kheree » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:03 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:23 am
The rain might dissuade many of the people who would otherwise be part of a midday rush in the marketplace, but not the tall Lion with the slightly inadequate umbrella that let rain still hit both of his broad shoulders from time to time. He remained generally ignorant of the rather comical image he presented at these times, as his focus was on the merchants' wares. Today he seemed to be shopping more with his feet than previously, visiting one both and then another, circling back to one he'd seen before. He was certainly committed to some effort, but what it could be was entirely unclear to others in the square.
A somewhat strange sight was the one of a unicorn woman wearing a umbrella, it seems more for the benefit of the great dark bird sitting on her shoulder then her own as she was walking in between the stalls . She certainly did not look like she was searching for something in particular even if she took the time to look at different things that where offered to her.
Cat Unicorn • Female • Bushi-Sage • Dangerous Alure,Haunted Flirt,
Honor: 56 • Glory: 57 • Status: 30 • Courtship Points: 23
Carries: Raven,Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Scimitar inlaid with a red jewel in the hilt.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Utaku Kheree wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:03 pm
A somewhat strange sight was the one of a unicorn woman wearing a umbrella, it seems more for the benefit of the great dark bird sitting on her shoulder then her own as she was walking in between the stalls . She certainly did not look like she was searching for something in particular even if she took the time to look at different things that where offered to her.
As he begins to walk back to one stall he's already visited twice, the Lion stops in his tracks at sight of the Unicorn and her... unique look. His blank facial expression doesn't move, but his eyes narrow a little inn curiosity. This Is strangely perfect, he thinks.

He moves to approach the woman and her bird, giving a respectful bow and introducing himself. "Good afternoon Unicorn-sama," he says, erring on the side of respect until he understands the significance of the bird. "This one is Matsu Ishioka, nikutai of the Lion embassy guard at Kyuden Hida. I am pleased to meet you and would ask a couple of questions, if you'll indulge me?"
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Utaku Kheree

Post by Utaku Kheree » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:26 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:19 pm
Utaku Kheree wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:03 pm
As he begins to walk back to one stall he's already visited twice, the Lion stops in his tracks at sight of the Unicorn and her... unique look. His blank facial expression doesn't move, but his eyes narrow a little inn curiosity. This Is strangely perfect, he thinks.

He moves to approach the woman and her bird, giving a respectful bow and introducing himself. "Good afternoon Unicorn-sama," he says, erring on the side of respect until he understands the significance of the bird. "This one is Matsu Ishioka, nikutai of the Lion embassy guard at Kyuden Hida. I am pleased to meet you and would ask a couple of questions, if you'll indulge me?"
She offers him a bow in return. "This one bears the name of Utaku Kheree" , a harsh more guteral K then in a propper rokugan name, " and I shall offer answers as well as I can and willing to do so "
Carries: Raven,Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Scimitar inlaid with a red jewel in the hilt.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:37 pm

"Excellent. Thank you, Utaku-sama," he says, politely avoiding trying to say the uncommon name.

"I... I'm sorry, first I must ask about your companion here. I am not well versed in the customs of the Unicorn, but even still I feel I have missed something significant if such large birds are... typical?" The Lion clearly knows something about speaking with care, and his face shows no disdain or disrespect. His eyes are focused, though, giving a clear sense of curiosity about such a large raven.
Description

Utaku Kheree

Post by Utaku Kheree » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:37 pm
"Excellent. Thank you, Utaku-sama," he says, politely avoiding trying to say the uncommon name.

"I... I'm sorry, first I must ask about your companion here. I am not well versed in the customs of the Unicorn, but even still I feel I have missed something significant if such large birds are... typical?" The Lion clearly knows something about speaking with care, and his face shows no disdain or disrespect. His eyes are focused, though, giving a clear sense of curiosity about such a large raven.
"They are not, but among some of us , those keeping care of the sacreed steeds it is not unknown to be able to communicate with wild beasts. And so finding friends among them is not something unique, even if most of us do so with a horse."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Utaku Kheree wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:18 pm

"They are not, but among some of us , those keeping care of the sacreed steeds it is not unknown to be able to communicate with wild beasts. And so finding friends among them is not something unique, even if most of us do so with a horse."
"Fascinating," the Lion says, eyes and face remarkably steady thigh his voice suggests a certain appreciation. He observes the raven briefly and, aside from its size, it doesn't seem especially different than ravens anywhere in Rokugan.

"Ah, so... What I needed to ask," he begins, a little warmer and more animated although only modestly so. "I wonder if you could offer insight on gift giving among the Moto of your clan. I am usually rather adept at gift-giving, but the Unicorn are, uh, less well known to me," he says with great care. "I feel as though I've been through this market three times now and still... nothing seems quite right."
Description

Utaku Kheree

Post by Utaku Kheree » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:08 am

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 pm
Utaku Kheree wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:18 pm

"Fascinating," the Lion says, eyes and face remarkably steady thigh his voice suggests a certain appreciation. He observes the raven briefly and, aside from its size, it doesn't seem especially different than ravens anywhere in Rokugan.

"Ah, so... What I needed to ask," he begins, a little warmer and more animated although only modestly so. "I wonder if you could offer insight on gift giving among the Moto of your clan. I am usually rather adept at gift-giving, but the Unicorn are, uh, less well known to me," he says with great care. "I feel as though I've been through this market three times now and still... nothing seems quite right."
"Ohoho" she says after a moment trying to imitate a noblewomans laughter from a play. "One wonders why you would wish to learn to give such a gift on a Mia" she says clearly amused. " Fortunately for you, I shall not bear you ill will for not asking for a gift to me. As you are not .. quite who I wish to be gifted by.
Hmh. To ask in such a manner. For those among us that are wilder you first have to think about the culture of gifts.
Do not give something that can be considered to have a openeing at the bottom, like a umbrella, because that means that the recipient is in your debt, one that is open at the top is one that symbolises you being in their debt .
A scarf is one that is quite well , white or blue are the best colors there for the sky . You can also chose one in the colors of the clan but that symbolises more commitment.
Those among us that are more traveled also like clothes as the steppe is less wet then this area, and so a kimono or something else to be comfortable here would be well thought off. "

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:36 pm

The Lion listens with great attention, after showing no particular reaction to the feigned noblewoman voice.

"Even at a miai, I think a gift on first meeting someone is too... aggressive," he says in good humor, giving a flicker of a smile. "If Utaku-sama wishes, of course, we could speak again." The remark is not stressed, not creating an obligation, but the mostly non-expressive Lion's face makers clear it was not simply a jest either.

"But, yes, definitely no debts involved," he says seriously, very glad for that information. "And, on clan colors, I assume you mean something in my colors would be a strong commitment. Or the same if it's something in Unicorn purple?" Ishioka seems like a thorough student.
Description

Utaku Kheree

Post by Utaku Kheree » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:36 pm
The Lion listens with great attention, after showing no particular reaction to the feigned noblewoman voice.

"Even at a miai, I think a gift on first meeting someone is too... aggressive," he says in good humor, giving a flicker of a smile. "If Utaku-sama wishes, of course, we could speak again." The remark is not stressed, not creating an obligation, but the mostly non-expressive Lion's face makers clear it was not simply a jest either.

"But, yes, definitely no debts involved," he says seriously, very glad for that information. "And, on clan colors, I assume you mean something in my colors would be a strong commitment. Or the same if it's something in Unicorn purple?" Ishioka seems like a thorough student.
"It would depend on the how of the presentation there, as ,well one will wonder about the intent there, so a more neutral color would be a safer choice there " she says slightly amused. "And I knew it was not for me, as I am not a moto, even if I would wonder what you would pick for me "