[D2 LA] Gaijin Aficionados

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Kasuga Yoshi

[D2 LA] Gaijin Aficionados

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:49 pm

"Oh? You have some imports from outside the Empire? May I see them?" Yoshi looks over the stall with some interest, internally preparing himself to not laugh at the poor merchant who found himself snookered.
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Moto Mitsuki

Re: [D2 LA] Gaijin Aficionados

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:39 pm

Mitsuki was walking through the market on her way to the dojo, leisurely looking left and right for interesting deals. In particular, she still had yet to find a good local replacement for her usual eyeliner.

Hearing the words "gaijin goods", she knew she had to see what this was about even if only to be disappointed. It was very important to get a better understanding of the position of the Deer clan on the international market and...

Okay, she was just curious.

So she approached the stand with the discretion of a foreign warrior clad in bright white. Though at least she didn't have her face-paint on this time.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:07 pm

The shopkeeper shows him some sample of wood, supposedly taken from the Burning Sands that rendered a luscious fragrance when worked with.

Fake. Almost certainly fake. It's a valuable item that is easy to counterfeit, and hard to disprove if you don't know what you're looking for.

Unfortunately for the vendor, he probably was not, and Yoshi was. The poor sod probably didn't know that The Tortoise was about to make a remark about the vendor's prowess when he notices another figure in the area,. Dark hair set against hauntingly pale skin and black painted (he assumed!) lips that was haunting and otherworldly...and not at all unattractive.

"Unicorn-san, may I beg your expertise for a moment. I could use an unbiased perspective on the matter. The vendor claims to be selling pristine oudwood, and I hear that it a particular commodity of the Burning Sands. Do you have any light to shed? If it is legitimate, this man may be in need of investment."

Agenda Rolls-Gaijin Aficionados-Water/Courtesy | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image Image
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:27 pm

"The Burning Sands are a big place Tortoise-sama. You won't find a single aloe to the north, the west or the east of them, only in the verdant forest at their far south, jungles so dangerous only expert native scouts dare delve deep into them. It's a natural rarity, that refuses to be domesticated and grows or does not grow on trees without apparent rhyme or reason, so much that dedicated expeditions can search the wilderness for days without discovering any of good quality.

It's considered sacred in the region, and highly sought by nobles, priests, and apothecaries alike. On the market it is sold against its own weight in gold, and foreigners have to pay double.

So, if this was the genuine article, adding transport costs into the mix, it would be worth more than the rest of the shop put together. And likely sealed in a coffer inside the temple or the castle."

She grabbed the wood unceremoniously and looked at it from close.

"There are of course lesser essences that are not as rare, desired and expensive, and I don't pretend to know them all or to know them enough to ensure this is not one of them... But I highly doubt it. My bet would be on a more local variety that has been fixed."

---

Mostly fluff roll:
Survival [Water] check to try to identify a foreign plant / Passion: Travel I guess? | TN: ? | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image

Opportunity and strife canceling each other out
Passion: Travel -> - 3 strife
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Yoshi clucks his tongue at the merchant who now had the unfortunate position of having two samurai scrutinize his wares. "That's what you get for trusting the Mantis. I assume it was the Mantis, since a Tortoise would have loved to get you to pay full price for the real thing. I nd "

Yoshi turns to Mitsuki and bows. "Thank you Unicorn-san. Your assistance is appreciated. May I walk with you awhile, perhaps make an acquisition on your behalf to return the favor."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:37 pm

"Only if you first promise to not have us go through the three refusals Tortoise-sama. Yesterday's ceremony was already interminable.

Actually, are you in town for business or are you partaking in the miai yourself?"

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:15 am

A few stalls away, Matsu Ishioka was examining some artistic clothing accessories in great detail. He was quite focused on the task, his body language showing great engagement, but his face seemed relaxed and almost happy.

"Good merchant, I am partial to this piece, but I wonder if you might have more that are similar? I am looking for... just the right composition," the man says seriously, though there's a sparkle in his eye.

----------
Yoshi and Mitsuki, pay no attention to me, just trying to get a good shopping roll.
Design/Water for perfect piece to complement Inoshishi's triple twist obi. Water 3. | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image Image
Success even if TN3.
Had 6 strife after reset. Add 2, then remove 3 from triggering Passion:Generosity. Ends at 5.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:37 pm
"Only if you first promise to not have us go through the three refusals Tortoise-sama. Yesterday's ceremony was already interminable.

Actually, are you in town for business or are you partaking in the miai yourself?"
" Ha!" Yoshi guffaws. "Fair enough. I play the game because it's expected, but I certainly will not complain about cutting out the show if you don't care for it. I think there's an eel stand around here if you like street food"

Yoshi seems relaxed despite the difference and rank and the Unicorn's appearance.

" I am here for the miai, like yourself I believe. However, there is always a business opportunity if it look, and catching two fish in one net certainly does not hurt"

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:46 pm

"The name's Moto Mitsuki, from the ten thousand blades of the Khan, and indeed I came to Kyuden Shika for wedding-related purposes."

She smirked:

"You wouldn't be a real merchant if you did not at lest look into new business opportunities. As to if you'll find some or not, and if you'll burn your wings in doing so or not, it all depends on your skills I guess.

Good luck to you in all cases. There are way worst places to attempt to seal a deal anyway. The Deer looks quite rich for a minor clan, and rich people always look for ways to spend their money.

Actually, if it's that lucrative, maybe you should invest into a business of importing youngsters and exporting spouses yourself?"

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:46 pm
"The name's Moto Mitsuki, from the ten thousand blades of the Khan, and indeed I came to Kyuden Shika for wedding-related purposes."

She smirked:

"You wouldn't be a real merchant if you did not at lest look into new business opportunities. As to if you'll find some or not, and if you'll burn your wings in doing so or not, it all depends on your skills I guess.

Good luck to you in all cases. There are way worst places to attempt to seal a deal anyway. The Deer looks quite rich for a minor clan, and rich people always look for ways to spend their money.

Actually, if it's that lucrative, maybe you should invest into a business of importing youngsters and exporting spouses yourself?"
Yoshi purses his lips for a moment. " Well, there are a few problems with that particular market, not the least of which is that we are still samurai. That's an industry that has major complications to import in from outside the Empire. The internal trade is cutthroat enough"

" What about you Mitsuki-san, have you been abroad much yourself?"