[D1, EE, expecting] A learning experience

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Matsu Ishioka

Re: [D1, EE, expecting] A learning experience

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 pm

Ishioka holds off a small urge to defend against the feigned swat. This Dragon is not threatening. She's... playful? The Matsu continues to struggle with how far removed from his expectations Inoshishi is.

"So, here just around this corner," he says, leading on without ever having tried to increase the space between them. "This noodle cart is quite easy to miss -- I actually found it by tracing back where the people with the bowls of noodles seemed to come from -- but, ahhh, such a pleasing depth of flavor." In negotiating through the market and around other people, it's possible Ishioka shifted his arm to pull the Dragon woman in close beside him, their hips bumping together for a moment, though he gave no indication at all that this was anything more than a chance occurrence.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 am

The Dragon inhales deeply, savoring the scent of tasty tasty noodles.

“So after stalking his prey through the wildness if the Deer’s market, you were able to corner it and beat it into submission?”

While this could certainly be said with a sneer, the hidden laughter in Inoshishi’s voice and eyes invites others to join in in a spirit of fun.

“What an incredible, tasty journey you’ve been on! I suppose now we shall taste the fruit of your hunt. I trust you, Ishioki-san. You may order for me.”

She’s clearly not trying to move away either. Her sweet scent is very clear now, as sweet as her smile.
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:55 am

The Matsu's eyes narrow at Inoshishi's joke, without further reaction, and he lets her consider that as he steps forward to order them food. In the time between placing theorder and it getting ready, he turns to her with a bit of a glare in his eyes. He starts speaking in a grave voice, "You..." But he doesn't try to hold the ruse.

With a smirk on his face, he says, "You think I'm such an unskilled hunter that I beat prey into submission?" He's given up on acting offended, although there's a thread of genuine concern within his question.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 am

For a brief moment Inoshishi wonders if, like always, she’s pushed it a bit too far. So as the Matsu turns she makes sure to turn on the charm, dial the cuteness and innocence up to 11 as it were, and meet his gaze steadily.

“Only if you didn’t have any other weapons! Plus, the only way you could beat it would be if you caught it, so clearly I’m complimenting your dashing lion charge! Plus I bet you roar really really well. Plus, you’re kinda cute when you glare.”

She grins, relishing this moment as if it were something out of a fairy tale. And who knows, for her, perhaps it is.
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 am

As Ishioka's joke is first blunted by cuteness and then largely turned back on him, his eyes widen somewhat in disbelief. What do I do with this Dragon?

"You... are..." The Matsu begins to say, not even really sure himself how this sentence ends.

"Matsu-sama," a polite but insistent voice comes over his shoulder. The Lion turns to find their food ready and the operator of the noodle cart smiling with great expectation that he'll get the food cleared from the limited space. Ishioka, somewhat thankful for the cover, obliges and scoops up several dishes that Inoshishi doesn't really get to see until she follows the Matsu around a corner.

He begins to set the dishes down on one of just a few, very modest tables that have been squeezed in where another merchant stall would otherwise be. As the Agasha closes and can see past him, she discovers two very similar looking bowls of noodles, a third bowl containing what is obviously chicken with fairly significant seasoning, and another small bowl containing some kind of a sauce, presumably to accompany the chicken.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Inoshishi inhales happily, letting the spices fill her nose.

“Mmm, good food, good company, there’s nothing better! Are you excited for the interviews tomorrow? I think I am. I mean, I love talking, as you’ve found out, and interviews often mean a lot of talking. Except when the sensei gives lots of background and stuff and then wants a single small answer. Those are just the worst! What’s it like to be a Matsu warrior? The Mirumoto are alright but they’re kinda boring, always practicing drawing their sword and striking and stuff. Which makes sense, but there’s more to life than fighting! There’s stories and plays and fireworks and mushrooms and all sorts of things! What are your favorite things? I mean, after your duty to the emperor and your lord and family. And obviously I don’t mean things you’d think of as higher than that because there is nothing higher than that! But within that, what are your favorite things? I bet you know mine!”

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:31 pm

"I think I know at least some of them," he says pleasantly, giving a shard of smile that is probably best described as a smirk. "And I'll tell you about my favorite things, and share a story like I promised," he says, settling in opposite the Agasha. His voice goes softer, clear enough for Inoshishi but not to carry beyond their table. "But first a question. What do you like to do quietly?" The Matsu looks a touch more human and genuine, less stony, as he asks it. His eyes are warm and curious, very attentive to the answer.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 am

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:31 pm
"But first a question. What do you like to do quietly?"
The Dragon woman chuckles quietly for a moment.

“Oh, quite a bit, though I don’t often look like it. I like to hunt mushrooms quietly, and when I grind metals and ores, I certainly need the silence!”

She smiles, arranging herself and her kimono so that she can listen carefully while presenting a pretty, if meager, picture.

She’s clearly very interested in the story, her eyes never straying from the Matsu’s.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:05 am

Agasha Inoshishi wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 am
The Dragon woman chuckles quietly for a moment.

“Oh, quite a bit, though I don’t often look like it. I like to hunt mushrooms quietly, and when I grind metals and ores, I certainly need the silence!”

She smiles, arranging herself and her kimono so that she can listen carefully while presenting a pretty, if meager, picture.

She’s clearly very interested in the story, her eyes never straying from the Matsu’s.
The Matsu raises one eyebrow as a clear question when the woman mentions grinding what he presumes are things that make significant noise when ground. That's an interesting answer.

"We should take a walk sometime, a stroll in the woods. We are both hunters, at least to some degree, so it might be... illustrative." He quickly snags and consumes a bite of chicken, purposefully delaying the story a bit to observe her patience.

Before the test stretches on too long, Ishioka clears his throat gently. "I'll start with a simple story, that helps to explain me. If you like it, I can tell more," he smiles a little at the Dragon, guessing that no matter how lame the story, she'll want to hear another.

"When I was young, because my sisters were older and aspiring to join the Lion's Pride one day, they didn't have much time for me. But I had a Crab grandfather... well, former Crab, Lion by marriage, anyway. My grandfather was very patient. He'd been an engineer on the Wall as a young man, so he'd learned a lot about a lot of things, and he always said that patience and endurance - holding on until things get better - are the most important qualities. Which, I think, sunk in pretty thoroughly. Helped make me a good fit for duty in the Crab lands, although I'm not sure there was a lot of competition for that assignment after gempukku."
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:18 pm

“Hunting would be fun! It so nice to have some quiet time in the forest.”

Patience… yeah she doesn’t have much of that. She shifts in her seat in anticipation, fidgeting as she waits for the Matsu to continue. She nods eagerly as he begins, her grin again broadening as she thinks of how a little version of this Matsu would have looked. As he finishes, she ponders, chewing another bite of food as she watches him.

“Yes, I can see that. You’ve certainly got the patience thing down. I’m not that patient, but everyone says I’m great at teaching others patience, so if you ever need more you should definitely come to me!”