[D1, EE, expecting] A learning experience

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Matsu Ishioka

[D1, EE, expecting] A learning experience

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Matsu Ishioka's steps, due to his long gait, had to be restrained a little to ensure he not leave his companion behind as they approached the town market. Such a concern rarely arose in the Crab lands, but here Ishioka was more above average in height.

His companion also seemed exceptional, at least in his eyes, although he had not entirely figured out what that meant.
Past Ishioka wrote: A respectful but insistent tap had come at Inoshishi's door at a respectable interpretation of "dinner time." The paper walls would reveal a large shadow from the somewhat imposing looking bushi outside the door: Matsu Ishioka.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Re: [D1, EE, expecting] A learning experience

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:53 pm

Inoshishi picked up her pace a little, familiar with putting a little skip every third or fourth step to keep up.

She’d been dressed, of course when he arrived. She’d chosen an interesting theme for dinner tonight. Her obi is made of three intertwined golden-yellow belts that almost seem to be lion colors. Or perhaps simply faded obis in traditional Dragon gold. She’s wearing a utilitarian kimono, but worn nearly perfectly. And, just to keep things interesting, she appears to have put three feathers in her hair, one a shimmery Crab brick red, the next a pearly green, and the final a tawny yellow fading into a deep gold.

She hoped she’d surprised the Lion, but there was no chance of noticing if she did, damn his poker face! Regardless, she was excited to see what dinner would bring. Rather than play coy, she moved forward, taking the samurai’s arm in a gesture both friendly and intimate, clearly flirting with…something. Possibly him? Possibly the concept of a miai? Possibly not at all. As she walked off with his arm in a random direction, she looked over her shoulder. “Where to?”
Dragon * Chronicler * Too Thin * smells like mochi * fireworks
Starting day 5, Shichi charm with braided ribbon, yellows, greens, and a red
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)
Starting day 9, LA, has ink stains on fingers. (gone d11)
Starting D13, new bracelet
Honor is the ideal. Unremarkable Retainer. Average Samurai

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:01 am

Inoshishi's initial presentation may not have been enough to elicit a visible reaction from the Lion, but certainly grabbing his arm had gotten a reaction. It was, of course, a muted one, as befit the Stone Matsu, but as he stared briefly at the woman's hands on his arm, and then looked at her as she started to pull him toward the stairs, she could see that behind the unflinching face, through the slightly narrowed eyes, was a man frantically trying to understand what was happening to him.

"Ah," he tries to respond intelligently, but is still intellectually off balance. He plants his feet to pause before she gets him further down the hall, and then starts again: "I believe I've found a favorable place to eat near the town market." His voice carries a hint of still being uncertain if this is really happening, and his reflect that feeling as well.

Interestingly, unless Inoshishi releases Ishioka's arm, he makes no effort to remove it from her.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:52 am

“Great, I love the market! You can see so many interesting people from interesting places! And they’ve all got stories to tell! Stories are the best, there’s truth to them, you know? Even if it’s muted or buried in time. It’s like when two strong bushi”

briefly she squeezes the Stone Lion’s arm, whether out of enthusiasm for her words or for some other reason, who can tell? Presumably not Ishioka, that’s for sure.

“Touch their saya, they demonstrate the hidden truth if their blade without bringing it out and crudely hold it up before the light. Some truths are too hard”

Another squeeze!

“To speak aloud. I’m so excited about the food you found in the market! What style is it? I really like Phoenix-style chicken. Did you know Crab noodles are much bigger than other noodles? I bet you do, cause you’re stationed in Shiro Hida after all. What’s your favorite part about Crab lands? Why’d you get assigned there? I bet it’s the Wall. I mean, your favorite part. After all, it’s tall and strong too!”

She takes a skipping step forward, not releasing the Stone Matsu’s arm, seeing if she could indeed support herself from his arm.

“My favorite part was the iron dust from the mines! Did you know that if you toss it right, it can make a fire turn dark red, like the Crab colors? And if you do that right, everyone goes ‘woo’ right at the same time. And also, it’s so important to all the heimin. The iron mine, I mean. So what’s for dinner?”
Starting day 6, LE has weirdly mottled hands, all colored in browns and yellows, as if her skin had changed color. (fading D10, gone d13)

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm

As the Dragon puts forward her stories and questions, Ishioka remains slightly unconvinced that this is really happening to him. I don't... A Dragon who's like this? Fortunately, as Inoshishi seems more than capable of holding up both sides of a conversation, it provides the Lion with a few moments to consider the situation. He cycles through a series of eyebrow raises, narrowed eyes and head nods that clearly doesn't discourage Inoshishi from continuing, but also doesn't consume all his focus. He decides he needs to test a theory, and, as the young woman eventually does have to stop to breathe, the Matsu says, "You look pretty." He pauses briefly to observe her reaction, then before she can start speaking again adds, "The feathers are especially interesting. Is there a message to the colors?"
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm
the Matsu says, "You look pretty." He pauses briefly to observe her reaction, then before she can start speaking again adds, "The feathers are especially interesting. Is there a message to the colors?"
And all thoughts of dinner fly out the window. Even though they’re now standing in the middle of the market. Totally the best place possible to have this conversation.

“You really think so? Of course you do, you’re a lion, and a Stone one at that, I bet you don’t believe in flattery at all!”

She inclines her head slightly in thanks, which also puts the feathers almost in Ishioka’s face.

“I don’t know about a message, but there’s a story! Everything has a story! So I like feathers, because they go well in my hair, like you noticed! So whenever I see a pretty one, I collect it for later. The red one I found in Crab lands, I think it’s from a cute little nut eating bird with a pretty song, but I’m not certain. The green one is from a peacock, that’s why it’s so shiny. I found it in Otosan Uchi when I was studying there! And the tawny one is from an eagle in Dragon lands! Since we were both there, I decided the red one would be a good look. In Crab lands, I mean, I don’t if you’ve ever been to Dragon lands! If not, you really should, I think you’d like it.”

She blushes prettily, realizing after the fact that she may have said too much, like always

“So then I thought I should put the green in em cause that’s kinda like me, it’s Dragon colors after all. And then the eagle feather seemed like a good idea because it reminds me of Lion colors, and eagles are really strong and don’t show anything when you look at them, so I thought it was a good idea! I’m so glad you noticed!”

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Ishioka finds himself enjoying the story, and by the end there's a definite softness to his eyes as he looks at her. "You, um, picked something that you thought I'd like?" The voice, still well controlled, does clearly betray that this is unexpected to him.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:51 pm

Inoshishi flashes a happy smile at the brief change in the Matsu’s demeanor.

“Of course I did! You’re interesting and different from Dragon samurai. So I know you have lots of stories and I bet you never tell them to anyone. And I like stories, especially stories that aren’t told often! And besides, this is a miai after all, and who knows, maybe…so anyway, I said ‘Inoshishi, you need to make a good impression. Stone doesn’t talk, it only watches and listens. So you’d better look good, cause I know you’ll sound good. And what better way to look good than to show that I listen and look good in lion colors?”

The blush. It’s back.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm

In the conflict between stone and propriety, stone won and Ishioka stared at the Dragon. In the conflict between stone and amazement, amazement won and Ishioka's mouth opened for a time without him able to put words together.

"That's... all very sensible," he finally says. "Logical." It sounds like he didn't expect that to be the case. He looks down. "And you do... look good, um..." Ishioka twitches his head a little, a very modest version of a head shake to clear his thoughts.

"We, um, we should eat. That was the plan," he says, seeming to return to a steadier bearing with the redirection. "I'll, uh, I'll share a story, while we eat," he offers, trying to smooth over the slightly abrupt transition.
Description

Agasha Inoshishi

Post by Agasha Inoshishi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:10 pm

Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm
“That's... all very sensible," he finally says. "Logical."
Inoshishi grins at the halting compliment. Yes, she is different and quite frequently late, but as the saying goes, she can tell a hawk from a handsaw, even if she’s more likely to tell you a story about handsaws than use one.
Matsu Ishioka wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm
"And you do... look good, um..." Ishioka twitches his head a little, a very modest version of a head shake to clear his thoughts.

"We, um, we should eat. That was the plan," he says, seeming to return to a steadier bearing with the redirection. "I'll, uh, I'll share a story, while we eat," he offers, trying to smooth over the slightly abrupt transition.
She blushes again, happily. “Yup, food was the plan! So where is this secret gem you’ve found hidden away? How did you find it? And what is it!”

She playfully swishes her hand towards the Lion’s arm in a swatting gesture. She doesn’t make contact or even get close. After all, it’s best not to poke the Lion.