(D0, LM) What does one wear to a miai

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Kuni Yasu

Re: (D0, LM) What does one wear to a miai

Post by Kuni Yasu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:04 am

"hmm..more like bog hags and several other critters that have some talent at pretending to be people tend to both hate and be hated by cats. Most dogs too, though I've heard of some being suborned." Yasu continues on, with all evidence of good cheer as she carefully refolds the yukata. "Course you have to be a little careful since there's cat demons too, but they don't tend to work with others much, and I've *never* heard of a kitten demon."

Holding the folded clothing carefully away from the dust on her current outfit, she follows toward the display or hair ornaments. "Pretty lot. Guess I'm not surprised how many have deer or horns, wonder if those are good luck for a match?" Thoughtful, Yasu circles back to talk of the types of matches. "Been in love a few times yourself then? Or is that more like...something you learn in matchmaker lessons?"
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 am

"Oh... oh!" Colour touched her cheeks and Narumi smiled a little, shaking her head. "Everything i know of love is scholarly. I've never had the pleasure. Or rather, none have shown an interest in me. If they had, I'm sure my aunt would've made sure I knew, and made it clear if she approved or not.
Not that that would matter... And especially not here."
She picks up a polished bone hair piece and admires it for a moment.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:10 am

"Ahh. Guess I thought things'd be closer? or maybe more informal living across boats and all. Hard to meet a lot of new people out in Kuni lands, except at the Solstice gathering in the winter, but I figured Otter would get a ton of chances traveling all over." Yasu fixes her eyes on the ornament. "Wonder if that's deer bone, or if they avoid using those? Would show up well in all that dark hair."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:14 pm

"Hai, I meet a lot of people. And living on the water, with no stable place to call home means that Otter learn to trust quickly and make friends wherever we end up. But friends don't immediately equate to romantic interest, and I've been... busy, assisting my aunt with her matchmaking, I guess I've been too focused on the love lives of others to worry much about my own?
I've always been fascinated by the Crab way of life though, it seems so noble, so straight-forward. There's a lot to appreciate there."
She nodded, considering the piece before setting it back down. "Maybe another time." She stole a glance at the Kuni again.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:40 am

Yasu nods along "Yeah, it can be easy to miss stuff when you're focused." She starts looking through some obi for one that would match the new item of clothing. "Like last summer, my cousin Sakura asked me to help her clean and purify this wolf skull as a trophy. Kind of the first job her dad had sent her to solve in one of their villages and all. It was kind of an involved project, but a lot of fun. hmm...and then when I was heading back home at the end of the season she just kind of...gave me the skull? And she'd done some carving on it and everything. Was showing my brother when I got home and he's like...'so did you kiss?"" Yasu chuckles, picking up a plain black obi. "Looking back, I kind of had to agree with him that she was dropping hints and I was umm...studying other things entirely. You should ask some of those friends what you've been missing."

Leaving the belt draped over one arm, she continues browsing through them. "Hadn't heard many call the Crab noble, honestly. Nice to hear some think so. It's a hard life in spots, for sure. But you really appreciate the nice bits then, you know?

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:14 pm

She enjoys the Kuni's small story very much, and her smile speaks her truth.
"Perhaps this one should stay close to Kuni-san, reaping the value of her powers of perception and many eyes, in case this one continues to remain blind," Narumi sought out the obi's as well, admiring the cacophony of colours that all competing for her attention, but being drawn to the darker fabrics as well.
She glanced at Yasu, considering.
"I find a simple life to be most amenable, there's something to be admired in a straight-forward existence without pretexts and double-bladed meanings to every conversation. I... find a kindred spirit with many of the Crab I encounter along the rivers, and it is always a joy to share a bowl of rice with your clan... And keep the sake ever-flowing, of course," she smirked.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:25 pm

"We do appreciate good sake, and tolerate the less good stuff for the sake of its effects." Yasu nods absently, with a smile as another obi, one with a bamboo pattern embroidered in deep green and gold, joins the first. Looking back up from the clothing with a warmer smile, she adds, "Not sure I've demonstrated a great eye for that kind of thing. But who knows? Maybe it's easier to see directed at someone else, neh? I'll be sure to point that kind of thing out if I see it aimed for you, Usogawa-san. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest. It's what everyone's here for, after all. Just a matter of...hmm...training some new tricks of observation, I guess."

"What do you think of these?" She gestures to the display. "Oh...and I guess I ought to ask if you're looking for something too? Instead of just asking advice."

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 pm

"Hmm, you know, I'm not exactly sure. I suppose I'm trying to suss out what exactly I like? Shopping for myself is new territory for me, when one has an aunt as... committed to managing one's appearance as my own, one learns to let them paint you into a figure of their choosing. There are certain standards to be upheld, as a matchmaker on the river, and I just sort of... wear whatever is set out for me," Narumi chuckled, perhaps a little bit of bitterness there.
"But here, at this miai, perhaps I can paint a picture more personalized, less what my aunt thinks I should be... Though I admit I'm a little overwhelmed! I am much better at giving advice to others!"

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Pulling a third obi, this one with flowers on deep red actual silk, Yasu holds up the pile. "A little overwhelming...yes! I haven't chosen a lot of my own stuff either and there's so much." She looks over Narumi's current outfit, eyes traveling obviously down then up, pausing at patterns or accessories on the way. "I mean, this all seems rather pretty, so I suppose your aunt's taste is good? But I guess you could grab up something completely in the other direction and see how you like it? Try it on?"

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm

She laughed lightly, "Trying things in the completely opposite direction from what my aunt would choose... I think that's my goal for the entire miai..." her dark eyes widened at the thought.
She gaze tracked back to the hair ornaments, and it seemed she'd decided on the bone piece after all. The exchange was made and the hair piece purchased. Narumi clutched it close to her chest. Something for herself.
"If this one can be of any assistance, even if Kuni-san might like to sit in the shade sometime between events and simply discuss candidates and speak aloud their merits or perceived faults... for her own clarification and evaluation, of course... Sometimes talking over things aloud can bring a clarity not found simply from internal monologuing..." she flustered a little, colour touching her cheeks.
"I mean to say, I would very much enjoy getting to know Kuni-san and her likes and dislikes better. If it pleases her."