(D10 ME, Forge) Friendly Rival

A gathering of vendors for artistic materials and products
Kitsu Murato

Re: (D10 ME, Forge) Friendly Rival

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:43 pm

"She chooses to spend time with him. They do things together. That is not courting. I work out, get sweaty and make innuendos with Sasaki Tanabe... we're not lovers. You are reading into it too much, I promise. Though I will say, I wouldn't put it past him to have said such things to needle you if you said something that upset him as well," he says shaking his head. "So if you were having an argument at the time... you really can't take that at face value. We bards are taught how to inflame as much as to calm."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:49 pm

"Our conversation had been pleasant up to that point, he said it as he was leaving. Even if it is not intent to court her he is in the eyes of the Shika and those does a disservice to you, how can you be so calm about this?"
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:05 pm

"Because Bai is a beautiful, talented, capable young woman. We are not the only ones interested in her. The deer could pair her with someone she hasn't even spoken to at this miai. I cannot let that fear drive my actions. I have suspected that the bells she wears are from you, even though she does not mention them to me. She likely does not wish to hurt by bringing it up, and I don't want to ask and make her uncomfortable. But every time I hear them jingle I don't think of you, I think of her," he says with a shrug.

"But while that was all a lovely attempt at a distraction from my actual question, I'm going to repeat it. And will continue to do so each time you change the subject. Why is Bai going to need me?"
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Soyokaze stood and started to pace, uncertainty and anguish playing across his face.

You have to tell him, he's the only other one that deserves her, but he WILL tell her.

"I have been challenged."
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:24 pm

"By who, over what?" he asks, assuming that the since he was afraid of not being around for Bai that it was to the death.

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:35 pm

Soyokaze sat back down and gave the Kitsu his full attention.

"Two days I entered to baths and found myself alone there with Seppun Yuzu. I attempted to converse with him but he was in a sour mood and turned my every word into an insult so I fell silent. he then started asking me about my time here and I spoke a bit too openly. I spoke of a woman who had claimed my heart and the Lion who also loved her. Then I made my mistake, in my wistfulness I let Bai's name slip. This greatly angered the Seppun, saying my words and actions were improper. I apologized repeatedly but he would not hear my words. he demanded the name of the Lion I spoke of but I refused, citing his own standards regarding naming people at a Miai. He then demanded that I stop courting Bai."

He took another drink of his sake.

"And I said "No." because I would honestly rather die. I tried to refuse his challenge but he would have none of it, either I stopped courting Bai or we duel. So we duel."
Description

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 pm

"You should not have accepted," he said with a sigh. "It would have been better to offend him by ignoring him and walking away. Soyokaze... you blundered by accepting. How far along has the challenge progressed. Do you have champions and witnesses lined up?"

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 pm

"It is done. I spoke to the Emerald Magistrate this morning and he has signed off on it, I have sent letters to the Shika and Kakita Reina has agreed to be my champion. It happens tomorrow."
Description

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:39 pm

"And have you told Bai?" he asks. "Also... no matter if you win or lose, you were sent here with a duty. It is not Seppun Yuzu's place to determine who courts who. If he manages to defeat your champion, don't use words that suggest you'll stop courting her. Use words that flatter him instead. 'The heavens have shown that you are a more worthy match than me for Oubaihime.' And if he loses, give him a polite bow, walk away and never talk to him again." he suggests.

"He is not a Shika, a nakodo, your lord, or the emperor. Attending the miai is a duty. He is interfering with that duty... I..."

"I'm going to be there. Tell me where and when."

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:23 am

"Of source I haven't told her, what would you have me say? "'m sorry love of my life but an Imperial has demanded that I never speak to you again? Because that is what he wants, that's what he means by "court her". I swear to the fortunes I think he means to marry her himself. I mean that Murato-san, I may have been bad at judging the character of some here but believe me when I say that I AM him. He may be angry where I an frightened but we are so alike it hurts me to see him. He may not had grow up with the violence I did but I can guarantee you his upbringing was abusive. He has been made to believe that matters of the heart are vile and a weakness. He is me before I came here and found joy. Like me he has, in his own mind, found nothing but failure here but where I have blamed myself he seeks to blame others. Now he faces another failure, because he has challenged the Crane to a duel. Do you really think this kid no one has ever heard of can beat a Kakita Topaz Champion in a duel? Reina will win, he will be forced to apologize to me in front of the Shika and Bai will never have to worry about any of it. Because you aren't going to say a word of this to anyone. And you certainly won't be there because if the worst does happen, if it turns out he is a dueling prodigy, you cannot become the next target of his ire."
Description